New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Monty246810
New
Drives: 2015 polo gti

Re: New GTI

Post by Monty246810 »

Bear wrote:
Monty246810 wrote:I have just had my dash changed for the sticking Trip button seems ok now but the rear brakes still make squeaks which I have been back twice so it will need to be back at the garage. Has anyone had any look with this issue and had it fixed. I saw a white one last week on the Isle of Wight not many over here yet.
Might have been me on the Isle of Wight in my Oryx White? Or more likely my Mrs... Depends if the car you saw was being kerbed to oblivion or not at the time :lol:
Just been out today and it looks like the brake squeak on the back brakes are not returning back after releasing the brakes so will try and explain this to the dealer when it goes back in to look at it. I have bumped into another owner today and he says he is having the same problem so it looks like it seems a issue on most GTIs. So it looks like I was wrong there is a few on the Isle of Wight.
stretts
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

My wait is over

Post by stretts »

After over five years of Scirocco ownership yesterday I swapped my GTS Roc for a polo GTi. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Roc just fancied a change. First impressions of the GTi very nice, only done 100 miles so far. I do have the squeaking breaks though which are annoying, and as previously stated wish the driving seat would go lower other than that it seems to be a vey good car.

For all those still waiting it will all be worth it in the end.Image

Deejbb
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi 6R

Post by Deejbb »

JackM_24 wrote:My car shat itself this morning, I started it up, reversed out of my drive, started to lift the clutch, just as it was fully released there was a massive clunk, the revs dropped and the engine stuttered, revs down to about 300 then all over the place and then stalled, stop start obviously tried to restart the engine, nothing, engine management light came on and asked me to manually start the car, tried it and it took about 5 seconds to turn over before it hit 200rpm and then it died and wouldnt start :cry: it's now at VW who believe the timing chain has jumped which to me most probably means a ruined engine. Joy. Just hit 3000 miles.
Ouch.. Didn't you have a DTUK box on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JackM_24
Getting There!
Drives: Soon to be 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JackM_24 »

Not me, completely standard, got an up courtesy car, like a matchbox with wheels. Won't find out till Monday as their service department only work part time.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

JackM_24 wrote:My car shat itself this morning, I started it up, reversed out of my drive, started to lift the clutch, just as it was fully released there was a massive clunk, the revs dropped and the engine stuttered, revs down to about 300 then all over the place and then stalled, stop start obviously tried to restart the engine, nothing, engine management light came on and asked me to manually start the car, tried it and it took about 5 seconds to turn over before it hit 200rpm and then it died and wouldnt start :cry: it's now at VW who believe the timing chain has jumped which to me most probably means a ruined engine. Joy. Just hit 3000 miles.

Sounds identical to when my timing chain slipped on my 2010 1.2 6R.

They can rebuild the lower half of the engine in a couple of days with new parts if the engine hasnt been fully chewed.
Mo-89
New
Drives: Polo GTi

Post by Mo-89 »

Right guys hope u enjoying ur GTI's

Any experiencing a loud bang under the passenger side if u take off hard on first gear? Happened to me twice before as it was snowing but happened again last night wen I was at a red light n was getting off bit hard !!!
Bear
Getting There!

Post by Bear »

Monty246810 wrote:
Bear wrote:
Monty246810 wrote:I have just had my dash changed for the sticking Trip button seems ok now but the rear brakes still make squeaks which I have been back twice so it will need to be back at the garage. Has anyone had any look with this issue and had it fixed. I saw a white one last week on the Isle of Wight not many over here yet.
Might have been me on the Isle of Wight in my Oryx White? Or more likely my Mrs... Depends if the car you saw was being kerbed to oblivion or not at the time :lol:
So it looks like I was wrong there is a few on the Isle of Wight.
Definitely a few of us now, at least 3 black ones I'm aware of, 3 pure white (one being a the dealer's current demo), 1 red the Mrs spotted plus our Oryx. Not seen any blue or silver! Not sure if one of the pure whites or the red were residents or holidaymakers, but most of the rest on 'HW' plates so presumably local.

