Fuel Flap Open and Closing Mechanism Polo 6R

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Me9141
Getting There!

Fuel Flap Open and Closing Mechanism Polo 6R

Post by Me9141 »

All,

Trying to repair a friends car.

His fuel flap push to open and close mechanism has stopped working. Has become a bit of a pain when trying to put fuel into the car. Its a 2009 Petrol 6R.

Looks as though the little mechanism is broken, looking to get another at a scrappy, anybody had any experience with replacing?

Is it difficult?

Any help is much appreciated.
Me9141
Getting There!

Re: Fuel Flap Open and Closing Mechanism Polo 6R

Post by Me9141 »

Thank you for that.

Great help.
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Mine seems to get stuck...when im at the pump i have to keep on pressing the unlock button while jabbing at the flap to get it to open up

is that common?
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

I noticed today that on my Polo the flap doesn't lock anymore when I lock the car. When the car is locked and I press the flap, it clicks and pops out just as if the car was unlocked.
Malfunctioning of the fuel flap lock seems to be a very common thing with VW's, especially the old locking pin solenoid systems but also in the newer systems like in the 6R/Golf mk7. However, all the cases I've seen on the web is about the flap being stuck in locked mode. In my case the problem is the opposite, that the flap won't lock at all. Has anyone had this particular problem?

Warranty expired a month ago, so I'd like to fix it myself if possible. If the actuator is defective, would it be visible as a fault code in VCDS? It like to know if it's the actuator so I don't go out and buy one and it turns out the problem is something else...
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Maybe it can be solved with WD-40 and lithium grease...with a very small amount of both in that order. Image
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote:Maybe I can be solved with WD-40 and lithium grease...with a very small amount of both in that order. Image
It doesn't seem like the issue is something mechanical like friction or corrosion. The locking plunger pin clicks and slides out perfectly smooth when pressing the fuel flap. Pressing in again makes it slide in and click. Just as it should do when the car is unlocked.

The problem is that when the car is locked, pressing the fuel flap should NOT make the locking plunger pin click and slide out. The central locking system should prevent this electronically.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Ok...
FYI: this part has had several updates, the latest is 6R0810773F, from model year 2013, so your WRC has this same part. It also fitted to the 6C (2016).
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote:Ok...
FYI: this part has had several updates, the latest is 6R0810773F, from model year 2013, so your WRC has this same part. It also fitted to the 6C (2016).
WRC's were built 2013 but they are model year 2014. According to ETKA, model year 2014 uses 6R0810773F so you are correct.

I would like to make sure the problem is the flap actuator before buying a new one. Would I be able to see a fault code in VCDS for the actuator? I think you know more about VCDS than most people :wink:

Or does anyone know if it is possible to test the function of the actuator somehow to determine whether it is defective or not?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

yeah, but knowledge has been acquired by checks/test and errors :oops: ... I googled many times about data sheet Continental BCM PQ25 unsuccessfully :mrgreen: .

Returning to the subject, unfortunately I do not know, test to remove the connector and make a VCDS autoscan... :?:
More info:
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote:More info:
Thank you. Unforunately I'm not sure how to interpret this kind of wiring diagrams.

Since I know that the rest of the central locking system is working (doors and boot lid), is it safe to assume that the fuel flap actuator itself is defective? Since it seems like the BCM sends the correct signal and the other lock actuators all work properly?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Yes, but... what says user manual with respect to this?
At the end I will have to do a study of the first five BCM Bytes with respect to the tank filler flap... :lol:
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote:Yes, but... what says user manual with respect to this?
At the end I will have to do a study of the first five BCM Bytes with respect to the tank filler flap... :lol:
The user manual doesn't say much about this. It says that to open the flap, you first have to unlock the car, then press on the flap so it pops open. It doesn't say much else :lol:
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

I was just thinking that these bcm are installed in different VW models, perhaps some of these models have a different setting for tank filler flap. I do not know...
However, thank you very much for commenting what the user manual says ... you know ... the user manual disappears after the first day of use. :lol:

When I have time for a new session with VCDS cable I will investigate on this.
You can also do it ... :P
dsorinn
New
Drives: Polo 6r, 1.6 TDI 140 HP

Post by dsorinn »

Same problem here. The fuel flap mechanism doesn't lock when the car is locked.

By now I haven't seen a test option for this on VCDS. Also there is no error for this one.