Bad brake rubbing.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sb0811
New
Drives: 6C

Bad brake rubbing.

Post by Sb0811 »

So as of late I'm getting as brake rubbing at slow speeds. I believe it's coming from the rear. Covered 3.5k miles and it's starting to really annoy me. Also when I dip the couch that's starting to squeak. Bar from that everything g is fine :)

Anyone else having these issues?
JackM_24
Getting There!
Drives: Soon to be 2015 Polo GTI

Re: Bad brake rubbing.

Post by JackM_24 »

My rear brakes are squeaking too, going in for work next month so having them looked at
Sb0811
New

Post by Sb0811 »

Let me know how you get on. I think I will wait until I get the car serviced. I'm unsure if other people have had the same issue and that they had new brakes fitted. It's very annoying as at times the rubbing is quite loud when you reverse in the drive. Even the passengers said that it's quite loud. Hmmmm.
George417
New
Drives: 6c Polo Gti

Post by George417 »

Are the rear calipers releasing off properley. I had a simular problem on my fabia vrs, and there are some rear brake caliper springs you can fit. to make sure the calipers are fully released off.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

George417 wrote:Are the rear calipers releasing off properley. I had a simular problem on my fabia vrs, and there are some rear brake caliper springs you can fit. to make sure the calipers are fully released off.
That is strange, I fitted these external return springs (for a VW MK1 Sharan etc) to my wife's late 2002 Polo due to one of the callipers giving trouble - like a few Fabia and Ibiza people were doing at the time (2005?), that sorted/covered up that issue, that that car had from when it was only about a year old but I could not be bothered with VW dealer replacing the calliper if I could get round that issue with these springs. (I had done a personal import!)

Jump forward 10 years and when I bought my wife a new Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL back in August, one of the first things I bought and fitted were a new set of these springs! Now, what I noticed right away was that the handbrake action is a lot heavier as standard than it was in the 2002 Polo, so I guessed that VAG has strengthened these internal springs quite a bit - but maybe they too can fail like the originals did back in 2002?

Anyway, fitting these external springs can only help the handbrake levers fully return to their stops - and the holes for the springs are still on the latest callipers.
Sb0811
New

Post by Sb0811 »

I will ask the dealership when it goes in. At low speeds it's quite loud. Yeah the hand brake works fine as well as the auto hill start. It makes that horrible sound when you washed your car and the brakes are oxidise and haven't drive the car for a few days. Argghhhh

Thanks for the info :)
George417
New
Drives: 6c Polo Gti

Post by George417 »

RUM4MO wrote:
George417 wrote:Are the rear calipers releasing off properley. I had a simular problem on my fabia vrs, and there are some rear brake caliper springs you can fit. to make sure the calipers are fully released off.
That is strange, I fitted these external return springs (for a VW MK1 Sharan etc) to my wife's late 2002 Polo due to one of the callipers giving trouble - like a few Fabia and Ibiza people were doing at the time (2005?), that sorted/covered up that issue, that that car had from when it was only about a year old but I could not be bothered with VW dealer replacing the calliper if I could get round that issue with these springs. (I had done a personal import!)

Jump forward 10 years and when I bought my wife a new Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL back in August, one of the first things I bought and fitted were a new set of these springs! Now, what I noticed right away was that the handbrake action is a lot heavier as standard than it was in the 2002 Polo, so I guessed that VAG has strengthened these internal springs quite a bit - but maybe they too can fail like the originals did back in 2002?

Anyway, fitting these external springs can only help the handbrake levers fully return to their stops - and the holes for the springs are still on the latest callipers.

Ive got a 2013 polo, and i fitted them as a precaution, only because i had a spare set let over :D
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 blueGT

Post by tomtoon2015 »

My brakes squeak with gentle pressure at low speeds as well.. This seems odd as with firmer brake pressure it's fine. Going into VW next week as well where I will mention this as its not the issue its booked in for
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

tomtoon2015 wrote:My brakes squeak with gentle pressure at low speeds as well.. This seems odd as with firmer brake pressure it's fine. Going into VW next week as well where I will mention this as its not the issue its booked in for
No, if the brakes are just "kissing" the discs, they will normally make some noises, when they are in full contact and under pressure, normally they will not make any noises, unless they are aftermarket stuff.
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 blueGT

Post by tomtoon2015 »

RUM4MO wrote:
tomtoon2015 wrote:My brakes squeak with gentle pressure at low speeds as well.. This seems odd as with firmer brake pressure it's fine. Going into VW next week as well where I will mention this as its not the issue its booked in for
No, if the brakes are just "kissing" the discs, they will normally make some noises, when they are in full contact and under pressure, normally they will not make any noises, unless they are aftermarket stuff.
It has only done it past month and is very audible at times
iptsoe
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.2 TSI

Post by iptsoe »

Ours has been back into VW twice with the same issue, and it has started happening again less than 2 months down the line, gets really bad on reversing too