New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by stevereeves »

George2702 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:07 pm So got in touch with my dealer this week ...

The car was ordered in the first week of March, with still no build week on the tracker. I spoke to various vw assistants, and compiled a list of reasons why my car was delayed, which i then relayed back to my dealer. He confirmed all the things discussed on this forum, and that my original 1st of September delivery won't happen. He's accepted to give me my £1000 deposit back, however ... they have a gti+ in identically spec to mine, but including pano roof and winter pack, arriving in July. I've said if they can honour it for the same price, i'll accept, but I've got to wait for him to discuss with his manager. Here's hoping!
I should blooming well think so, else I'd be tempted to 'grab my grand' back and walk. Has anyone thought of phoning different dealers just out of interest to see if delivery times vary, or if they have any cancelled orders, etc....
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Still hanging on to the chance that our car may start being built on Monday , week 22, but there is a lot of contradictory information about so it is difficult to know who to believe. Really bad PR for VW and the supposedly efficient Germans. Cant see how they make their trains run to time on this experience.
Compare this with the recent Royal wedding and the precision that it was done and the stunning TV coverage which put the rest of the world to shame. If only the UK could make a comparable car to the Polo GTI I would buy it.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

What is the delay time between your cars build week beginning and it appearing on the App as " Being built"?
My build week starts today 28 th.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Depends when in the week your car is getting built. If they start it on Thursday then your status should change on Thursday, or within 24 hours of build start, going by me previously stalking the progress of my last 2 VWs. You'll be stalking the shipping websites next, and wondering why the hell it can take between 2 days and 2 weeks for your car to even move from dockside after it has left the factory, and again when it leaves Wolfsburg following QC checks, with destination dependent on where the supplying dealership is. Tyne Dock is the usual destination for cars that are going to a dealership from Teesside and upwards, Grimsby for Midlands/Yorkshire/North West/Wales, Sheerness for the South. I knew all the ships supplying Tyne, and depending on the time of day, I could even see the ships coming in as our house overlooks the mouth of the Tyne. This time around i'm expecting Grimsby as the car is coming from Listers of Nuneaton and being trailered up to me.

My Golf R appeared to be in the factory for 2 weeks, but in reality a car build should be around 30 hours. I recently found out that a wheel I put in for refurb (painted Pretoria) had already been refurbed (and I've had the car from new), so it has been done at either the factory or post shipping/predelivery (the car was only at the dealers 36 hours before I collected it - they rushed it through as i'd waited 8 months for it) - maybe the 2 weeks at the factory was for remedial work.

At least with diamond cut rather than painted wheels, they are easier to see if they have been refurbed, so more likely to be replaced rather than repaired if they get clattered in transit.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Thanks for that information, I thought it was only me that was following every step and paused ready for potential ship tracking!
There is the Carmen (Swedish) car transporter on its way down to Port Elizabeth and due on the 6 th June. It seems stuck off the coast of Mauretania at the moment so either it has sunk or the ship tracker is a bit iffy. Of course there is no guarantee that Carmen is heading for Emden, could it go straight to the US or do all Polos have to go to Emden?
No indication that my car is being built yet but due this week so will keep looking.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

barrywi wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:31 pm Thanks for that information, I thought it was only me that was following every step and paused ready for potential ship tracking!
There is the Carmen (Swedish) car transporter on its way down to Port Elizabeth and due on the 6 th June. It seems stuck off the coast of Mauretania at the moment so either it has sunk or the ship tracker is a bit iffy. Of course there is no guarantee that Carmen is heading for Emden, could it go straight to the US or do all Polos have to go to Emden?
No indication that my car is being built yet but due this week so will keep looking.
Yea tracking the car can be interesting. I tried to predict what ship my car would be on, I had notification it was complete, there was a car carrier in at port eliz the next day I assumed my car was on that. tracked it a while then got notified a week later tat it was now on a different ship freedom ace. I tracked that ship and it took 21 days to get to Emden via Vigo Spain and a Belgium port. then the cat took a further 3 days to arrive in the uk (sheerness) vw had a QA unit there so my car sat for 10 days there apparently undergoing QA procedures. to be fair as soon as the car (day after) arrived in the uk I got a phone call from the dealer advising me of the reserved registration number. also got the reg form in the post a few days later. the dealer and I arranged a meet at the VW local to me me to sign all the agreements etc then a pick up date was agreed for this Friday.

All in all 4 months from order to receipt of car. if im honest not too bad. out of interest my dealer did tell me that no car built and delivered this side of 3 Aug can be a 68 reg EVERY car must be registered by 31 August 18 on an 18 plate. Something to do with not being compliant with the new emissions tests.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

mike sel wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:07 am
barrywi wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:31 pm Thanks for that information, I thought it was only me that was following every step and paused ready for potential ship tracking!
Yea tracking the car can be interesting. I tried to predict what ship my car would be on, I had notification it was complete, there was a car carrier in at port eliz the next day I assumed my car was on that. tracked it a while then got notified a week later tat it was now on a different ship freedom ace. I tracked that ship and it took 21 days to get to Emden via Vigo Spain and a Belgium port. then the cat took a further 3 days to arrive in the uk (sheerness) vw had a QA unit there so my car sat for 10 days there apparently undergoing QA procedures. to be fair as soon as the car (day after) arrived in the uk I got a phone call from the dealer advising me of the reserved registration number. also got the reg form in the post a few days later. the dealer and I arranged a meet at the VW local to me me to sign all the agreements etc then a pick up date was agreed for this Friday.

