Drive shaft / cv joint problem

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
jeepster
New
Drives: 1.4 tdi 6n2

Drive shaft / cv joint problem

Post by jeepster »

Hello,

I have just tried to fit a new drive shaft to the passenger side of my polo (2000 6n2 1.4 tdi), all was going well until I torqued up the hub nut and found that the outer cv joint was jammed in the hub carrier, so I had a look at it and there is a lip on the joint that measures 72mm in diameter, I measured the old cv joint and there is no lip and the diameter where it sits in the hub carrier is 66mm, thereby giving it enough clearance.

I have looked online and I haven't been able to find any information about part numbers of the two different joints, but as I say it was part of a complete drive shaft unit bought from www.buycarparts.co.uk ( http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/vw/polo-6n ... rive-shaft ), the model is the Lauber unit, but they also sell more expensive items, made by SKF and Spidan, but the photos are not great quality and you cannot make out if there is a lip on those as well.

I am a bit loathed to send it back just yet as I want to find out exactly what I actually need and as the parts are coming from Germany I don't want them to send me the wrong part a second time. The thing that annoys me is that they did a technical check and assured me that it was the correct part.

Please can someone help me as I have now been without my car for nearly 2 weeks? The only plus side is that it has given me an excuse to ride my motorbike a lot more, although that isn't much use when you need to carry large things or passengers.

Cheers everyone!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Drive shaft / cv joint problem

Post by alexperkins »

I'll check the part number for you

What is the part number for what you have
jeepster
New

Post by jeepster »

Thanks Alex.

The part number on the site I bought it from is 88.2341 (Lauber articale number).

On the Lauber site it says the alternative is VW 6X0407271H

I'm wondering if because the 1.4tdi has the later engine, i.e. the Haynes manual for the 1.4 tdi engine is in the Polo 9N one that they have used the later drive shafts as well.
http://elauber.com/images/14374/medium_165936_3.jpg (the incorrect one that won't fit)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Thats the wrong drive shaft in any case that you have. H is for a non diesel model.

Its going to be 6X0407271K (ESP or EXB gearbox) or 6X0407271M (GAX gearbox) but it could also be 6X0407451X (ESP or EXB gearbox) depending on chassis number

Really need to know what gearbox code your car as fitted, as the drive shafts are gearbox dependent

The 1.4 TDI engine wasnt changed from 2000 > 2009 almost. 9Ns had slightly different driveshafts due to the chassis being different. Yours will have the 6N2 version for sure.

You might be wise to pop into your local VW dealer and get them to tell you which specific part number is correct for your car
jeepster
New

Post by jeepster »

Thanks Alex. I checked with VW dealer and they said the part number for my car is 6X0407451X (now superceded by JZW407451BX), unfortunately it costs double what I paid. The site I bought it from does have the equivalent part - http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=6X0407451X - but as I tried to fit the first part from them to the car I don't know if they will take it back, or if they are legally required to do so because it was not the correct part for my car despite them doing a compatibility check.

As an aside do you know of any UK sellers for Spidan driveshafts, which is what the aftermarket part is?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Good - thats a step in the right direction.

I would say they are obligated to take it back as they have incorrectly supplied a part that they apparently checked would fit your car

I dont see a reason why they could argue it, and wouldnt exchange it for the correct part number

Just contact them explaining that it doesnt fit, and your local VW dealer has confirmed the part number required which they also stock and that you would like an exchange. Given they are located in Germany, request that they arrange collection of the faulty part to - its not your responsibility to pay return postage for their error.

How would you be to know that what they supplied that should fit wouldnt? ;)
jeepster
New

Post by jeepster »

I would have thought that is the case too, the part they sent is a bit scratched from where it was too big and rubbed on the hub carrier where I tried to turn the wheel, but I will try to get it replaced or if that will take too long I might try to get a refund and just buy it from VW.

Thanks again. I will let you know how I get on.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Again, I don't think its your problem - incorrectly supplied, and you weren't to know. They'll have to take the hit.

On the flipside, the VW one will be superior, and has a 2yr warranty as standard.
jeepster
New

Post by jeepster »

They are disputing it, saying that because I tried to fit it that counts as using it and they won't refund me, so I have quoted the Sale of Goods Act 1979, saying that the part supplied is not fit for purpose and that it allows the customer to try it out to see if it is correct before accepting the goods, to see if that will persuade them to co-operate. Fingers crossed!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Though they are located in Germany so that may not apply

I think you need to argue that you werent to know it wouldnt fit, as they assured you it was the correct part for your car.
jeepster
New

Post by jeepster »

If something goes wrong with an item you've bought from another EU country, you may not have the same rights you'd have at home.
But EU wide rules such as the Brussels Regulation mean that some of your consumer rights are still protected by the Distance Selling Regulations and the Sale of Goods Act.
From 13 June 2014, all new contracts entered into online that were previously covered by the Distance Selling Regulations will now be covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

If you receive faulty goods and wish to return them, The Consumer Contracts Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.
So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act as you have when buying in store.
Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty.
jeepster
New

Post by jeepster »

Well! They've finally agreed to take the part back and sent me a pre-paid postage label. They said they will issue a refund after they have received the part back and checked it - which is probably about the best I can hope for.

So now a trip to Colbornes VW in Guildford to buy the OEM part (6X0407451X / JZW407451BX) at a cost of £207 (about £85 more than the same part on buycarparts website), but at least my car will (hopefully) be back on the road by the weekend. Interestingly the same part at Martins VW in Basingstoke costs about £340.

What a saga, but made much easier by your help on this forum, so thanks again Alex, it is much appreciated.
Ninjago
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by Ninjago »

Hi Alex, greeting from Malaysia

My ride is 9N3 1.8 GTI
VIN: WVWZZZ9NZ8Y174335

What are parts no for both left n right drive shafts and share link to reliable online supplier

Thanks
Ninjago
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by Ninjago »

Sorry, this query should move to MK4 thread