Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
lxm
Bronze Member

Re: Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Post by lxm »

blackertracker wrote:
lxm wrote: Top spec, Titanium X
EcoBoost 1.0 125PS engine

Not 100% about the interior or back end, but test drive booked for next week. Power and extras are 'day and night' compared to the Polo.
What was the outcome of the timing chain issue on your Polo?

Fiestas are good to drive but I don't think they're quite as amazing as the motoring press makes them out to be.
Interior lets them down. Not as refined & quiet as some other cars.
As for extras over a Polo? You can't have a sunroof for one thing so not sure it's 'day & night'.
When referring to 'day and night', I mean you can pick up a 2014 titanium x, with under 5k on the clock for 11k. The engine extra power and everything you need (apart from a sunroof) I agree with the interior, I will need to evaluate on test drive!

Polo cost me 1.6k to sort, VW wanted nothing to do with it. That made me sick to the stomach, and although I've just 'invested' 1.6k into the car I honestly just want rid of it at the moment, it really ruined my relationship with the car, and the engine is pretty out-dated.

All I can say is Volkswagen have hugely let themselves down! They incorporate a lifetime timing chain in an engine which cannot be maintained or serviced, which fails and completely destroys the engine, and take no responsibility at all.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Im quite shocked that VW didnt want to help sort the timing chain out - what was their exact reponse? Presumably they gave a reason as to why they wouldnt fix it/even contribute?
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

lxm wrote:
Polo cost me 1.6k to sort, VW wanted nothing to do with it. That made me sick to the stomach, and although I've just 'invested' 1.6k into the car I honestly just want rid of it at the moment, it really ruined my relationship with the car, and the engine is pretty out-dated.

All I can say is Volkswagen have hugely let themselves down! They incorporate a lifetime timing chain in an engine which cannot be maintained or serviced, which fails and completely destroys the engine, and take no responsibility at all.
I can quite understand why you'd want to move away from VW after that. Sorry to hear.
My cousin had an older Polo 1.2 with timing chain which went, but that was because he hadn't ever checked the oil (not saying this was your issue).

Cars with cam chains generally need their oil changing more often than a belt cam car - the "LongLife" service regimes IMO are no good for such cars when they might only get an oil change every 2+ years. Having said that VW have had some issues with chain & tensioner parts quality in the past, so you can just get unlucky even when looking after your car. In that case VW should cough up but in this country they do seem to be able to get away with it, as opposed to say the USA where they were forced to issue an extended warranty on the 7 speed DSG boxes that have proved unreliable.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Car is serviced every 10k or less and has had 6 services! and oil level indicated at each service was an acceptable level!

Have just drafted and sent an email to VWUK, await there response and will post details when they arrive, but there initial communication was that there is no goodwill allocated to a 2010 1.2 70PS Moda.
Last edited by lxm on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

lxm wrote:Car is serviced every 10k or less and has had 6 services! and oil level indicated at each service was an acceptable level!

Have just drafted and sent an email to VWUK, await there response and will post details when they arrive.
Yep, I reckon you should pursue VW hard on this, especially when all/most of the car's service history is at VW dealers.
Check http://www.honestjohn.co.uk which is a good motoring site for consumer advice on issues like this.
If VW don't offer anything and you wanted to take it further I think you'd have to sue the garage you bought the car off, as in UK law it's the supplier that is liable not the manufacturer.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

lxm wrote:Image

Top spec, Titanium X
EcoBoost 1.0 125PS engine

Not 100% about the interior or back end, but test drive booked for next week. Power and extras are 'day and night' compared to the Polo.
I was torn between fiesta and polo. Went for the 1.2 tsi but tbh I wish I had given the fiesta more of a look. I love the polo but it's not as amazing as I thought it would be. Interior is much nicer on the polo but wouldn't say it was better built than previous Ford Focus I had. Not that impressed with the handling of the polo seems to have tons of body roll in corners and a bit of wind noise. Polo looks a lot better tho imo
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

We have heard back from Volkswagen UK Customer Service.

They have offered us a free service for our inconvenience of timing chain failure.... Heh, apparently 'car parts can go' and that is why they give a 3 year warranty.....

The service manager pointed out to us that the £1900 engine rebuild is covered with a 2 year warranty to put our minds at ease....... :twisted: :D :lol:

Idiots.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Looking at a 2012/2013 BMW 1 series 116i sport with 10-18k on the clock....... anyone got any thoughts ? 140bhp rear wheel drive. Had a look around a few and really like them.

Looking at a a few crimson red, 3 door with sun protection pack, cruise control and xeon headlights. 1 year full warranty from bmw, and then I would take out a fully comp bmw main dealer warranty yearly after that at just under £500 to be safe.

The polo is starting to look a little dated, I dont know the engine at idle sometimes just seems awful noisy and I would like a little more kick.

I had toyed with the idea of another 6R 1.2 TSI SEL - but I have already been bitten once with the timing chain. Also looked at the 1.2 TSI SEL 6C, and the 6C GTI, local VW dealer doing them at £229 a month, £1k deposit... But then again id prefer to buy my car and own it.....

Or I could buy a £500 scrapper for a year and probably enjoy it more than all of the above :shock:
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

anyone know what this connector is ?
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

lxm wrote:anyone know what this connector is ?
Looks like the connection into the alternator to me
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Any reason this would be unplugged without any effect to the cars operation?
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

lxm wrote:Any reason this would be unplugged without any effect to the cars operation?
I'm not sure. It could be monitoring the performance of the alternator and has perhaps been disconnected because there's a fault?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

That plug has two wires, and one of them is the alternator load sense wire and the other is the supply to provide excitation to allow the alternator to provide charge from initially low revs. If this plug was disconnected, I'd expect that the "charge (not) warning" light would not come on when the ignition was switched on + the battery would not charge until the engine reved above maybe 3000RPM also some of the brake ABS and ESP functions would complain, if not exactly at start-up, some short time later.
haflidi3
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 1.4 2013

Post by haflidi3 »

I have the 1.4L polo 6r 2013 And im happy with it. It has way more power too it then i thought although i always want more :))) . I would suggest you to go for the 1.4 petrol its a pretty good one. And ofcourse a manual.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

This is up for sale.....

80k miles, Full service history... (8 services) 1.6k repair bill on replacing engine parts, timing chain + updated tensioner... :lol: So it deffinetly wont go boom unlike many un-upgraded ones

£4000.... cheapest on autotrader/ebay etc nd it is in nice condition.