What's the spec on yours? Will keep an eye out!
Monty246810
New
Drives: 2015 polo gti

Post by Monty246810 »

I thought there was quite a few now on the Isle of wight Mine is the Red one and the only red here at the moment. I had a lot of extras fitted only the winter pack and nav that I did not have so happy. My last car was a Polo tsi r line which is still on the isled in Ryde, Maybe we could meet for a chat sometime. Im in Newchurch working for the next 11 months maybe longer.
Bear
Getting There!

Post by Bear »

Yeah sure thing!

We had a Polo R-Line before this too which we absolutely loved, also still on the Island and living in Godshill.

Will keep an eye out for you in the red one!
lewisp
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by lewisp »

Right guys!

Comes with great heartache, my new motor is in the garage after less than 3 weeks.

It blew a turbo, 1349 miles on the clock, may just be a bad egg, but I'd advise everyone to keep an eye for any noises or drop in performance, if you get either stop and get it checked, I had no funny noises just a loss in performance, slight but noticeable, then just as I was about to react to it, pop. Turbo went cheerio!

Will keep the thread updated but anyone else with issues let me know as I'd be interested to see if this is a wide issue or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J-VW
New
Drives: POLO GTI DSG Ordered

Post by J-VW »

andy_gdon wrote:
J-VW wrote:Hi guys long time lurker have a new GTI 3dr DSG ordered in Reflex Silver, got a fab deal on a cancelled order.
On stage 5a (In Transit) since 17th Feb so hopefully will have it within the next couple of weeks, can't wait.
Bet you can't wait Joe!!! Have to get a run out to Browns bay for some snaps
Yes Andy sounds like a plan mate!
the_bakerboy3685
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 6C GTI

Re: RE: Re: New GTI

Post by the_bakerboy3685 »

Wilxay wrote:Yeah I had no text yet. Maybe tomorrow :/
Did you get a text to say yours arrived? What date did you order yours? I know we had same build week.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
JackM_24
Getting There!
Drives: Soon to be 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JackM_24 »

Had my worst fears confirmed this morning, timing chain slipped significantly, engine completely ruined, bent and broken valves (some embedded in Pistons), economically unviable to repair it so a new engine has been ordered, not sure where they come from so no idea how long it will take. The tensioner failed. Hopefully a manufacturing defect and not a design flaw. Gutted doesn't cut it, just glad it isn't me footing the bill!
Wilxay
Silver Member

Post by Wilxay »

the_bakerboy3685 wrote:
Wilxay wrote:Yeah I had no text yet. Maybe tomorrow :/
Did you get a text to say yours arrived? What date did you order yours? I know we had same build week.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Nope no text yet. I ordered 20/01
Currently passing the time watching every boat known to be used by Volkswagen that leaves Emden for Grimsby.

I want it now though.....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

JackM_24 wrote:Had my worst fears confirmed this morning, timing chain slipped significantly, engine completely ruined, bent and broken valves (some embedded in Pistons), economically unviable to repair it so a new engine has been ordered, not sure where they come from so no idea how long it will take. The tensioner failed. Hopefully a manufacturing defect and not a design flaw. Gutted doesn't cut it, just glad it isn't me footing the bill!
Sorry to hear about your woes Jack. Hope it's sorted soon.

There's a fairly lengthy thread over on http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk relating to failed timing chain tensioners on the 2 litre version of the EA888 engine that was used in the mk6 Golf GTI golf (the Polo GTI is the 1.8 version of the latest EA888 engine). There were a number of revisions to the timing chain tensioner design throughout the life of the mk6 Golf, so you would've hoped that VW had got it sorted by now. Apparently, VW don't acknowledge there was a problem, and the majority of dealers will say they've never encountered this problem, but looking at the thread over on the Golf forum, this suggests there was a problem.

When I ordered my Polo GTI, I included the 5 year factory warranty option as I usually keep my cars 4-5 years. This gives the same warranty cover in years 4 & 5 that you get in the first 3 years, so if timing chain tensioner failure happened to me in years 4 and 5, it would be VW's problem to fix it. However, the dealer didn't get the extended warranty added to my car (has to be done before it's registered) so I don't have the warranty cover I ordered. The dealer has refunded the cost but that's not what I want, so I'm currently waiting for them to tell me how they propose to resolve this to my satisfaction, needless to say, I'm not best pleased with them just now!