Never got to spec it because my 6r gti blew up on me and I needed one Asap
Near enough what I would have ordered anyway but hey ho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LegoDeano
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+ / Limestone Grey

Re: New GTI

Post by LegoDeano »

Essexpologti wrote:It's pick up day for me...so excited. Sad the see the ST go but I've got a car spec that I wanted and no one else have driven.
Bring on 12:30 :D
Good luck!! Looking forward to pics.
santini
New
Drives: Honda Civic

Post by santini »

santini wrote:
LegoDeano wrote:So, I've got the car back and have been told what the problem was..

Are you ready?

.....the plug for the sensor was loose and just needed plugging back in.

..yeah.....
Hooray :mrgreen:
You would rather having faulty parts? And return the car...?

Hope all is well plugged in and operational now. Enjoy.
d7lan
New
Drives: Awaiting delivery of 6C GTI 5dr

Post by d7lan »

Picked up a roof rack and bike carriers and did a trial fitting over the weekend.

Not particularly keen on how they fit, look ripe for damaging the paintwork, so I am looking into ways of protecting the paint where the rack makes contact with the roof.

Up to 450 miles on the clock now and it is running in well, can definitely feel it loosening up.

There's an annoying rubbing from a back brake at low speeds, but it disappears fairly quickly once moving. Will keep an eye on it and get back to VW if it worsens. I seem to remember back in the earlier days of this thread that others experienced this too?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

LegoDeano wrote:
Second new car for me, but the first that had the enjoyment of picking everything and 'unveiling' it as such!

Had a new Merc A class before this, I had a spec I wanted but I needed something quick and got a good deal on one that was already in the country ready to go compared to if I'd have waited for one. Turned up to pick it up hoping it would have to cover to pull off etc... nope! Sat in the car park outside with all of the customers cars. No fuel in it, had to drive the guy down to the garage, fill it up then drop him back. Car turned out to be a proper Friday afternoon car too and discovered that their service was absolutely shocking with anything (I even had the underneath protection thing (technical name haha) fall off at one point after they had it!). Since I placed the order with VW everything has been spot on, got to pick everything I wanted, got to pull the cover off :lol: far more enjoyable and their service has been spot on.
the unveiling is the best bit :D
OH picked up his GTD on Friday and didn't get to do the reveal, think he was a bit disappointed :( Same franchise but different location, funny how they're all a bit different?!
LegoDeano
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+ / Limestone Grey

Post by LegoDeano »

Yeah I was chuffed I got to unveil mine! Shame the arm rest got missed out when they built the car (still not sure how it happened) but turned out to be a bit of a result and I don't feel I miss it at all yet.. obviously had it made up to me with loads more free stuff to compensate along with a refund so happy days.

Glad the GTD arrived! Think my other half would be after a Polo GTI too when the time is right, she didn't enjoy the A class at all but has loved the GTI since it arrived.
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

I had squeak from brakes at low speed for 1500 miles. Gone now. Re the cover they put on when u pick it up, I'd rather not have it, its a scratch n swirl maker, they had it on floor when I had video in morning b4 I picked up, was on my paintwork on collection lol. No wonder I had to machine polish lol
Pavel
Getting There!
Drives: MK8 GTI

Post by Pavel »

My squeak at low speeds has gone as well. Not sure exactly when it stopped but I'm at about 3k now and it's been gone a while thank f**k cause it did my head in.

Essexpologti
New
Drives: Polo gti 2015

Post by Essexpologti »

Picked her up today and wow impressive!!
Coming from an ST to the Polo I was worried about how it handles and all that. Tbh it is lighter but nothing worrying or anything.
So impressed with the way it delivers the power, so comfortable and smooth compared to the ST.
Very very impressed with my first VW.

