New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by barrywi »

There are two ships parked at the vw dock Lapis Arrow and Goodwood ,maybe one of those is going to Sheerness, I will keep an eye on them
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

@barrywi, your car should be coming in via Tyne Port, so keep checking for Emden port movements, you don't want to miss tracking that boat - and keep checking Tyne Port for arrivals or scheduled arrivals from Emden.

Edit:- or look out for boats transiting from Emden to Grimsby as it might then call into Tyne Port before returning to Emden?
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

My car is not built yet but will look for boats heading my way later, probably mid June if I am lucky.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Seanhendryyy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:22 pm My dealer confirmed that my Polo is on the Freedom Ace! He stated that it stops in Emden to have checks and then goes on an overnight ship to Sheerness
Seems odd to have checks in Emden. It’d be more efficient to check in SA. I wonder if it’s just cheaper to ship all European orders to Germany, then send some inland on transporters, and the rest by sea to Scandinavia and Blighty?
Seanhendryyy
New
Drives: R-Line - 2018

Post by Seanhendryyy »

Leif wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 pm
Seanhendryyy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:22 pm My dealer confirmed that my Polo is on the Freedom Ace! He stated that it stops in Emden to have checks and then goes on an overnight ship to Sheerness
Seems odd to have checks in Emden. It’d be more efficient to check in SA. I wonder if it’s just cheaper to ship all European orders to Germany, then send some inland on transporters, and the rest by sea to Scandinavia and Blighty?
When I asked my dealer the latest info because the tracker is quite vague, he contacted VW and found out the ship name and then passed me on the info. I started tracking it a couple of days ago on which it stated it was coming from Spain to Belgium and then looked yesterday on which it was going from Belgium to Germany. The car left SA on the 25th April so has had a few stops in between until it got to Germany
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

Hey Seanhendryyy, that makes 3 of us that I know have our cars on the same boat. It’s just arrived at Emdon.

Hopefully the turnaround won’t be long and we’ll all be happy very soon
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

barrywi wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:05 pm My car is not built yet but will look for boats heading my way later, probably mid June if I am lucky.
Oh, my mistake,I thought that your car was on the same boat to Emden!

You would practise tracking car transporter ships though to refine your skills for later on in the year?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

brainbow wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 pm Hey Seanhendryyy, that makes 3 of us that I know have our cars on the same boat. It’s just arrived at Emdon.

Hopefully the turnaround won’t be long and we’ll all be happy very soon
It is Emden, you will not find anything on marinemovements for Emdon!
brainbow
Bronze Member

Post by brainbow »

Haha. True. My bad for the typo.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Yes good fun seeing all those ships and trying to find the car transporters.Being retired I have plenty of time!
brainbow
Bronze Member

Post by brainbow »

Does anyone know how long the cars are at Emden before leaving for the UK?
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

At the dock where the ships arrive the street is called VW Strasse so maybe there is an inspection facility at the dock but not sure what the inspection time is. I assume once the Freedom Ace is emptied it will be filled with German made cars for Belgium , Spain and South Africa though they may not use the same boats all the time, there seem to be a lot of car transporters on the sea.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Take a look at Google Earth at Emden dock. There is a rail terminal and absolutely thousands of cars neatly parked in huge car parks. No wonder VW make so much money!
brainbow
Bronze Member

Post by brainbow »

I know. The VW faculty there is huge!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

It is also "Passat Land" and maybe CC by any other name!

Tip, don't make the mistake that I made and started trying to look around the oceans everywhere from Port Liz down round the Horn, these big transporter ships turn left after leaving Port Liz and head up to the Gulf area stopping off to unload some of their cargo before transiting through the Suez Canal and onwards to Spain before heading down to Belgium and then round to Emden.