Pressure sensors

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member
Drives: 6C GTI

Pressure sensors

Post by JaegerStriker »

Hi,
I've just changed my alloys over to 17 inch Audi TTRS alloys and was wondering what pressure sensors would work with those alloys

Guy at the garage said that I couldn't remove the sensors from my current alloys because they are the plastic ones?

He said you could with the metal ones so I'm wondering which sensors would work with these

Thanks

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Pressure sensors

Post by iichel »

for a polo, you don't need pressure sensors
JaegerStriker
Bronze Member
Drives: 6C GTI

Post by JaegerStriker »

They have came as standard with the car. Says there will be issues with MOT or something if they aren't fitted to the car

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The car does come with a tyre pressure regulating system, yes. But it does not work with sensors.

Imagine all tyres on equal pressures, ergo equal circumference of 2m. And you're driving at a cosy 111.84 mph. That happens to be 100 metres per second.
Every wheel is rotating at exactly 50 revolutions per second. And the ABS system has sensors in all four hubs to measure this.

Now let's say that one wheel is feeling a bit low and the pressure drops with x %. Also now, the circumference lowers and is not 2m anymore but 190cm.
Now three wheels are rotating with 50 revolutions per second, but one is at 52.something revolutions per second.

The ABS notices this and it goes like 'hey there is a tire low on pressure'. Because it assumes, lower pressure = smaller circumference = faster turning at the same speed.

The Polo simply doesn't have the antennas to communicate with the radio frequency based pressure sensors.
Guy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI

Post by Guy »

Presumably this system can't detect a situation where the owner never checks his/her tyre pressures and over an extended period of time all four tyres drop significantly in pressure by roughly the same amount?