1.2tsi shudder/cough/stumble under acceleration, help :)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
pontiff
New
Drives: 2010 6r Polo 1.2 TSI

1.2tsi shudder/cough/stumble under acceleration, help :)

Post by pontiff »

hi all,

First off. Hi... I'm new here, but have had polos for many years (I ended up fixing and giving away over 10 6N polos over the years) but now I have a lovely 6r 1.2tsi which i love having done 192,000 kms (120,000 miles)

Problem though.... under acceleration say < 3k in gears 2-6 (its a manual) I get this shunting / driveline knocking.

I have replaced the spark plugs and HT leads (many times) to no avail.

If I clear the adaptions from the ECU via my vagcom the problem momentarily goes away until it creeps back again which leads me to believe its a sensor. So far I have also checked

- No faults logged in DME
- O2 Sensor A/F ratio as looked at via OBD appear to be okay, in so much as what the engine requests the AF ratio to be, is what it is close enough as measured by the O2 sensor.
- Knock sensor is not triggering\
- No misfire codes detected.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It feels like its 'coughing' like its either getting too much or not enough fuel and stumbling.

Cheers,
Aaron from Australia
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Re: 1.2tsi shudder/cough/stumble under acceleration, help :)

Post by blackertracker »

Could be a camchain or tensioner problem. I think 2010 1.2 TSI had camchains and at 120k miles I’d have it checked. VW had quality issues with a batch of chains that were wearing prematurely. I think they also had design issues with the tensioner.
benzinkopf
Gold Member
Drives: 1.2TSI 105HP DSG7

Post by benzinkopf »

have a look at your ignition transformer/coil that serve the power to your ignition cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pontiff
New

Post by pontiff »

blackertracker wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm Could be a camchain or tensioner problem. I think 2010 1.2 TSI had camchains and at 120k miles I’d have it checked. VW had quality issues with a batch of chains that were wearing prematurely. I think they also had design issues with the tensioner.
Correct... I have had mine changed (twice actually) :)
blackertracker
Bronze Member

Post by blackertracker »

pontiff wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:09 pm
blackertracker wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm Could be a camchain or tensioner problem. I think 2010 1.2 TSI had camchains and at 120k miles I’d have it checked. VW had quality issues with a batch of chains that were wearing prematurely. I think they also had design issues with the tensioner.
Correct... I have had mine changed (twice actually) :)
Good man! I really liked that engine when I test drove one years back. I always try and get a camchain engine if possible, just a shame VW skimped on parts quality for a while. I currently have a camchain 6C Polo GTI with no issues.
blackertracker
Bronze Member

Post by blackertracker »

In that case have you checked the coil pack? Does it have 4 x coil over plug or 1 coil pack?

I had a similar issue on our Golf 2.0 Mk4. I checked the engine at night, spraying some water on the coil pack and saw sparking as it was cracked. Changed it and fixed the problem.
blackertracker
Bronze Member

Post by blackertracker »

Check your engine mounts too maybe if it’s a shunting/knocking noise under acceleration/gear changes.
I fixed a Hyundai i10 recently which had this and it was just the lower engine/gearbox mount loose.
pontiff
New

Post by pontiff »

blackertracker wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:20 pm In that case have you checked the coil pack? Does it have 4 x coil over plug or 1 coil pack?

I had a similar issue on our Golf 2.0 Mk4. I checked the engine at night, spraying some water on the coil pack and saw sparking as it was cracked. Changed it and fixed the problem.
Im not sure what the cbzb 1.2tsi has, i want to say a single one (I think)... ill check tonight :)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If I was a guessing man, I'd think that that car has a single coil unit with 4 O/Ps which is why you have reported replacing the HT leads already, the belt driven engines were the ones that got COP - ie Coil On Plug, ie individual coils.
pontiff
New

Post by pontiff »

Yeah, they are a single coil, i checked. I Reset the adaptions and it still does it, so that was not it. Its pretty bad now, anything more than say 30% throttle under 3k and it throw a fit. Checked vagcom again today, no misfires being reported, nothing. Very annoying.

Is there a way to check the coil when its an intermittent fault like this one? I.E I cannot make it fault while sitting idle?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The trouble might be that if it is the coil pack, then it might not be failing frequently enough to log a misfire fault code. At idle the cylinder pressures are lower so that could be, if it is the coil pack, why it is stable/steady at idle - ie if the coil pack output is low or the coil is otherwise potentially faulty, then it is under less stress at idle revs.
blackertracker
Bronze Member

Post by blackertracker »

pontiff wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:19 am Yeah, they are a single coil, i checked. I Reset the adaptions and it still does it, so that was not it. Its pretty bad now, anything more than say 30% throttle under 3k and it throw a fit. Checked vagcom again today, no misfires being reported, nothing. Very annoying.

Is there a way to check the coil when its an intermittent fault like this one? I.E I cannot make it fault while sitting idle?

Like I suggested, at night spray some water on the coil pack then start the engine. You’ll see sparks if it’s leaking current. It’s a really easy check to do.
pontiff
New

Post by pontiff »

Cool, I will do that, thanks
jonessa
New
Drives: A white one

Post by jonessa »

Hi - i'm suffering from the same issue. Was it definitely the coils?

Thanks
SamEvans
New
Drives: GTI 6C 3Dr

Re: 1.2tsi shudder/cough/stumble under acceleration, help [emoji3]

Post by SamEvans »

I had a polo 6R 1.2 TSI. Felt almost like a misfire or clutch slipping. Changed the spark plugs and leads....it was a new car again.
Not sure if you’ve tried this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk