Raise the limit( not the Titanic)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Raise the limit( not the Titanic)

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:23 pm
Leif wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Can I suggest you read what I posted as I was referring to "The average speed cameras on the A9 in Scotland". And I quite clearly said "In the case referred to the drop is almost certainly due largely to the speed cameras as it occurred over a few years." You are confusing the A9 and overall speed camera use and statistics.
So you did, my mistake.
Thanks. I do have sympathy with your views on speed cameras, some are just money collectors, but not all. Depends on the area. Poor areas are worst IMO.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

They could always bring back the 'red flag act'. Problem solved!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:46 pm It's a shame you can't express your viewpoint without resorting to personal abuse. Seems to be a habit for you. :roll:
For your information I have never had any points on my licence. Ever.
Clearly, when I said "you're an idiot" I was aiming it at dullards that cross into bus lanes.
Not 'you'
In future I will use term 'one' to avoid confusion.
Quicksilver
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTi DSG

Post by Quicksilver »

May I suggest joining and supporting The Alliance of British Drivers who campaign for a more balanced and sensible view to speed limits and other road safety matters
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Quicksilver wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 pm May I suggest joining and supporting The Alliance of British Drivers who campaign for a more balanced and sensible view to speed limits and other road safety matters
I’d rather not thanks. Their aims are to increase road spending, and reduce road taxes. No mention of how we’d pay for that. Guess they don’t care about policing, schools, prisons, health services, consumer protection, etc etc etc. You might as well campaign for better council services and lower council taxes, just as pointless.
antz81
New
Drives: 2018 1.0TSI 5spd

Post by antz81 »

I would still rather have UK speed limits than NZ limits. Almost all motorways here have a speed limit of 100KPH (62MPH). Most of the time you will be ticketed if you exceed 110KPH (68MPH). Over Christmas and new years, or around any other time where there is a bank holiday they will ticket you for doing more than 104KPH (64MPH). While here it is illegal to sit in the right hand lane unless passing it is rarely enforced; luckily we are allowed to pass on the left but it would be better if slow vehicles kept left. Trucks (Lorries) are limited to 90KPH (55MPH) but can use the right hand lane.

I did enjoy being in the USA, spent some time driving on the long island expressway. Speed limit was 55MPH. Most people do 75MPH. Police don't mind. Spoke to some local police and was told that they will only ticket you over 75MPH, but if you're doing 55MPH they would check that you are not drunk or trying to avoid them for some reason. Was also told they are taught to let some thing go like running red lights late at night so long as they can see that the driver was paying attention. (stopping first to check that it was clear)
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

'Safety. In 2014, autobahns carried 31% of motorized road traffic while accounting for 11% of Germany's traffic deaths. The autobahn fatality rate of 1.6 deaths per billion travel-kilometres compared favorably with the 4.6 rate on urban streets and 6.5 rate on rural roads.'
The Germans can be trusted to have unrestricted motorway speeds for most of the time and the design of them allows it. Unfortunately the average brit is too neanderthal to be allowed similar. We need more nannying.

barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Reported that Germany is now considering a blanket 80 mph speed limit.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

barrywi wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:40 am Reported that Germany is now considering a blanket 80 mph speed limit.
No wonder German blankets get to the beach before the rest of us.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

:D :D
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

I said a few years ago that it will be labelled an environmental crime to speed.
GTI's will be consigned to history. As more and more road networks are monitored there will be no point having a fast car. It'll become more important to get more miles out of a car than mph.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:28 pm I said a few years ago that it will be labelled an environmental crime to speed.
GTI's will be consigned to history. As more and more road networks are monitored there will be no point having a fast car. It'll become more important to get more miles out of a car than mph.
Don't know how old you are, but I turned 52 last weekend.
I've had sporty cars since I was 17, from Ford RS's through umpteen Golf Gtis and BMW Alpinas.
Cars and driving bore the crap out of now, they're merely a means of getting from A to B, not helped by roads that are just busy all the time now....all the time....
Far from lamenting driving, the thought of just jumping in a 'pod' and being taken to my destination is brilliant. :)
Just imagine cars all being driven to the same standard, instead of the utter shambles driving is just now?
God....bring it on. 8)
I get my kicks on motorbikes on tracks, long past getting any kicks on the road.
Car drivers can, of course, do the same.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I tend to think fast cars are worse than pointless. They are often lower so have difficulties with speed bumps. They have hard suspension. You can't drive fast anyway. They cost more to insure and run. Give me a nice armchair on soft wheels, a decent stereo, and some lovely countryside to drive through, nice.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:56 pm You can't drive fast anyway.
To illustrate how right this is, I live near the Cairngorms.
Used to be 'one' could get up on a summer Sunday morning and go for a mental thrash on the motorbikes, barely seeing another car through the hills.
No such luck these days, even early mornings have cars everywhere.
So just as frustrating and dangerous as any other time of day, perhaps more so given that some of the car drivers out at that time are still hungover from the night before. :roll:
That's rural Scotland for you... :(
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:28 pm I said a few years ago that it will be labelled an environmental crime to speed.

It's handy for me to have a fast car on my commute - breaking the motorway rule of entering and exiting the motorway on the left (not sure how many other anomalies like this there are in the country), the A1058 Coast road at Newcastle ends in its juncture with the A167(M).

So at the end of the A1058 (a 30mph road), you have a short 90 degree bending slip road spilling out onto the right-hand lane of the A167(M) northbound (70 mph road). It's handy to be at 70mph at the end of that bend to merge with people doing 70-80mph. If behind a toodler doing 30-40 at merge, there's room to overtake them and avoid the carnage of them planting themself straight in the path of a car coming up at them doing 30mph more than them.

Stupid road design.