People parking too close / opening doors - grrr!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: People parking too close / opening doors - grrr!

Post by SRGTD »

I feel your pain Stu; had the same happen to me a few weeks back on the rear near side wheel arch. Like you, I always park a long way away from other cars in the supermarket car park, and at home my car is garaged. Think mine happened when I went to the dentist and had to park on a busy public car park with not very generous sized spaces.

Although not a large ding, it was a noticeable. Got the PDR man out and £72 later, it was gone, and you can't see where it was now.
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

Had something similar but it was scratch marks on my front bumper caused by a neighbour.

The satisfaction I had when I cleaned my car to see the marks fully clean off and her bumper scratched was immense. I guess all my cleaning and waxing had paid off!
MichelKasapovic
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 1,2 tsi 90bhp 6r,6c

Post by MichelKasapovic »

Some fat guy struggling to get in [emoji4] feel sorry for you and i dont think you are overreacting. It neerly breaks my heart when i see a scratch on my polo and its 9 month old. Hope its a one timer[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MichelKasapovic
Getting There!

JoeMarano wrote:Had something similar but it was scratch marks on my front bumper caused by a neighbour.

The satisfaction I had when I cleaned my car to see the marks fully clean off and her bumper scratched was immense. I guess all my cleaning and waxing had paid off!
Yes, cleaning and waxing can really make a difference to protect car from weather and some scratch marks[emoji106]

derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

My previous car was parked in a disabled bay in Tesco, stacks of room either side but when I came out someone had scraped along rear door and wheel arch !!!!
You look after your car and some moron does that........I was just as angry as you and I don't think you was over reacting at all.
derkie54
Getting There!

Post by derkie54 »

As you can see from my earlier post a disabled bay is no guarantee and when you get out of the car people watch you, I think they want you to crawl from the car to the supermarket to justify your badge.
Getting back to topic most people put their hand between the door and the next car so as not to damage it but that doesn't include the people who just don't care.
MichelKasapovic
Getting There!

BigStu81 wrote:Good to hear I'm not the only one who gets infuriated by this kind of reckless disregard for other's property.

The women who I'm fairly sure did it has a pretty nice BMW (company car) and the rims are kerbed to f and it always looks dull and dirty. Personally, I think she should be given one of the 1.6 Golfs to drive around in!

It just beggars belief. My car is by far the shiniest in the car park and looks spanking new (which it obv is). I just don't know how people can take absolutely no notice. One of my other colleagues has just had her brand new Range Rover scratched by another salesman who parked really close and squeezed past her car with a laptop bag slung over his shoulder - the zip obv did the damage.

I swear I'm going to start walking with a limp and park in the disabled bay (like my boss does with his Cayenne!).
Funny to see you write that. Got hold of a disabled P-card. In Denmark a blue one with a wheelchair. The parking space is bigger and you dont need to pay anywhere. Gonna use it from tomorrow, no numbers on them so i cant see how they will check it without calling the police to see what licence plate tell. Lets se how long it works.

skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

This is why I park on the top floor of car parks, park as far from Tesco as I can and even at work, park across the road where there's a vacant office block.

If parking is tight and you have no choice but to park in a bay with common folk, there's a few rules I follow.

- Park as central as possible in a bay
- If parking on the end, park as close to the far side as possible to maixmise distance between your car and the fellow next you,
- Do not park next to people carriers.

I only drive a Polo, but to me, I treat it like it's a Ferrari.

There's a woman at my work who dings doors so frequent that someone has had to strap foam pipe insulation on his door just to protect his car from her. :mrgreen:

Here's parking at work, my special space. Enough room to swing a cat all round 8) 8)
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

it's when you come out to find this really boils your p***
derkie54
Getting There!

Post by derkie54 »

I park like you... what's wrong with these people you will have to spend your hard earned money to put it right and you will because you like to look after your car.

Having used them I can recommend Chips Away, the one I used in Gloucester did an excellent job.
You could not tell there had been any damage and the door and rear wheel arch had multiple scrapes.
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

derkie54 wrote:I park like you... what's wrong with these people you will have to spend your hard earned money to put it right and you will because you like to look after your car.

Having used them I can recommend Chips Away, the one I used in Gloucester did an excellent job.
You could not tell there had been any damage and the door and rear wheel arch had multiple scrapes.
+1 for chips away. When I scraped a Fiesta (whoops) it took a chunk of paint off the rear bumper.
Chips away redid half the bumper and it came up brilliantly!

My 1998 Honda didn't even have a scratch
derkie54
Getting There!

Post by derkie54 »

Let us know how it goes Stu.
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

A few weeks ago I'd parked up in Tesco, right at the back of the car park no other cars near me. As I was walking to the shop another woman came and parked next to me, so I started walking back ready to move the car to another spot. She must have realised because she drove off and parked elsewhere :lol:
MichelKasapovic
Getting There!

Dink wrote:it's when you come out to find this really boils your p***
Im from Denmark and it seems that in GB there is cctv everywhere. What about car parks??

MichelKasapovic
Getting There!

skymera wrote:
derkie54 wrote:I park like you... what's wrong with these people you will have to spend your hard earned money to put it right and you will because you like to look after your car.

+1 for chips away. When I scraped a Fiesta (whoops) it took a chunk of paint off the rear bumper.
Chips away redid half the bumper and it came up brilliantly!

My 1998 Honda didn't even have a scratch
If you could see my motorhelmet (think you know what i meen)got a new polo in february and after the summer i was shocked to see so many points with no paint. Small rocks or bugs. Never had a car with a paintjob that thin. Im cleaning waxing reguarly butmy oldercars without plastic Doors and bumper looks better. Sad