New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LegoDeano
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+ / Limestone Grey

Re: New GTI

Post by LegoDeano »

It sounds like there is a story to be told here!!
GeorgeS78
New
Drives: Polo 9N3 soon to be 6C GTI

Post by GeorgeS78 »

LegoDeano wrote:It sounds like there is a story to be told here!!
Yeah there is, somehow Shaun got a parking ticket but I didn't, apparently exceeded the time limit even tho it was out of usual hours
LegoDeano
Getting There!

Post by LegoDeano »

GeorgeS78 wrote:
Yeah there is, somehow Shaun got a parking ticket but I didn't, apparently exceeded the time limit even tho it was out of usual hours
Hahaha that's some cheek! I thought people regularly had car meets in that car park after hours? Always used to back in my Halfords working days anyway. Think the limit in there is 2 or 2 and a half hours.

I've seen a few people round the back of Halfords meet up there instead fairly recently saying that, might be to avoid the same thing.
stables89
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

Post by stables89 »

anyone else have a really bad fuel consumption when the gti was brand new currently getting about 200 miles to a tank. would of expected it to be a bit better than that since they advertise 37MPG (I know that's being optimistic) im currently getting in the low 20s not thrashing it either just sensible driving
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

stables89 wrote:anyone else have a really bad fuel consumption when the gti was brand new currently getting about 200 miles to a tank. would of expected it to be a bit better than that since they advertise 37MPG (I know that's being optimistic) im currently getting in the low 20s not thrashing it either just sensible driving
You need to thrash it when it's new, otherwise the piston rings may not bed in properly to the cylinder bores. Result will be oil usage, lower fuel economy and less power. The reason is the engines are filled with LongLife fully synthetic oil which is not good for running in. VW do this so they can advertise 2 year service schedules, which is actually bad for an engine's longevity - oil needs to be changed every year irrespective of mileage. VW used to fill their engines with recycled mineral oil which was just for running in and much better. This then got changed after 600 miles or so.

I gave mine the beans when it was new and now getting 48mpg (driven normally) and 38mpg (driven hard) after 6000 miles, and no oil consumption.
LegoDeano
Getting There!

Post by LegoDeano »

TeddyThePug
New
Drives: GTi

Post by TeddyThePug »

VW phoned and they are delivering car Friday afternoon! yay! :mrgreen:
stables89
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

Post by stables89 »

blackertracker wrote:
stables89 wrote:anyone else have a really bad fuel consumption when the gti was brand new currently getting about 200 miles to a tank. would of expected it to be a bit better than that since they advertise 37MPG (I know that's being optimistic) im currently getting in the low 20s not thrashing it either just sensible driving
You need to thrash it when it's new, otherwise the piston rings may not bed in properly to the cylinder bores. Result will be oil usage, lower fuel economy and less power. The reason is the engines are filled with LongLife fully synthetic oil which is not good for running in. VW do this so they can advertise 2 year service schedules, which is actually bad for an engine's longevity - oil needs to be changed every year irrespective of mileage. VW used to fill their engines with recycled mineral oil which was just for running in and much better. This then got changed after 600 miles or so.

I gave mine the beans when it was new and now getting 48mpg (driven normally) and 38mpg (driven hard) after 6000 miles, and no oil consumption.
ahh ok. was thrashing it the first couplke of weeks. then started to go easy on it and I have noticed that the performance aint so good when I nail it now. maybe just go back to thrashing it lol. think it needs a good long run aswell as I have just been doing city driving
C_Randell_23
Getting There!
Drives: 6C GTI Black 3dr Manual with toys

Post by C_Randell_23 »

Right so all is looking good for a saturday pick up of my solid black 3dr GTI with Nav, Sport pack, Winter pack and Conveniance pack. Can anyone advise on the best methods/ methods they have chosen to wear the engine in.

I am currently thinking the best way is to let the engine get up to temprature and just drive it hard from the word go. As they say wear it in fast and it will be fast. Anyone disagree with that?

Plus my friend has taken delivery of his new fiesta ST a couple of months back and I think its time to put him back in his place with the GTI's straight line pace and interior quality (cant comment on cornering ability yet).
Essexpologti
New
Drives: Polo gti 2015

Post by Essexpologti »

Did yours get to the port sunday?

Mines in the uk now and awaiting transport.
C_Randell_23
Getting There!
Drives: 6C GTI Black 3dr Manual with toys

Post by C_Randell_23 »

Essexpologti wrote:Did yours get to the port sunday?

Mine arrived in the port on Wednesday last week and will be arriving at the dealers any time between now and Thursday. My dealer is Haywards Heath VW, so mine came off the boat at sheerness? All in all it will be between 6-9 days between docking and arriving at the dealer.
ShaunP
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI

Post by ShaunP »

13 minutes over the allowed time limit [emoji58][emoji58] Image
MIBUCS
New
Drives: None yet!

Post by MIBUCS »

Hang on to that! Handy if you ever run out of toilet paper!
Norfolk Boy
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti

Post by Norfolk Boy »

C_Randell_23 wrote:Right so all is looking good for a saturday pick up of my solid black 3dr GTI with Nav, Sport pack, Winter pack and Conveniance pack. Can anyone advise on the best methods/ methods they have chosen to wear the engine in.

I am currently thinking the best way is to let the engine get up to temprature and just drive it hard from the word go. As they say wear it in fast and it will be fast. Anyone disagree with that?

Plus my friend has taken delivery of his new fiesta ST a couple of months back and I think its time to put him back in his place with the GTI's straight line pace and interior quality (cant comment on cornering ability yet).
There seems to be a few people here who have traded in STs for the Polo. Would love to know how people compare the two (as opposed to motor journalist views). Still have my Polo but still can't quite get the ST out of my head! Does the ST really handle much better and is there much difference in the ride quality?
Essexpologti
New
Drives: Polo gti 2015

Post by Essexpologti »

C_Randell_23 wrote:
Essexpologti wrote:Did yours get to the port sunday?

Mine arrived in the port on Wednesday last week and will be arriving at the dealers any time between now and Thursday. My dealer is Haywards Heath VW, so mine came off the boat at sheerness? All in all it will be between 6-9 days between docking and arriving at the dealer.
I reckon sheerness, where mine is. Came off the city of Amsterdam on Sunday. Dealer reckons it will be with them maybe Thursday depending on when the next transporter will be heading their way.

When was your build date?

Looking forward to it now, will be a shame to see the ST go though. Is a fun little car but will see how the GTI compares. I know the handling won't be the same but prepared to give that up for better quality car with a little more power.