GTI 6c With DTUK box and running decat

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
WULLIE
New
Drives: 2015 GTI 6C

GTI 6c With DTUK box and running decat

Post by WULLIE »

Guys has anyone got a DTUK and a decat pipe on their GTI 6c 1.8?

I'm considering the decat to reduce restriction and improve spool from turbo and the DTUK for the ease of removability.

BUT.... Do they work together? Does the box do anything to block the signal from the exhaust O2 sensor?

I've seen some folk fitting O2 sensor spacers on the golf r which i'm assuming is the same set up regarding exhaust/O2 sensors.
georgebentham
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

Re: GTI 6c With DTUK box and running decat

Post by georgebentham »

WULLIE wrote:Guys has anyone got a DTUK and a decat pipe on their GTI 6c 1.8?

I'm considering the decat to reduce restriction and improve spool from turbo and the DTUK for the ease of removability.

BUT.... Do they work together? Does the box do anything to block the signal from the exhaust O2 sensor?

I've seen some folk fitting O2 sensor spacers on the golf r which i'm assuming is the same set up regarding exhaust/O2 sensors.
DTUK box wont like it if you decat downpipe.
If you're going to do that you are better with a stage 2 remap (although, I have a DTUK box with an intake and it is running 260bhp! I wouldn't want or need any more than that, it is a little rocket ship now! The change is unbelievable.
WULLIE
New

Post by WULLIE »

Thanks George. On previous cars ive taken cat out and it does tend to cause overspooling as the turbo initially comes on boost.

I take it theres no option/program on the DTUK to accommodate this?

I'm not entirely sure what the programs do. What changes when you adjust them? Ive seen a few posts on here and VWROC which state they change delivery and overall power. But what is happening when they are changed?

Would be good if there was one which worked with the reduced back pressure
georgebentham
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

Post by georgebentham »

programmes are for different maps. so the way the power is delivered is different across the 3 maps.
Then +1+2+3 is the amount of boosting it does and how aggressively it puts its power down.

If you go decat downpipe it will throw engine management light up unless you get it mapped and DTUK box wont like it. Sorry, no warranty safe way to go decat!
dtuk_polo
New
Drives: DTUK Tuned Polo GTI

Post by dtuk_polo »

Hi Wullie,

The dtuk box can be used with de-cat systems... in fact it can be used with any supporting mods. I'm awaiting my scorpion cat-back system to arrive and then when the decat down pipe arrives i'll be adding that too.

Adam
sacs2
New
Drives: A VW ONE

Post by sacs2 »

georgebentham wrote:

If you're going to do that you are better with a stage 2 remap (although, I have a DTUK box with an intake and it is running 260bhp! I wouldn't want or need any more than that, it is a little rocket ship now! The change is unbelievable.

260hp with just a box and intake? you got a dyno of that or just guess work
WULLIE
New

Post by WULLIE »

Adam, does the DTUK box have a way of dealing with the faster spool of the turbo which is caused with reducing back pressure from de-cat?

Usually the faster spool causes an initial overboost and can upset the ecu which shuts down the power.

From what I've read (and above) the +1+2+3 functions adjust how the boost is handled. But is there any more detail/preference that actually suits the de-cat?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

what he means by it works with any mods. is that you can use it with a de-cat but doesn't stop the emissions light coming on.

not even sure a proper re-map would help with a de-cat, think that only works with a sports cat
8arran8
New
Drives: 6c GTI

Post by 8arran8 »

sacs2 wrote:
georgebentham wrote:

260hp with just a box and intake? you got a dyno of that or just guess work
There are half a dozen or so guys on the FaceBook page with the box and intakes that all have rolling road before/after prints.
An intake alone rolling road tested gives 10-15hp gains
dtuk_polo
New
Drives: DTUK Tuned Polo GTI

Post by dtuk_polo »

WULLIE wrote:Adam, does the DTUK box have a way of dealing with the faster spool of the turbo which is caused with reducing back pressure from de-cat?

Usually the faster spool causes an initial overboost and can upset the ecu which shuts down the power.

From what I've read (and above) the +1+2+3 functions adjust how the boost is handled. But is there any more detail/preference that actually suits the de-cat?

If you're looking for full on performance from any supporting mods then you're better off going for a remap. But the DTUK box will work with any supporting mods and will give you the extra gains still too. The + settings just add a little more of the program you're running on the box. The DTUK box doesn't even effect the ECU as it intercepts the sensors after the ECU but before the sensors... crazy how it actually works.

In theory with any decat you're going to have a light... but theres no reason why the box won't work with a decat, it shouldn't cause any problems with any supporting mods.

:D :D
gregmkv
New
Drives: 2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG

Post by gregmkv »

8arran8 wrote:
sacs2 wrote:
georgebentham wrote:260hp with just a box and intake? you got a dyno of that or just guess work
There are half a dozen or so guys on the FaceBook page with the box and intakes that all have rolling road before/after prints.
An intake alone rolling road tested gives 10-15hp gains
No rolling road evidence of the box giving it 260bhp though.

The only dyno-proven figure is 240bhp with the box (and intake I believe?) so....
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

If your going to be doing mods like air intakes, exhausts and decats etc a custom remap is the only option to get the best from them. Tuning boxes have a set generic map which was created from a standard car. Custom remap will accomidate your mods. But no point in doing custom map till you have done all your mods though.