All in all 4 months from order to receipt of car. if im honest not too bad. out of interest my dealer did tell me that no car built and delivered this side of 3 Aug can be a 68 reg EVERY car must be registered by 31 August 18 on an 18 plate. Something to do with not being compliant with the new emissions tests.
Useful information, thankyou.
Obviously I am not yet sure when my car will be built but not too worried about it being 68 reg as we have got a private plate ready for it VW 14 JAN ...my wife Janet's car. If it is later we will keep the 68 plate until 19 reg comes out but do not really want to wait for the car too long.
The emission test info is interesting, I wonder if they are going to modify later cars for better emissions or maybe it is just that it is a paper exercise as mentioned in earlier posts.
Enjoy your car on Friday!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 am The emission test info is interesting, I wonder if they are going to modify later cars for better emissions or maybe it is just that it is a paper exercise as mentioned in earlier posts.
In this early YouTube video on the Autogefühl channel on the new Polo (link below), the presenter is interviewing the VW product manager for the Polo (from 24 min 40 sec). The product manager specifically mentions the fitment of particulate filters to petrol TSI engined Polos ‘from the middle of next year’ at 26 min 32 sec in the video. Pretty certain it was a late 2017 video, so ‘middle of next year’ would be mid-2018. So yes, based on the video content there will be a modification to later cars.

Video also mentions the introduction of a manual GTI at ‘approximately the end of next year’ (2018) at 25 min 55 sec.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkHiec0cZQ
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I would prefer not to have a particulate filter fitted anyway so I hope we get an earlier car. My Jaguar diesel has such a filter and can get blocked if the car is only used for short runs. Not sure if a petrol version could have the same problem.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I would prefer not to have a particulate filter fitted anyway so I hope we get an earlier car. My Jaguar diesel has such a filter and can get blocked if the car is only used for short runs. Not sure if a petrol version could have the same problem.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

barrywi wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 am I would prefer not to have a particulate filter fitted anyway so I hope we get an earlier car. My Jaguar diesel has such a filter and can get blocked if the car is only used for short runs. Not sure if a petrol version could have the same problem.
I believe that the petrol version runs at a higher temperature so does not suffer from the clogging effect that is prone on the diesels.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

barrywi wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:48 pm What is the delay time between your cars build week beginning and it appearing on the App as " Being built"?
My build week starts today 28 th.
My Build week was last week. Week commencing 21st. I have had confirmation from Customer Services that the car has been built and is on its way to the port of exit. I found this out by contacting VW Customer Services on the live chat and quoting the order number. The App still says Step 3. Build Week Confirmed. Seems that the App. can lag reality..
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Yes just checked our order on the 10 th Feb via the live chat and it has confirmed a build date stsrting 4 th June, a week later than they said but maybe early enough to get on the Swedish ship Carmen which should get to Port Elizabeth on the 6 th June, assuming that ship is heading for Emden. It takes a few days to load up so will depend on how many built Polos are on the dock already.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

barrywi wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 am
mike sel wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:07 am

Useful information, thankyou.
Obviously I am not yet sure when my car will be built but not too worried about it being 68 reg as we have got a private plate ready for it VW 14 JAN ...my wife Janet's car. If it is later we will keep the 68 plate until 19 reg comes out but do not really want to wait for the car too long.
The emission test info is interesting, I wonder if they are going to modify later cars for better emissions or maybe it is just that it is a paper exercise as mentioned in earlier posts.
Enjoy your car on Friday!
Again from my VW dealer same chat as before. He says VW and therefore I assume the industry are moving towards proving cars (say our polos) with every extra as standard, LEDs, Sunroof, Sat nav, etc etc and we will pay a base rate for the car then pay for the use of the extras. so for example if we want to use the sunroof this month we will use the app to order that item for the month and VW will charge a fee. Very similar to thy way we now pay for our TVS. he say in the next 10 years we will suddenly realise car ownership is a thing of the past and we will use our cars like Sky or cable. So if I want the car for a journey then I will pay the per mile fee, VW will send a signal to the car and it will work for that journey only. I assume coupled to the satnav and location devices. it would be possible for you to share the car with next door or even the street.

I personally am not looking forward to that. ITS my car and mine alone No other driver no way no how. I assume there will still b options to purchase a car of our own.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Mike, the subscription theory would only work with cars bought on lease deals, those bought outright for cash would be free from those ties.

I spoke to my dealer at the weekend who stated the obvious, dealers are having a nightmare with Gti’s ordered, they confirmed that despite the initial estimate of delivery by the end of June, I’m unlikely to see it in June or July, I expressed my concerns about delays. And that I’m considering cancelling the order, and said I’ve got the 4yr service coming up at the end of July on my current 2010 6R tdi (major service + cambelt), their response was to say “speak to us closer to the date and we’ll look after it.
From the conversation with the dealer they appear to know less that I do about the manufacturing delays and spec changes.