DSG making a horrible noise

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
jackfm
New
Drives: Candy White 6R

DSG making a horrible noise

Post by jackfm »

Hey, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on / relate to this?

My DSG makes a nasty noise. Its as the car changes from 1st to 2nd under about 50-80% throttle. It is intermittent but it's getting worse.

Its been back to VW already and given the all clear. I've managed to capture it on video so its booked in again.

[youtube]eE0M_pzkxB8[/youtube]

Can't seem to embed the video. Click here to watch and listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE0M_pzkxB8
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: DSG making a horrible noise

Post by alexperkins »

That's a nasty noise. Sounds either like the clutch slipping or a failing engine mount
Parker87
New
Drives: '13 GTI

Post by Parker87 »

Sorry, I don't have any useful suggestions as to what might be causing the noise, but, as a fellow 6R GTI owner, I'd be very interested to learn how you get on. My DSG does a bit of clunking going from 2nd to 1st, but everything works fine so I just accept it as tolerable mechanical noise - hopefully your noise doesn't signify any kind of failure but just a bit of metal on metal contact :?
YAB369
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.6 TDI

Post by YAB369 »

Parker87 wrote:Sorry, I don't have any useful suggestions as to what might be causing the noise, but, as a fellow 6R GTI owner, I'd be very interested to learn how you get on. My DSG does a bit of clunking going from 2nd to 1st, but everything works fine so I just accept it as tolerable mechanical noise - hopefully your noise doesn't signify any kind of failure but just a bit of metal on metal contact :?
I only have a polo 6R TDI, but from what I have experienced, and read up about my dad's Golf mk5 R32 DSG, all the DSG boxes do make a clunking noise, with some being louder than others. Not sure if this helps, but useful information 8)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

My Mk5 Golf GTI Edition 30 DSG never made a clunking noise like that

Either that, or the tyres are hopping due to the torque. It did make a similar noise to that when that happened
Parker87
New

Post by Parker87 »

Thanks Yab and Alex - I don't mind a little clunking (but might become less sanguine about it when my warranty runs out!).
YAB369
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.6 TDI

Post by YAB369 »

Parker87 wrote:Thanks Yab and Alex - I don't mind a little clunking (but might become less sanguine about it when my warranty runs out!).
Glad I could help :D

Seen as its still in warranty, you could get them to check the Mechatronic Unit. Might save you £1500 if its faulty, but other than that, I can't think of anything else that would be causing it.
zarfield
New
Drives: MKVIII6R

Post by zarfield »

hi i got a 2011 Touran 1.4T here in china and after 3 years of using , it got the exact same problem as you described. i drove the car to dealer and they connected a cable and did some "upgrade" on the logic of how DSG gear box works...

and the problem is still there.

then they told me touran is so heavy for a 1.4T engine to start. the noise is normal. other tourans have the same problem...

in china, DSG is not a good option though it accelerates so fast.
Parker87
New

Post by Parker87 »

Thanks again Yab. If it doesn't get any worse, I'll leave it until it gets serviced in October and talk to the VW people then.
Hello Zarfield - is your noise the same as in Jackfm's video clip, or my clunk on changing down from 2nd to 1st?.
zarfield
New
Drives: MKVIII6R

Post by zarfield »

Parker87 wrote:Thanks again Yab. If it doesn't get any worse, I'll leave it until it gets serviced in October and talk to the VW people then.
Hello Zarfield - is your noise the same as in Jackfm's video clip, or my clunk on changing down from 2nd to 1st?.
i just downloaded the video clip on my phone and listened. I don't quite know how to decribe a noise in english but yes, it is the same in Jackfm's video clip. The noise only happens when the gear box goes up from 1st to 2nd, not in opposite.
Parker87
New

Post by Parker87 »

I see - perhaps Jackfm will discover something about curing the issue which could be useful for you - hope so.