Engine judder at idle

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Re: Engine judder at idle

Post by Mayhem »

when its on the move theres barely any noise its just ticky/ rattly at standstill. i used to drive a duratec focus so its no where near as noisy as that
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

Rattily, ticky, start-up aside. I'm quite impressed with the little 1.2, imo it punches well above its weight. How well it laps up motorway speeds 70-80+ has really surprised me. Rather than running out of puff it comes into it's own. Plus even if I'm not driving like an eco-mentalist I'm easily hitting 42-43mpg pootling around and once it's on a decent run it's much better.
PoloWhite6r
New

Engine judder at idle

Post by PoloWhite6r »

chrispy. wrote:Hello

Not sure if its just me or if its a problem but when I'm sitting at idle in neutral.. The engine will intermittently judder. There is no rhythm to it, just a random judder now and again.

It is enough to move the passengers in the car
The revs don't seem to change..

Could it be a misfire? Problem with the ignition system? Or am i thinking too much into it?

Thanks!
Hi, not sure if you have figured out the problem for the juddering yet, but depending on the milage it could be the spark plugs. I done 53k in my 1.2 and it started juddering randomly at idle. Changed the plugs and hasn't happened since. This was last feb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

That's interesting and worth knowing. I'm not sure what the age interval for changing the plugs is recommended??

Thinking about it I wouldn't really call it a judder, it's just at tick-over, especially when cold you sort of notice the odd missed beat. As fuel as become cheaper I've started using Shell V-Power instead of normal unleaded and that appears to have helped too.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by chrispy. »

Hmmm thanks for this.. Will be changing them soon anyway from a annual service
PoloWhite6r
New

Post by PoloWhite6r »

Yeah i'd agree feels like it misses a beat but my revs always dropped slightly too. I tried redex first of all and you could say that helped, and nearly always used shell fuel, just not v-power.

To shed some light on the amount of time they last and how often to get them changed, I heard they are 60k plugs. Whether this is true or not I don't know, worth asking next time youre at VW
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Cheers, I did have a little 'Google' on the Eurocarparts site and was quite surprised to see they are £60 a set give or take. Must be showing my age last time a bought a set of plugs they were £20..lol

If anyone knows the correct part number that would be handy... :)
chrispy.
Gold Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by chrispy. »

Try Carparts4less
Same as Euro car parts but cheaper as they are online only :)
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Holy thread revival but I had been experiencing the same with my 2015 6C GTI.

I asked VW to investigate this today as it was in for a major (40k mile) service and other minor warranty work. They found no fault but the plugs were changed as part of the service and it runs sweet as a nut now, rock steady idling.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Wow! 2015..

I swapped my plugs, distributor and HT Leads recently yet still get the same.

I have a feeling it could be down to the timing chain tensioner/chain itself.

Am looking to replace the car for a new one soon so haven't really spent the time looking into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

I thought it was solved but no its still doing it. I think it must just be a characteristic as VW found no faults on the car or ECU updates.

My cars done nearly 41k miles and aside from this hasnt skipped a beat. I dont think its anything to get particularly worried about.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

pipsyp wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:53 pm I thought it was solved but no its still doing it. I think it must just be a characteristic as VW found no faults on the car or ECU updates.

My cars done nearly 41k miles and aside from this hasnt skipped a beat. I dont think its anything to get particularly worried about.
It did not do this initially so if it is still under warranty get the dealer to sort it. The most difficult issues to sort are those that do not throw up an error code which sounds like your case. Workshops don't like dealing with these because of the time involved as it comes down to the experience of the mechanic, his guesswork and parts at their expense.
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

Think thats half the problem with main dealer maintenance. The service you get is only ever as good as the technician you get assigned on the day.

A seasoned master tech will definitely be more thorough and consistent than a regular tech or apprentice; just the way it is I guess. Also they just tend to rely on electronic diagnostics and bolting on new parts (often guesswork)...not the more old school tinker and diagnose way of doing things.

That said theyve looked at the issue and no concerns raised...it doesnt bother me or worry me enough (given its now done 41k, 11 in my ownership and problem free otherwise) to keep on having it investigated.