Just to work out to put pictures from my iPhone on here :oops:
Norfolk Boy
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti

Post by Norfolk Boy »

Essexpologti wrote:Picked her up today and wow impressive!!
Coming from an ST to the Polo I was worried about how it handles and all that. Tbh it is lighter but nothing worrying or anything.
So impressed with the way it delivers the power, so comfortable and smooth compared to the ST.
Very very impressed with my first VW.

Just to work out to put pictures from my iPhone on here :oops:
Good to see that you don't regret moving from the ST to the Polo as I was waiting for someone to make a clear statement! Mine is around the 6,000 mile mark and feels properly run in now and feels a lot looser and chuckable. An earlier thred mentioned it is the spiritual successor to the mark 1. Could be right but the dimensions are almost identical to the mark 2 one of which I had in the early 1990s and to me is the spiritual successor to that! Of course my 1986 8 valve Golf GTI was Mars red and in its day felt very quick, so my Polo had to be flash red of course.
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

LegoDeano wrote:Yeah I was chuffed I got to unveil mine! Shame the arm rest got missed out when they built the car (still not sure how it happened) but turned out to be a bit of a result and I don't feel I miss it at all yet.. obviously had it made up to me with loads more free stuff to compensate along with a refund so happy days.

Glad the GTD arrived! Think my other half would be after a Polo GTI too when the time is right, she didn't enjoy the A class at all but has loved the GTI since it arrived.
It's a lovely car but making me wish I'd gone for the parking pack and camera :( Keep joking to him that it's the wrong way round with him having parking aids and me not :lol:
C_Randell_23
Getting There!
Drives: 6C GTI Black 3dr Manual with toys

Post by C_Randell_23 »

I totally agree with EssexPologti's points above.

After picking my GTI up on Saturday and driving around the country roads around Haywards Heath all day I can say that from initial impressions anyone ordering a GTI MUST go with the sports pack atleast.

The car took a little while to get used to simply due to all of the driver aids, the car feels much sharper with the traction control and stability systems turned off/ sport.

Comparing it back to back with my friends new ST, the interior is much more comfortable and more spacious in the GTI, the suspension I would say is no softer than the ST when in sport mode but the difference is the damping, over every bump in the GTI the dampers work really well to absorb the force giving you a firm but plush smooth ride (even in sport mode) compared to the ST where every time we went over a bump it felt like the suspension was bottoming out and there was a knock sound, even over moderately small bumps that wouldn't even bother the GTI. Also on a long drive with me in front in the GTI we approached a long empty straight, with the ST right up my a*** we both floored it in gear 3, me not going past the 6,200 rpm mark up to the top of gear 5 I had pulled away and had gone from 1 car length to around 4 car lengths in front, all on an engine with 300 miles on it so I will be expecting better when its got 1000 miles and I can hit the red line.

The brakes seem powerful on the GTI initially but I think compared to my old EBC Greenstuff pads these brakes will not have to much power after the initial bite has passed and you really start pushing the pedal, if anyone can post a link to a good set of fast road pads for the GTI that would be appreciated.

Once the car has a few more miles on i'm going to be taking it out with my dad in his Cupra 280 and do a few 0-60 mph comparisons and see if the GTI can manage to compete with a much more serious car on a average twisty B road.
d7lan
New

Re: RE: Re: New GTI

Post by d7lan »

Pavel wrote:My squeak at low speeds has gone as well. Not sure exactly when it stopped but I'm at about 3k now and it's been gone a while thank f**k cause it did my head in.

General question to you and Andy, was the squeak when you applied the brakes?

Mine seems to be squeaking if I am *not* touching the brakes, and it goes quiet if I dab the brake pedal, or accelerate.

Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

Mine squeaked wen I was pulling up braking very lightly, and also driving in very slow moving traffic with no brake applied
d7lan
New

Post by d7lan »

Thanks. Less worried now I know more than one of us is afflicted by it.

I am amazed at how much heat the engine produces and retains. The other day I went back to it 3 hours after parking up and the water temperature was still up over 60 degrees!