New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Essexpologti
New
Drives: Polo gti 2015

Re: New GTI

Post by Essexpologti »

Norfolk Boy wrote:
C_Randell_23 wrote:Right so all is looking good for a saturday pick up of my solid black 3dr GTI with Nav, Sport pack, Winter pack and Conveniance pack. Can anyone advise on the best methods/ methods they have chosen to wear the engine in.

I am currently thinking the best way is to let the engine get up to temprature and just drive it hard from the word go. As they say wear it in fast and it will be fast. Anyone disagree with that?

Plus my friend has taken delivery of his new fiesta ST a couple of months back and I think its time to put him back in his place with the GTI's straight line pace and interior quality (cant comment on cornering ability yet).
There seems to be a few people here who have traded in STs for the Polo. Would love to know how people compare the two (as opposed to motor journalist views). Still have my Polo but still can't quite get the ST out of my head! Does the ST really handle much better and is there much difference in the ride quality?
From what I know from the test drive, the polo gave me a bigger smile than the ST, power seems to be better behaved but more fun in my eyes. The cabin in the GTI is a much better place to be, better layout, more modern feel to it and no creeks and rattles.
With regards to the ride quality and handling; the ST seems to handle quite a bit better but there is a price to pay in that the ride is dreadful, any nook and cranny in the road and my god do you know about it (no good if you suffer back problems).

That's my view but someone else might have a different opinion in comparison.
C_Randell_23
Getting There!
Drives: 6C GTI Black 3dr Manual with toys

Post by C_Randell_23 »

Essexpologti wrote:
C_Randell_23 wrote:
Essexpologti wrote:Did yours get to the port sunday?

Mines in the uk now and awaiting transport.
Mine arrived in the port on Wednesday last week and will be arriving at the dealers any time between now and Thursday. My dealer is Haywards Heath VW, so mine came off the boat at sheerness? All in all it will be between 6-9 days between docking and arriving at the dealer.
I reckon sheerness, where mine is. Came off the city of Amsterdam on Sunday. Dealer reckons it will be with them maybe Thursday depending on when the next transporter will be heading their way.

When was your build date?

Looking forward to it now, will be a shame to see the ST go though. Is a fun little car but will see how the GTI compares. I know the handling won't be the same but prepared to give that up for better quality car with a little more power.

My build date was the 25th April and it left the factory on the 28th so its not been too bad a wait, only ordered on the 19th March.

Im also coming from an ST but not the new one the 2.0 litre one. I must say I will miss the naturaly aspirated engine with a nice popping exhaust but I will happily trade that for the huge increase in tourque and refinment.

I have had a go in my friends new ST quite a few times so it will be interesting to see the difference, I think that the reviews are far to biast towards how the cars behave on track when really I chose the polo for its stylish looks, interior and refinment. I wont take the car on a track so it does not bother me if it sets a 0.3 second slower lap time than an ST, the GTI will be faster in a straight line and has better brakes.

What colour GTI have you ordered?
Norfolk Boy
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti

Post by Norfolk Boy »

Essexpologti wrote:
Norfolk Boy wrote:
C_Randell_23 wrote:Right so all is looking good for a saturday pick up of my solid black 3dr GTI with Nav, Sport pack, Winter pack and Conveniance pack. Can anyone advise on the best methods/ methods they have chosen to wear the engine in.

I am currently thinking the best way is to let the engine get up to temprature and just drive it hard from the word go. As they say wear it in fast and it will be fast. Anyone disagree with that?

Plus my friend has taken delivery of his new fiesta ST a couple of months back and I think its time to put him back in his place with the GTI's straight line pace and interior quality (cant comment on cornering ability yet).
There seems to be a few people here who have traded in STs for the Polo. Would love to know how people compare the two (as opposed to motor journalist views). Still have my Polo but still can't quite get the ST out of my head! Does the ST really handle much better and is there much difference in the ride quality?
From what I know from the test drive, the polo gave me a bigger smile than the ST, power seems to be better behaved but more fun in my eyes. The cabin in the GTI is a much better place to be, better layout, more modern feel to it and no creeks and rattles.
With regards to the ride quality and handling; the ST seems to handle quite a bit better but there is a price to pay in that the ride is dreadful, any nook and cranny in the road and my god do you know about it (no good if you suffer back problems).

That's my view but someone else might have a different opinion in comparison.
Yes I remember the hard ride on a test drive. Fine on your average smoothish A road but it did rattle your bones on the crap B roads we have around here. Polo interior is a definite step up. I can't remember whether the ST handled better as I only had a short time in the ST. I suspect it did but I don't find the Polo lacking there. The Polo has more mid range grunt that's for sure and you can certainly sling shot out of roundabouts if you are in the mood! I think my problem is I didn't have enough time in the ST but I reckon if I did swap I would get fed up with the firm ride after a time. The Polo is firm enough (sans sport button).
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I'm considering a GTI or Cupra for my wife later this year against the Fiesta ST (the ultimate chav mobile as she calls it), then I have a weekend toy. I'm more likely to persuade her to get the GTI, so I was hoping some of you lucky gti owners could help:

1. What's the realistic best way to run the car in? I've had stealerships tell me everything from rag the arse off it to be gentle the first 2000 miles.
2. What's the realistic mpg on a long journey (circa 30 miles plus) compared to the actual quoted mpg? If we get a GTI I'll probably get a second one for me in future!
3. Can you tell any difference in build quality between the three cars? I know at lower specs the VW feels nicer (we currently have a polo), but does the GTI feel better quality than the Cupra and ST?

