2 problems: Brown Oil and Condensation

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
pod495
New
Drives: 06 9N3 1.2 (&aPassat)

2 problems: Brown Oil and Condensation

Post by pod495 »

Hello,

A couple of issues I'm wondering if anyone has experience of (hope i've searched adequately - didn't find answers in previous posts).

The Polo is my girlfriends - a 2006 1.2 petrol on 90k+ miles.

I'm particularly concerned that the oil looked brown on the cloth i used to wipe the dipstick when I checked the oil recently. I didn't see any gunk under the cap though, nor discolouration in the coolant reservoir and the oil is due for changing. Might this be normal for oil that's ready for changing or might it be some sort of horrendous headgasket coolant leak nightmare?

And also, we find that the car gets a lot of condensation inside on the screen and stuff. Seems excessive to the point of abnormal. Anyone else get this? Any ideas? Could it even be related to the oil thing?

Any knowledge you can share is welcome. Thanks in advance.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 2 problems: Brown Oil and Condensation

Post by alexperkins »

Oil goes a black/brown very quickly after being changed. That's nothing to worry about

Get your pollen filter changed for a start

Also make sure all the seals for the doors are clean and sealing properly

Has it got air con?
pod495
New
Drives: 06 9N3 1.2 (&aPassat)

Post by pod495 »

OK. I checked the oil again lat night and there's still no trace of emulsified gunk so maybe it's fine like you say.

On the watery side it's starting to sound a lot like the problems i had with my Passat.

The Polo does have aircon (currently being used a lot to clear the windows). Is there a drain off that somewhere that goes astray? I felt the carpets last night and they maybe felt a bit humid but not properly damp - but I know the carpets on my passat are so thick that you can't always feel the damp on the surface.

Is it the seal around the pollen filter that leaks? (I don't imagine changing the paper filter itself would make much difference would it?). Again it's a Passat thing too.

And I'll have a look at the doors. Does it tend to be the main outer seal that goes or is there an inner metal plate in there with all the window mechanism and stuff with a seal that'd need checking?

Again, thanks in advance for any help. If I make any progress in the meantime I'll try to share my findings.
Loujam
New
Drives: Tdi 130 sport

Post by Loujam »

Have you had the windscreen replaced recently ?, I had the same problem with my passat which turned out that where the screen was bonded onto the bodywork rust underneath had actually lifted the paint off and was letting water through and down onto the matting under the carpet,lift the carpet and feel the matting if the carpet feels damp then you can bet the matting under it is wet.
If your windows are steaming up then you have water inside somewhere
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

The oil on our 1.4 16v is quite brown - I might have worried a little about the colour but I used to service a 2007 polo and it's oil was always quite brown.
I am more used to diesel engine oil and of course it is very black.
We get a wet rear o/s passenger carpet but on our car I think it is one of the sunroof drain pipe conns leaking,it is on the list to sort LOL - at the moment the sunroof is taped up with PVC tape : )