Courtesy light

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
alowden
New
Drives: 2002 polo 9n 1.2

Courtesy light

Post by alowden »

Hi, should the passenger door on 2002 9n polo activate courtesy light or not or will I have to link it to drivers door. Fitted basic alarm on daughters car after a break in and just noticed this when testing it :?:
Thanks in advance
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Courtesy light

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm guessing it should on all levels of Polos, could be a faulty lock assembly, or maybe just a micro switch that can be fitted to replace existing one. I think that that repair has been covered in many VAG forums. Google/YouTube ?
chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

My 2004 Sport only has reflectors in the door not courtesy lights. I think only some of the came with actual courtesy lights. It's easy enough to tell the bottom part of the lense should be white/clear and the top half red.

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

[quote="chewy_"]My 2004 Sport only has reflectors in the door not courtesy lights. I think only some of the came with actual courtesy lights. It's easy enough to tell the bottom part of the lense should be white/clear and the top half red.

No, no, that is not called a courtesy light, that when fitted, is a puddle light, I think they were fitted only for a short period, wife's car is a late 2002, so a 2003MY car and it just has reflectors, I always meant to buy the puddle lights though!

The OP was asking about the usual centre etc courtesy light, as the alarm system uses the same contact on the doors.
chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

I read activate as active :oops:
stevenb9n
New
Drives: Polo 9N TDi Sport

Post by stevenb9n »

The switches in the courtesy light aren't as well made as the Golf and get a bit stuck.
It's easy to pull down the two parts from the roof lining.
Worth taking it out and giving the contacts a good clean up.
Mine were playing up a couple of weeks ago.

On the puddle light side of things. I heard you can retro fit these as most 9n's came with just reflectors but Golf's had them.
Should be quite straight forward and I heard the wiring loom is there on some cars but I maybe wrong.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Yes ours is an 02 and has puddle lights,one of ours does not work and the other is broken (split) but have just bought on off ebay and hope I can get the undamaged one working !
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

stevenb9n wrote: On the puddle light side of things. I heard you can retro fit these as most 9n's came with just reflectors but Golf's had them.
Should be quite straight forward and I heard the wiring loom is there on some cars but I maybe wrong.
On all cars 2003MY onwards, and that means a build date of roughly August 2002, I'd expect that there would not be any wiring existing in the front doors. That was basically I decided to give that "upgrade" a miss as doing an OEM grade wiring job did not look to be on having looked at the Haynes wiring schedules. A pity as it would have been handy, my car at the time had puddle lights and my current car has, wife's current new Polo does not look like this upgrade is possible without cutting holes in the doors - and I'm not doing that in a new car!
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

I received my new puddle light from ebay - fitted and worked fine -
The other side which was externally undamaged but had never worked !! I removed it and found it had no internals LOL so managed to make a complete unit out of the spare (broken) light parts - result !
The main courtesy light unit had a broken switch when we got the car - I was lucky enough to find a brand new complete genuine VW unit on ebay for £15 - so for the first time since we got the car - all of the courtesy lights are working :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Result!