Advice on cracked bumper cost

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
scratchcomposite
New
Drives: 1.2 2014

Advice on cracked bumper cost

Post by scratchcomposite »

Hey guys,
Looking for some advice and figured this was a great place to start.
I unfortunately (don't hate me) reversed into my in-laws neighbour's Polo and did the decent thing and went to inform them. They weren't in but I left a note to say sorry and that it didn't look to be damaged but to call me.
I received a text to say the bumper was cracked in 2 places. Obviously the damage was very slight as I didn't notice it after the bump. The car is a lease and the owner has been informed they need to use an official garage. I immediately thought well that means I'll have to pay over the odds. I just received a text to say that they need a new bumper and that it will cost £400. The car is a white 2014 1.2 Polo (all the info i have sorry).
Does this seem quite extreme and what would my options be?
The main reason for my concern is I am expecting my first child in 2 months and the thought of paying this out sickens me when I have more important things to pay for. I appreciate its my fault but I want it resolved without being ripped off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: Advice on cracked bumper cost

Post by Ricmondo »

Sorry but that seems to be a very reasonable cost to replace and spray a new bumper. As its a leased car neither the keeper nor yourself have much of a say. If it was an older car or your car there are other solutions but they will be a bit second class and would not satisfy the supplier. A well intentioned compromise could cause the neighbour a lot of grief later on.

I think it's a case of involving your insurer or dipping into the piggy bank.

I hope everything goes well with your baby, I doubt that you will call him or her Polo!

Some bumps are better than others!
scratchcomposite
New

Haha always good to keep the sense of humour I guess. You at least made me smile. Thanks for the well wishes.

I would have thought a repair would have been a more cost effective solution so was a bit taken back that they said a full replacement is needed. Like i said the damage was so slight that me and the wife would have probably have just said, in the same situation, never worry about it.
scratchcomposite
New

I thought I had replied but obviously didn't go through.
I like your sense of humour and thanks for the well wishes!
I asked the owner "Why did they suggest the bumper is replaced rather than just repaired" and all she came back was with "it's cracked." She didn't seem open to the idea of repair. Just a bit frustrating that a small cosmetic crack will cost so much.
Haha you can tell this is winding me up now. The joys of impending fatherhood
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

You really have to put yourself in their place. They had a nearly new car with flawless bumpers but now presumably through no fault of their own they could end up with a repair that their lease company might later reject leaving them with a bill. In their situation I would not take the risk.

Trouble with these modern bumpers is that they might be kind to pedestrians and furry animals but they are a menace to everyone's pocket apart from body shop owners.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

£209.00 for a 'UK insurance approved' polo 6R rear bumper sprayed any VAG colour code of your choice........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111270930006? ... EBIDX%3AIT

My local Independent quoted an hour to fit it ;

£40.00 + 209.00 = 249.00 ?

I have also hit my rear bumper and have an area of the dense plastic carved and bashed away, although not cracked.
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

I've just paid £480 to have a BMW front bumper repaired and resprayed at a good independent bodyshop, and that was with me removing and refitting it....

All said, £400 to remove, repair, respray and refit sounds ok to me.

Congrats on the impending arrival anyway, ours arrived just over two years ago, and life is never the same! You'll soon forget about bumpers and bills, you've got some much bigger ones coming up! :D