Polo struggling to start

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
kerby
New
Drives: SE

Polo struggling to start

Post by kerby »

Picked up my 2018 Polo SE 95ps a few days ago. Since I picked the car up from the dealership every time I try to start it from cold (after sitting a good 8+ hours) it really seems to struggle to start. The engine will turn over 5-6 times before it comes to life.

Is this normal for a new car? It's only got ~150 miles on it. I'm not sure if this is something that will get better once it's worn in or if I should call my dealer for a checkup.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo struggling to start

Post by RUM4MO »

You are keeping your foot off the throttle pedal?

Starting should be almost instantaneous.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Take it back to the dealer - if its brand new, it definitely shouldnt be doing that.
kerby
New

Post by kerby »

Foot is not on throttle. Just holding down the clutch.

I did originally think it might have something to do with my dashcam plugged into the 6v socket but have since removed that for 24 hours and tried it with no difference.

Who would I call at VW to arrange a look at this. Is there typically a after sales department or would I go straight through to the servicing/repair department? I don't really want to have to pay for anything to be fixed on this since I only bought it a few days ago.
kerby
New

Post by kerby »

The only other thing I can think of is I refuelled last with standard unleaded fuel as the pump I was at didn't have anything else available. I think the cap says to use super unleaded 95.

Could this be effecting it?
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

kerby wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:06 am The only other thing I can think of is I refuelled last with standard unleaded fuel as the pump I was at didn't have anything else available. I think the cap says to use super unleaded 95.

Could this be effecting it?
No standard 95 RON will be fine. You have a 3 year warranty on the car so it shouldn't cost you a penny to get whatever is wrong, fixed.
kerby
New

Post by kerby »

Ah ok. Yes that makes sense based on what I just read. Just came from owning a diesel for many many years so not familiar with the petrol types.

I'll give it a couple more days and see if it improves. If not I'll give VW a call. I would imagine it's a hard thing to test for if it only happens on a cold start.

Thank you
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

kerby wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 am Ah ok. Yes that makes sense based on what I just read. Just came from owning a diesel for many many years so not familiar with the petrol types.

I'll give it a couple more days and see if it improves. If not I'll give VW a call. I would imagine it's a hard thing to test for if it only happens on a cold start.

Thank you
They may want to keep your car overnight so they can start it from cold first thing in the morning. If they do want to keep it overnight and you need a courtesy car, some dealers don’t always have spare courtesy cars available at short notice.

If they say they don’t have a courtesy car available, then speak to the salesperson you dealt with when you bought the car. They should be looking after you and ensuring you’re completely satisfied with your car, especially as you only took delivery a few days ago.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

SRGTD wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:32 pm snip snip ----
If they say they don’t have a courtesy car available, then speak to the salesperson you dealt with when you bought the car. They should be looking after you and ensuring you’re completely satisfied with your car, especially as you only took delivery a few days ago.
That is the correct approach, some thing is not right and you have just been sold it, courtesy car right away, your salesman/woman can always use the bus or cycle!

Remember to let them know that it has been like that every since you took ownership - ie unless you have been very very unlucky, someone at that dealership knew about that before it was handed over.

Edit:- as said already, that just should not be happening, you are allowed to have steam coming out of your ears if you encounter anything other than complete acceptance of them not being too clever handing that car over in that condition.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Yeah take it back have dealer fix it. And get a loan car so then A) you're not stuck for transport and B) you have some bargaining power just in case they haven't / couldn't fix it and / or need to keep it a few days. Very likely they will fix it straight away but dealers have been known to leave new car owners using the bus, while salespersons take demo cars home for the weekend. Hope it works out ok....
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I took mine in when the front wipers failed during torrential rain. :shock: Anyway, they gave me a loaner, and booked it in for the next available workshop slot which was 3 days away. They are busy. So pretty good service, hopefully they’ll treat you well too. I find VW dealers better than most.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Leif wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 am I took mine in when the front wipers failed during torrential rain. :shock: Anyway, they gave me a loaner, and booked it in for the next available workshop slot which was 3 days away. They are busy. So pretty good service, hopefully they’ll treat you well too. I find VW dealers better than most.
Speaking as I find, this is mostly true....