ABS Not Working - How Dangerous?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
BishopofBanterbury
New
Drives: 2004 VW POLO TWIST

ABS Not Working - How Dangerous?

Post by BishopofBanterbury »

I have a 2004 Polo Twist. Recently the ABS light has been coming on - beeps on start up, along with a flashing break system light.
I was thinking it might just be a sensor error or that the fuse that needs changing under the battery cover.

Does this definitely mean I'm driving around without any ABS and if so, how dangerous is this? It's no big deal, I'd rather just leave it.

Would really appreciate any advice.

Cheers!
Last edited by BishopofBanterbury on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: ABS Not Working - How Dangerous?

Post by alexperkins »

If the light is solidly lit like that, it sounds as though you have a serious ABS failure

Put it this way, it would fail and MOT due to the warning light being on the dash, so that should answer your question about insurance. Its ultimately being negligent towards car service and maintenance from their perspective.

I would personally get it diagnosed and resolved - might be something simple and cheap like a sensor or fuse.
Teutonic_Tamer
New
Drives: Polo 9N3 1.4 TDI 5dr with half a V6 :p

Re: ABS Not Working - How Dangerous?

Post by Teutonic_Tamer »

It is actually quite dangerous to drive with defective ABS. The ABS controls the bias of braking force applied to front and rear axles, in normal operation, the ABS usually limits the force to the rear. When the system fails, maximum force is applied to the rear.