Car Net App Conect retrofit

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

Car Net App Conect retrofit

Post by rsmagee »

So now this has been added to the configurer, do people think we will see this as a dealer upgrade I think it is purely software with no additional hardware so an update should do it.

Let me know if anyone hears anything from a dealership or VWUK
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: Car Net App Conect retrofit

Post by vc-10 »

The only thing that worries me is anything to do with Apple might well require certain chips to be in the unit. I know that the current Lightning connector, used from the iPhone 5 onwards, has a small chip in the cable, to prevent you using a generic cheapo cable off Amazon. I believe that CarPlay is similar. This would of course prevent a simple software update. The other option of course is to get MirrorLink, if your phone is compatible. I think a bunch of Sony, Samsung, and HTC handsets are MirrorLink compatible.

Also- if the Car Net App Connect thing is anything like Skoda's Smartgate, that is, something that connects to an app on your phone via WiFi, then it's a separate module under the seat. Some people over on Briskoda have retrofitted them (I remember seeing something about a Yeti?) so I'd guess that something similar is possible on the Polo.
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

Hm ok, good food for thought. I would be happy to be the tester for all this. Just need to find out whats needed to make it work.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

Their was someone here who did mange to get it activated although I'm more surprised it hasn't been replaced by smartlink which works with Apple as well

One thing to bare in mind is it only works with certain htc & Sony phones it can't use google maps & the only sat nav app is sygic which is £60 not very Useful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

Erm this is smartlink we are talking about VW have called it car net app connect on the configerer. I have no interest in mirrorlink as I have an iphone
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

Hope you find answer I did find this vwcarnet.com/ & this
volkswagen-carnet.com/int/en/start.html
gcampbell
New
Drives: Volkswagen Up

Post by gcampbell »

Am interested in this too, there seems to be a lot of vw websites related Car - Net but they don't seem to have been updated to include the App Connect particularly as an offering for the Polo, I did find this on Twitter - https://twitter.com/ukvolkswagen/status ... 8605054977 for anyone who can't see that VW say at the moment there isn't a retrofit solution available as its so new! Picking up my new GTI in a 2 weeks (touch wood) so will enquire with my dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk