New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by MattHGR »

Could you confirm what is missing from the winter pack ?
It was supposed to have washer fluid indicator, heated washer jets, heated seats and headlight washers right ?

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

No headlampwashers or heated jets. VW should give you a discount!
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

Mine was supposed to be delivered tomorrow however... Got a call to say a warning light has come on during checks something to do with earthing? So they need to disconnect the battery for a while then if that solves it, has to be checked by a warranty technician. So no car tomorrow and they are offering me a loan/hire car meanwhile. Great start!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Have they removed the snakes, spiders and Somali refugees from the boot yet. Mine just going in to prep . Probably tomorrow now
dtw
New
Drives: GTi

Post by dtw »

I received a call from the dealer to advise that my car has been delivered. I'm supposed to collect it tomorrow.

For some reason, it's arrived with the 17" Parker alloys, despite it being sold to me as having the 18" Brescia.

I've told the dealer I'm not prepared to accept it with the 17" alloys, so it looks like I'm going to lose the car. The dealer is calling me back tomorrow once he's spoken to his boss. I'm not holding my breath for a positive outcome.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I would buy it if I was you, they are in short supply and you will have a long wait for a new one to be made. You could always swap the wheels later, if they give you some compensation for the wrong wheels. Did you order it a while ago or was it from stock?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

dtw wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:15 pm I received a call from the dealer to advise that my car has been delivered. I'm supposed to collect it tomorrow.

For some reason, it's arrived with the 17" Parker alloys, despite it being sold to me as having the 18" Brescia.

I've told the dealer I'm not prepared to accept it with the 17" alloys, so it looks like I'm going to lose the car. The dealer is calling me back tomorrow once he's spoken to his boss. I'm not holding my breath for a positive outcome.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.
That’s really annoying. It would be interesting to know if the dealer made an error when they placed the order with the factory or if the car was mis-built by factory. If you do decide to reject it, the dealer knows they’ll have no problems finding a buyer for it, so they’re in quite a strong position.

I agree with barrywi - I would take the car on the understanding that the dealer works with you to achieve an outcome that you’re happy with. If you take delivery of the car, the two options appear to be;
  • The dealer lets you take delivery of the car with the Parker alloys and they order a set of Brescia alloys at no cost to you (the price you agreed for the car already includes Brescia alloys), fit them with tyres of your choice and then swap the wheels over when they get the Brescia’s delivered.
Or
  • You accept the car with the Parker alloys, with a refund of the cost paid for the Brescia alloys, plus compensation for the car not being as specced - I’d try for 3 years free servicing, £x worth of VW accessories etc. When you see the car, you may decide it looks OK with the Parker alloys.
Good luck. Please update us with the outcome.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

As alloy options go, Brescias are quite cheap (compared to 19" Pretorias) and can be had via a German website selling genuine VW parts, a set of 4 Brescias comes in at about £1000. Add tyres at £110 a pop and you're about £1450 out, I'd settle for a £1000 discount to buy my own, sell the 17" tyres, and you have a set of 17" winters. Or i'd be after my £350 back + £500 - those Austins are quite ugly compared to the Brescias IMO.

Of course, the dealership knows that someone will snatch their hand off to buy our car without queueing and a price rise since you ordered makes the car look a bargain now.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Parkers , stupid name but better ride, easier to clean and the grip difference will only be noticed on a track, if at all. It is just the looks you are paying for and I may be in a minority but quite like the Parkers. Grab the car now
dtw
New
Drives: GTi

Post by dtw »

Thanks for the replies. You've all said what I'm already thinking. I'll probably take it but it's left a bit of a sour taste.

By way of some background, I've been planning on buying the new GTi for months now. I wasn't in the position to do so until a few weeks ago. Went to the dealer with the spec I wanted to order and he informed me of the ridiculous waiting times. He then told me I could have one of the pre specced cars which were already on their way to the UK.

I'd wanted a red plus with 18" alloys and a couple of other extras like climate control. There were a handful of plus models available, however, all had for some reason been specced with 17" wheels. There was a red non plus available with no options other than the 18" alloys. I decided that I was willing to forego the interior comforts, LEDs etc as long as it looked the part on the exterior.

I ordered said car and I've been chasing the dealer for updates on when it'd be delivered ever since. Information from the dealer was limited until he advised me at the start of this week that the car would be ready for collection on Friday (tomorrow).

At 7:30pm this evening, the dealer phoned to say that he's just seen my car and it doesn't have the 18" alloys which the car I'd ordered specifically said were fitted. The cost of the upgraded alloys was also on my invoice.

The reason he gave for the "mistake" was that the car had originally been ordered from the factory with 18" Brescias. Then, apparently, the order was cancelled and the car was reordered by VW UK (I guess) without the upgraded alloys. Their system hadn't been updated to reflect this change in spec. Sounds plausible I suppose, but nonetheless, not my error.

Anyway, the dealer says he'll have a word with his boss and call me tomorrow. As we all know, the dealer will easily sell the car if I withdraw my order. I also know I'll struggle to get another any time soon and I don't fancy any of the alternatives. I guess I've just talked myself into taking the car.

I've already suggested to the dealer that they source from VW a set of 18" Brescias and swap them. This doesn't seem an unreasonable request but given the customer service I've received so far, I'm not holding my breath.

Apologies for the long post. Hope you all have a better experience when your cars arrive.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:32 pm Not an accident involving a car transporter?
A fridge truck had a blowout causing it to crash into a bridge, the driver survived but the bridge will have to be demolished as there’s a massive crack in one of the beams. That section on motorway is going to be closed for some time
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:32 pm Not an accident involving a car transporter?
A fridge truck had a blowout causing it to crash into a bridge, the driver survived but the bridge will have to be demolished as there’s a massive crack in one of the beams. That section on motorway is going to be closed for some time
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Spoke to my saleswoman yesterday. She won't set eyes on the car as it is in a central prep facility for the Listers group and will be despatched from there. So sge can't tell me what tyres the car will have on it.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 pm As alloy options go, Brescias are quite cheap (compared to 19" Pretorias) and can be had via a German website selling genuine VW parts, a set of 4 Brescias comes in at about £1000. Add tyres at £110 a pop and you're about £1450 out, I'd settle for a £1000 discount to buy my own, sell the 17" tyres, and you have a set of 17" winters. Or i'd be after my £350 back + £500 - those Austins are quite ugly compared to the Brescias IMO.
That is not a stupid idea! Keep the 18" for summer, though getting proper money for any tyres that have been fitted to wheels is not easy.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Nora wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:13 am
That was just a tongue in cheek comment by me as a wind up, so a fridge truck that is a bummer as some where has lost its perishable foods delivery.