Cheers
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

Just on build quality, I do have a few buzz type sounds from maybe the A pillar area's. Had less rattles on my zetec s fiesta to be honest lol
santini
New
Drives: Honda Civic

Post by santini »

LegoDeano wrote:ImageIMG_7505
:mrgreen:
santini
New

Post by santini »

Andy4791 wrote:Just on build quality, I do have a few buzz type sounds from maybe the A pillar area's. Had less rattles on my zetec s fiesta to be honest lol
What about comfort on a daily basis? Is there much of a difference?
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

Its more comfort than an ST. Had one for a day and was great fun but couldnt live with it permanent. The zetec s I had was very similar ride to GTi
C_Randell_23
Getting There!
Drives: 6C GTI Black 3dr Manual with toys

Post by C_Randell_23 »

To be fair my MK6.5 ST had 0 rattles and that was 10 years old so I will not be impressed if the polo has any rattles
LegoDeano
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+ / Limestone Grey

Post by LegoDeano »

ShaunP wrote:
LegoDeano wrote:It sounds like there is a story to be told here!!
13 minutes over the allowed time limit [emoji58][emoji58] Image
That's mad - I knew the car park had time limits as sometimes when people visit our office they have to park up there and then rush out to move their car but I didn't think it was automated! :|
ShaunP
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI

Post by ShaunP »

lancslad1985 wrote:I'm considering a GTI or Cupra for my wife later this year against the Fiesta ST (the ultimate chav mobile as she calls it), then I have a weekend toy. I'm more likely to persuade her to get the GTI, so I was hoping some of you lucky gti owners could help:

1. What's the realistic best way to run the car in? I've had stealerships tell me everything from rag the arse off it to be gentle the first 2000 miles.
2. What's the realistic mpg on a long journey (circa 30 miles plus) compared to the actual quoted mpg? If we get a GTI I'll probably get a second one for me in future!
3. Can you tell any difference in build quality between the three cars? I know at lower specs the VW feels nicer (we currently have a polo), but does the GTI feel better quality than the Cupra and ST?

Cheers
Personally took it easy for the first 1000 just to be on the 'safe side' but didn't exclude the odd blast here and there.

Realistic mpg on a good trip you can easy get 40-45 if it's normal driving and what not. Average mpg for me with commuting normally and spirited driving is around 30mpg..

I can only vouch as I used to have the 1.4 Ibiza cupra 2014 and can hands down say there's a step up in build quality in the GTI. Whether that's the same with the new cupra I don't know nor the fiesta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LegoDeano
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+ / Limestone Grey

Post by LegoDeano »

ShaunP wrote:
lancslad1985 wrote:I'm considering a GTI or Cupra for my wife later this year against the Fiesta ST (the ultimate chav mobile as she calls it), then I have a weekend toy. I'm more likely to persuade her to get the GTI, so I was hoping some of you lucky gti owners could help:

Cheers
Personally took it easy for the first 1000 just to be on the 'safe side' but didn't exclude the odd blast here and there.

Realistic mpg on a good trip you can easy get 40-45 if it's normal driving and what not. Average mpg for me with commuting normally and spirited driving is around 30mpg..

I can only vouch as I used to have the 1.4 Ibiza cupra 2014 and can hands down say there's a step up in build quality in the GTI. Whether that's the same with the new cupra I don't know nor the fiesta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty much following this approach too. My dealership said not to worry too much about a proper running in period but I've been driving it nice and easy for the most part but I give it a good kick on some of the straight roads for a bit of fun. Comparing it to the A220 I had before though it just feels so much nicer to drive. Everything feels smoother. Got 31mpg on the way to work this morning but I did notice yesterday when my other half picked me up and I drove it home it was giving me a reading of 19mpg :|
Essexpologti
New
Drives: Polo gti 2015

Post by Essexpologti »

LegoDeano wrote:
ShaunP wrote:
LegoDeano wrote:It sounds like there is a story to be told here!!
13 minutes over the allowed time limit [emoji58][emoji58] Image
That's mad - I knew the car park had time limits as sometimes when people visit our office they have to park up there and then rush out to move their car but I didn't think it was automated! :|
Don't pay it, only a private firm and they can't Persue you over it. Just an invoice. Just chuck it in the bin lol.
santini
New

Post by santini »

Has anyone tried to remove the front grille GTi badge?
GeorgeS78
New
Drives: Polo 9N3 soon to be 6C GTI

Post by GeorgeS78 »

santini wrote:Has anyone tried to remove the front grille GTi badge?
I'm sure that they're just clipped on, so you can un clip them. Mine got changed for the golf performance pack badgesImage