Oops

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Oops

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that if they are repairing the wing and bumper, then the repair should be okay as normally replacement would be done purely down to cost saving over repairing a panel or a bumper. Remember your insurer or the paying insurer (same in your case) can and will if necessary use aftermarket repair parts if they are cheaper and to an acceptable quality - the repair industry will no doubt set what constitutes "acceptable" quality.

Also remember the first part of a VW Group part number only identifies the original platform using that version of that part, so in some cases a 6R0 part is okay to use on a 6C0 platform, and conversely, if a part is modified enough, a 6C0 part is okay to use on a 6R0 platform, that second situation would normally only happen where a part revision/upgrade took place after the end of 6R0 production.

Edit:- condensers on back order, oh dear, I hope that is only due to too many getting trashed by flying stones, I think that I considered fitting some form of stone guard to my wife's 2015 Polo SEL, but so far I've done nothing about that - maybe some versions of Polo have bumper designs that protect the condenser better than others?

My tip would be to exercise extreme caution when trying to get a repair place to do things "your way" - as this is an insurance job they will do what the system says they can do with very little room for your input, I'm sorry to say. Don't let this end up with you being faced with "well that was what you wanted" when/if things turn bad.

Another Edit:- any update on what the original "we don't want to fix it" problem was, ie what extra work do this second repair place need to do to correct some early repair work that was not thought to be up to standard?
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 pm I think that if they are repairing the wing and bumper, then the repair should be okay as normally replacement would be done purely down to cost saving over repairing a panel or a bumper. Remember your insurer or the paying insurer (same in your case) can and will if necessary use aftermarket repair parts if they are cheaper and to an acceptable quality - the repair industry will no doubt set what constitutes "acceptable" quality.

Also remember the first part of a VW Group part number only identifies the original platform using that version of that part, so in some cases a 6R0 part is okay to use on a 6C0 platform, and conversely, if a part is modified enough, a 6C0 part is okay to use on a 6R0 platform, that second situation would normally only happen where a part revision/upgrade took place after the end of 6R0 production.

Edit:- condensers on back order, oh dear, I hope that is only due to too many getting trashed by flying stones, I think that I considered fitting some form of stone guard to my wife's 2015 Polo SEL, but so far I've done nothing about that - maybe some versions of Polo have bumper designs that protect the condenser better than others?

My tip would be to exercise extreme caution when trying to get a repair place to do things "your way" - as this is an insurance job they will do what the system says they can do with very little room for your input, I'm sorry to say. Don't let this end up with you being faced with "well that was what you wanted" when/if things turn bad.

Another Edit:- any update on what the original "we don't want to fix it" problem was, ie what extra work do this second repair place need to do to correct some early repair work that was not thought to be up to standard?
I think the "we don't want to fix it" issue was anther thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The garage confirmed that all panels were replaced that needed doing so. The repair was for the paint chip on the drivers side. So I'm pretty happy with it.

Condenser arrived Friday morning and I went to check the car out yesterday morning. Overall, it was good. The quality of paint work was far superior to "VW Approved" Martins in Basingstoke

Unfortunately there were some issues so I told them to keep it until it's fixed:
- They burned through the paint on the A pillar when polishing
- Overspray on the wing mirror plastics
- Front end panel fitment was... off. I'm not sure how but the drivers headlight seemed set back further than the passenger yet they lined up perfectly with the bumper. The drivers wing seems to be jutting out slightly too. Bonnet seemed slightly offset with the VW badge in the grill yet the wing panel gaps seemed to be okay.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That is not fair, there should only be one thread about accident damage on each page of this forum!

In other words, yes I got it wrong, maybe I should not assume I know the rest of a thread, I'm try to improve!

I hope that you get the fit and finish issues sorted out to your standards.
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

Car was delivered back yesterday. On the surface they appeared to fix all issues raised last week.

The delivery guy refused to remove the car from the truck until I had signed paperwork to say everything was okay. This made it very difficult to actually review any work done. After a brief look , I had no choice but to give it the ok.

Once I got home I have noticed some further issues they have ignored or, in my opinion, bodged:

Incorrectly fitted door card. The door card clip is not secured under the black plastic trim that backs the mirror
Image Image

They removed the paint overspray with an abrasive compound which has ruined the finish
Image Image

Lastly, they have snapped some fastening mechanism to the outer plastic trim that sits in the front of the side mirror, you can just see it in the pic below
The part highlighted below on the red GTi :)
Image Image

I have spoken to the insurer who will chase the garage. They have one more chance to resolve this before the car will be taken to a different repairer.
- Remove and refit passenger door trim
- Replace both side mirror trims
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Man I feel for you.....been there albeit some years ago with my wifes old 9N3.

Car was only 3 weeks old with 350 miles on the clock and took it up the rear whilst practically stationary...the other car probably doing 30/40mph at time of impact.

Ours should have been a write-off but our insurance company decided to fix it......Took 9 months to get it fixed to an acceptable standard and even then we had ongoing issues with it......one notable issue was number plate lights that failed that upon taking it to VW for repair transpired had been electrical taped together rather than using the official VAG connectors lol.

Was glad to see the back of that car and rather pitty how ended up with it. Car accidents are a ball ache....luckily yours doesnt look so bad....just a case of pressing to get the outcome you want.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Holy crap. That's just awful.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm not offering this as a valid excuse or reason for poor workmanship, but that area of these cars, well 5 door at least, has not been thought out very well by VW in my mind, getting that bit of internal trim looking good on both sides has defeated me on my wife's 6C August 2015 Polo SEL - I try to ignore it when I'm in that car!
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

Hi all,

Thanks for supporting comments. My car is being collected on Weds.

The repairer seemed fairly understanding and were quick in arranging collection and delivery of another courtesy car.

I have also noticed this on the passenger side wing mirror. I don't recall there being any overspray this side so I'm finding it hard to understand how it's in this condition?
But what I do have is excellent photos of the car after the crash and it wasn't there

Hi-res before: http://i.imgur.com/fulUbkm.jpg

Image Image
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

skymera wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:39 am Hi all,

Thanks for supporting comments. My car is being collected on Weds.

The repairer seemed fairly understanding and were quick in arranging collection and delivery of another courtesy car.

I have also noticed this on the passenger side wing mirror. I don't recall there being any overspray this side so I'm finding it hard to understand how it's in this condition?
But what I do have is excellent photos of the car after the crash and it wasn't there
Possible cause;

If painting the wing also involved blending the new paint into the door, that trim piece would've been removed. It could've got dirty/dusty when pressure was applied to it when it was re-fitted. I suspect that someone in the bodyshop has been a little enthusiastic in cleaning off the dirt in this localised area.

You could try using a rubber, plastic and vinyl on the surrounding area. Textured plastic trim does become engrained with dirt and grime over time, irrespective of how often you clean your car. The slightly darker area in your picture (the part that I suspect has been cleaned) looks like the original factory finish. Cleaning the sourounding area should restore the colour of the complete trim piece back to factory fresh black.
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

The car has been collected for repair.

Annoyingly the guy loading the car onto the recovery truck took no care and drove the car forward and it hit the loading ramps. Bottom the bumper is chipped and scuffed.
Just another thing for them to rectify :x :x :shock: :roll:
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

Car is going back in for repair for the fourth time.

Bumper is incorrectly fitted. Doesn't line up with the wing etc.
Door card clip snapped
Rubber window trim not fitted correctly.

:roll: