Front shocks leaking oil

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Don7601
New
Drives: 2015 GTi

Front shocks leaking oil

Post by Don7601 »

Fitted H&R springs yesterday to my 2016 GTI yesterday. Now both front shocks are leaking massive amounts of oil.

Any ideas??

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Front shocks leaking oil

Post by iichel »

For starters, a bit more info would be useful.

Were they leaking oil since the fitting of the springs or was the problem already present before? Did you observe it only at the front or is there also leakage at the rear? Normal shocks or DCC?

If the lowering springs are the cause then I'd say put back the old springs and replace the shocks or get a pair of bilstein shocks (i.e b4 or b6).
Don7601
New

Post by Don7601 »

The car has 18k on the clock. Shocks were as new when fitting the springs. Drove for an hour after fitting and parked up. A few hours later there was a large puddle of oil on the drive.

No DCC, just normal set up.

Surely fitting std springs is not the solution? Must be loads of cars out there running (the reputable) H&R springs.

joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Sounds as though the change in shocks working length with the shorter springs has affected the seals or you twisted the shocks body when refitting and tightening the top bearing- easily done if you slip with the spanner and key. This can break the seals.
Don7601
New

Post by Don7601 »

joe6 wrote:Sounds as though the change in shocks working length with the shorter springs has affected the seals or you twisted the shocks body when refitting and tightening the top bearing- easily done if you slip with the spanner and key. This can break the seals.
Yeah, I'm thinking the latter. Having run lowering springs on many cars over the years I'm aware the shocks go over time. But not after an hour on both sides.

New front shocks it is [emoji35]

pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Good job they weren't DCC's....think they cost c. £250/corner! Not looking forward to having to change one on mine at that cost!
Don7601
New

Post by Don7601 »

I can get sachs for £45+ vat each. Seems decent value

pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Don7601 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 pm I can get sachs for £45+ vat each. Seems decent value

Thats cheap!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

joe6 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 am Sounds as though the change in shocks working length with the shorter springs has affected the seals or you twisted the shocks body when refitting and tightening the top bearing- easily done if you slip with the spanner and key. This can break the seals.

Oh, tell me more, I have a broken front spring on an equivalent SEAT Ibiza, and will be replacing both sides, so taking off the top bearing etc!
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 pm
joe6 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 am Sounds as though the change in shocks working length with the shorter springs has affected the seals or you twisted the shocks body when refitting and tightening the top bearing- easily done if you slip with the spanner and key. This can break the seals.

Oh, tell me more, I have a broken front spring on an equivalent SEAT Ibiza, and will be replacing both sides, so taking off the top bearing etc!
A few things to be careful with. Take care not to scratch the spindle rod that goes into the shocks body as this will damage the seal - could happen when compressing the springs; try not to turn the spindle too much when loosening and tightening to the top bearing and torque the top nut to the correct setting when refitting. Hope all goes well.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Thanks for that advice, I've taken it onboard, I'll be using "passthrough" socket set to remove/fit the threaded bushes and top nuts and using experience to judge actual torque levels!