New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by johnpolo2 »

Been advised by my dealer that vw have had to pull the wireless charging unit from GTI models because of issues with it. I'm also looking at a car ready by september/october, ordered in january. It's only a car .....

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

It's not the wireless charger it's the phone amplifier it's affecting Skoda & seat as well
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I was told wireless charger. Does this mean that the phone can't be used through the car?

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:46 pm Been advised by my dealer that vw have had to pull the wireless charging unit from GTI models because of issues with it. I'm also looking at a car ready by september/october, ordered in january. It's only a car .....

The wireless charging issue affects not just the Polo, it affects other VW models and other brands within the VAG of companies, and it’s been discussed on other forums during the last couple of weeks. The issue seems to be with a signal booster that forms part of the wireless charging option being able to pick up wireless signals from sources that are illegal to intercept. Cars that have already been delivered to dealerships with this technology fitted are having to have the booster removed before they can be delivered to customers.

From one of the Seat forums last week;

It has come to light that the signal-boosting technology has been found to be capable of receiving signals from restricted sources and organisations that are ordinarily illegal to intercept.

In the interests of public security and regulatory constraints, SEAT has taken the decision to immediately stop deliveries of all new and used vehicles containing these wireless charging phone boxes.

The issue does not affect customers’ safety and from the limited details we have been given it certainly sounds fixable, the actual technology working effectively – perhaps overly so – and the aim being to ensure that customers will no longer be able to receive data that they shouldn’t have access to.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:47 am Just a quick/curious question:- has any of this got anything to do with OFCOM ruling and what is VW's equivalent of "Audi Phone Box" Ie the car having the ability to use a built in aerial signal amplifier to boost mobile phone signals?

This will be a UK only issue if it is so no other sales territories will affected. [/quote

Like I said already, this only affects UK market cars, good old OFCOM seem to have signed off this type of equipment then added in some exclusions in small print - that is said to have caught VW Group out - as well as messing it its UK based buyers.

Apparently this sort of equipment is already in use in some UK buildings and they will not be affected by anything that OFCOM have written wrt to this kit in cars.

Now, who could have worked out having a signal booster for mobile phone signals in a car, which is a metal box, could be anything other than a handy idea!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Good News.
My dealer informs me that my GTI + begins its build on Monday May 28th after our order on Feb 10th. They will pay for the MOT on our trade in UP which is due at the end of this month, suggest we leave the service until they take the car in( we do minimal miles anyway) and that VW will honour the free years insurance if it was available on the order date. ( Which I think it was)
I will have to renew the insurance on the UP and see what arrangement I can make for a cancellation when the GTI arrives.
I have not been given an order number or tracking number though, I will chase that UP ( see what I did there?) after the bank holiday madness.
Mildly excited now :)
adam1uk
New
Drives: Polo SE

Post by adam1uk »

barrywi wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:47 pm Good News.
My dealer informs me that my GTI + begins its build on Monday May 28th after our order on Feb 10th. They will pay for the MOT on our trade in UP which is due at the end of this month, suggest we leave the service until they take the car in( we do minimal miles anyway) and that VW will honour the free years insurance if it was available on the order date. ( Which I think it was)
I will have to renew the insurance on the UP and see what arrangement I can make for a cancellation when the GTI arrives.
I have not been given an order number or tracking number though, I will chase that UP ( see what I did there?) after the bank holiday madness.
Mildly excited now :)
I had the free insurance with a new VW a few years ago — and I wouldn’t do it again. In my free year, someone hit me in a car park, and because I didn’t know who’d done it, it’s classed as a fault claim. The free insurance doesn’t allow you to protect your no claims bonus, so when the renewal came it was sky high, and I had to start again with another insurer. Because of that, I wouldn’t have free insurance if it was offered — I’d continue to arrange my own, and make sure my NCB was protected.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Good advice ,thank you.
Matfen
New
Drives: Scirocco

Post by Matfen »

I ordered mine on March 2nd and I haven't had a build date.

Went for the + in pearl black, 18" Brescias and Dual-zone climate control. So nothing really that should delay the delivery any significant amount.

I was told 26 weeks, although I was hoping for the start of August. Judging from you who've had your build date given already, am I expecting news soon, judging that it's been two and a bit months since I placed the order?

Cheers.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Going to knock on the dealers door this afternoon to see if I can get an order number or tracking number to go with the 28th May build date.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Saw the salesman and got an order number. He said the build date was now confirmed as 28 th May. Got home and went through the slightly turgid process of getting the VW app. The suggested build date on the VW main site was given as 4 th June, but we will see if the emailing system lets me know when the spanners come out to play. I am guesstimating a delivery sometime in August so very close to 68 reg. The dealer did say he thought mine may be one of the first GTIs they get in. He also said there is a bit of a delay between a build starting and it registering on the system.
Hopefully more to come later in the month. Almost excited now even if it is technically the missus's car.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

barrywi wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:20 pm Saw the salesman and got an order number. He said the build date was now confirmed as 28 th May. Got home and went through the slightly turgid process of getting the VW app. The suggested build date on the VW main site was given as 4 th June, but we will see if the emailing system lets me know when the spanners come out to play. I am guesstimating a delivery sometime in August so very close to 68 reg. The dealer did say he thought mine may be one of the first GTIs they get in. He also said there is a bit of a delay between a build starting and it registering on the system.
Hopefully more to come later in the month. Almost excited now even if it is technically the missus's car.
The online tracker says the 4th of June for mine too but its actually 28th May confirmed by live chat and the dealer.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Thanks for that.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The build week on the on-line tracker (when it’s actually working!) is pretty much always a week behind the build week that the dealer can see on their screen. Pretty sure it’s always been like that.
adam1uk
New
Drives: Polo SE

Post by adam1uk »

barrywi wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:20 pm Saw the salesman and got an order number. He said the build date was now confirmed as 28 th May. Got home and went through the slightly turgid process of getting the VW app. The suggested build date on the VW main site was given as 4 th June, but we will see if the emailing system lets me know when the spanners come out to play. I am guesstimating a delivery sometime in August so very close to 68 reg. The dealer did say he thought mine may be one of the first GTIs they get in. He also said there is a bit of a delay between a build starting and it registering on the system.
For me, the app/email gave me a build date but never told me that the build had started. The next update skipped forward to the car being in transit.