GTI Insurance

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
deanjohnl
New
Drives: Mk4 Golf GTI

GTI Insurance

Post by deanjohnl »

So I've owned my GTI for almost a year and sadly my free insurance is coming to an end.

I've spoken to VW Insurance and they're quoting an absolute ridiculous amount of £950!

I'm 36, 10 years no claims and no points. I was expecting somewhere around the £150 mark, which is the amount I was being quoted this time last year!

The lowest I've been quoted is £220 by Admiral and I was wondering what everyone else is paying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d7lan
New
Drives: Awaiting delivery of 6C GTI 5dr

Re: GTI Insurance

Post by d7lan »

Before I was aware of the year's free from VW, I got a couple of quotes.

Cheapest I got was £300, age 26, 3 years no claims and 0 points. That was with Privilege, who were cheapest on my last car too (a 2005 MX5).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Timmsy
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by Timmsy »

Tbf that's not bad!

I'm 30, 0 points 6 years no claims and I pay £450. That said I did change mid year from a modified Clio 172 so hopefully will drop loads come August
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

£159, £80 excess, Quotemehappy.

But I'm old ;-)
gregmkv
New
Drives: 2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG

Post by gregmkv »

£2,200 for 10 Months.

19 year old

2 Years NCB
1 1/2 years driving
Fox1429
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by Fox1429 »

deanjohnl wrote:So I've owned my GTI for almost a year and sadly my free insurance is coming to an end.

I've spoken to VW Insurance and they're quoting an absolute ridiculous amount of £950!

I'm 36, 10 years no claims and no points. I was expecting somewhere around the £150 mark, which is the amount I was being quoted this time last year!

The lowest I've been quoted is £220 by Admiral and I was wondering what everyone else is paying?

I'm same age as you, no points and 11 years NCD
£220 with Admiral as well ...... Unsurprisingly! Lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LegoDeano
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+ / Limestone Grey

Post by LegoDeano »

When I spoke to VW to set up my 5 day free drive away insurance he gave me a quick quote of £2250 and asked if I'd be happy to proceed with that figure... MADNESS! I actually decided not to take the years free insurance out of fear of not being able to get it back to a lower cost. I was about half way through this terms insurance (I take it on 10 months with Admiral) on my Merc A220 when I picked up the GTI. I was paying £399 for the 10 months and when I changed I got charged £40 (including admin fee) so I'm fairly happy with that.

The Merc was my first car at 23 years old. I'm now 26 with 3 years no claims.

I spoke to a few people before deciding to stick with Admiral and I can't get anywhere close in the slightest. I think my next nearest was £700+. Direct Line wanted just under £1k! When Admiral sent me my renewal for the Merc they jumped it back up to about £650, I think I asked 4 or 5 times over 2 different calls to see what they can do and that's when they settled on £399. I guess for everyone who asks for a discount they have just as many people not questioning their renewal and just paying it!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm old and have a different car (S4), but for once I gave a bit of thought to what to do at insurance renewal time (with Admiral) - so I phoned them up while there was plenty time to play with before the policy ran out - and let them offer me a price to keep my custom (been with them since late May 2000) - and they did, so I have stayed for this year!

As a "special Gold" member of the AA, I did the same thing there while explaining that I was not interested in any of the "value added" bits that being a Gold member gives you as they are only good for Londoncentric drivers - that worked as well, so I'm with them as well for this year!