Looking for some recommendations

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
darksky66
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 6R

Looking for some recommendations

Post by darksky66 »

Just recently bought a polo 6R three door the other week, my first real car that wasn't a banger aha. Just looking for some mods or styles I guess I could add to it, make mine just a little bit different to everyone elses. SO far added black wing mirror covers to it and tinted the back windows out, standard stuff. Just looking for some recommendations really guys, so post anything you think would look cool. I'm currently looking at adding some LED front lights to it,all up in the air right now. Thanks guys. (please be gentle, I know it looks s**t right now) Image Image
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Looking for some recommendations

Post by iichel »

I like the colour
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I know it’s all a matter of personal taste and I fully respect that but to me heavily tinted rear windows destroy design cohesion and make the vehicle resemble a pizza delivery van, a nice Dominos sticker on the side would be the finishing touch.
darksky66
New

Post by darksky66 »

More of a pizza hut guy unfortunately :lol:
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

darksky,

Forgive me if I appear to be over-critical but I often wonder why people buy a specific edition of a car and then immediately set about modifying it to make it the same as some other. Is it always impatience, in that people aren't prepared to wait until they can afford the better, fuller edition, or what? Or is perhaps youthful exuberance, or an innate need to get hands-on with the techy stuff? Maybe none of those? Conceivably, you bought the Polo secondhand? However, I wonder whether, in time, you might regret the changes you're making.

Regarding the tinted rear windows, they do seem rather heavily tinted to me. Mine are factory-tinted (as per normal VW production), but nowhere near as darkened as yours. I presume that you can still see out of them, enough to manoevre the car when reversing, say? I wonder whether the degree of darkening you've chosen might fit with what the law says about such things. Did you explore that, before you made that change?

On much the same tack, I think you should give due consideration also to your proposal for fitting front LEDs. If you mean to change your main-beam lights, then that's a major job and I think that, at present, you're unlikely to find any LED bulbs that would, at the same time, be compatible with the lenses of your main-beam lights. Daytime running lights, if physically separate from your main-beams, might be slightly less problematical. I don't have LED DRL's on my 6R/6C Polo, mine are filament-type DRL's. I wish I had LED types instead, but retrofitting the Polo's DRL's isn't as easy and as straightforward as it at first seems. Not only will there be issues with the onboard management system not recognising them being in-circuit but also, once again, there could be problems in finding just the right sort that comply with UK law at present. It might be better to wait until the law's more accommodating on that score and VW perhaps later offering a retro-fittable kit of parts.

Another aspect worth considering is the effect of any such changes on your vehicle insurance. At the very least, you'll need to inform your insurers of any important changes to the car, and I'd have thought that anything that materially effects your allround vision from the driver's seat (if indeed at all) and/or your ability to see and be seen at night would fall into that category. Failure to adequately inform your insurers could leave you with invalidated cover.
darksky66
New

Post by darksky66 »

The reason I choose to do this is just down to pure individuality, I could have kept the bog standard tint on my VW polo and not changed the wing mirrors, but to me I consider that boring. For me buying a car is just the first step, then I like to add things to them (subtlety) to make my car stand out from the next VW polo 6R. I get that isn't for everyone but for me that's what makes cars fun for me. I always check the legal side of things before I make adjustments to it, as these things cost a lot of money, I would never jump into them without full research behind it. I would hate to spend £150-200 on adjustments only to be told they aren't legal and have to pay to change them back
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Post by gaza1994 »

Here's mine to give you some ideas :)

RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Wow, (cynical wrinkly Christmas comment coming up):- what is the handle on the front for, preparing for the next breakdown? I thought that it was only very old Civics that had that handle/strap fitted - they don't look good when they are covered in salty/gritty road curd though.

Edit:- it had to be said, no point in beating around the bush!
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

you can say what you want, RUM4MO, but it's easy to spot in any carpark
darksky66
New

Post by darksky66 »

Gazza1994, that's a really nice looking car man! Bet you're proud of it, know I would be aha. What's the official term for that 'handle' :lol:
Ash6R
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI SEL

Post by Ash6R »

Hey i just got black mirror caps for my polo as well! I was wondering how you replaced them since i read you have to take the mirrors off first, kinda worried about damaging them. Any advice?

Also as for mod ideas i would go for a GTI grille or a r line grille. I have the GTI grille with black badges and im really liking it so far!
darksky66
New

Post by darksky66 »

I had one of my dads mates do the covers for them as he's done them before, he's done 5 now and 2 out of those 5, the mirror has broken. The only advice I would say is just take your time and be careful with it, money's on the line! :lol:
I'm assuming you took the GTI badges off the grille if it came with it? IF so what did you replace it with? Also where did you buy your black badges? Looking for some myself and can't seem to find a matching pair..
Ash6R
Bronze Member

Post by Ash6R »

Yeah i took the GTI badges off, i haven't put anything else on yet since i can't find any decent looking TSI grille badges on ebay. Also this is the black badge i have on mine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Polo-6R-G ... Sw3v5YncXs

This picture was before the black badges were added.
darksky66
New

Post by darksky66 »

Yo man that is siiick🔥🔥, what year is it? Also you got an pics with the black badges on?
For a replacement I considered an ABT grill badge in the slot, don't know what its actually look like mind..
Ash6R
Bronze Member

Post by Ash6R »

Its a 2012, don't have any pics atm, need to wash my car first! I think the ABT should look pretty good, i might put on the R badge if i get a WRC front bumper.