18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by monkeyhanger »

I keep thinking about ditching my tyres, but they're not bad enough to compel me. After a mile's warm up they aren't bad for grip on the move, but still awful for tramping.

VWs decision to fit 215/40 R18 is probably based on squeezing the economy rating to the max rather than going for the far more common (and far cheaper at retail) 225/40 R18.

That's problematic because hardly anyone else runs that size, making your resale scope quite narrow. Also, the clearance at the rear nearside wheel to wheel arch lining with the petrol filler tank around there looks to be tiny to accomodate the marginally wider tyre.

If I do go for it, Costco have the excellent Michelin PS4 in 225/40 R18 92XL at £98 a corner, fitted. There's always a redemption offer around the corner too for Michelins at Costco- buy 4 tyres and get £80 off etc.The protection lip on them looks huge next to the Turanzas, making width an even bigger concern for clearance from the wheel arch lining.

I think i'd have to put 10 or 15mm spacers on the back wheels - easy enough, except ive yet to find a suitable set that come with a locking nut for each set of elongated wheel nuts. The 215/40R18 are about £150 each.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

My first experience of Falkens was their excellent FK452 on my Alpina BMW.
Bought to replace awful OE Michelin Pilot Sports.
Transformed the car from a wheelspinning mess to nice and grippy, for half the price.
That was 7-8 years ago mind.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

I was unhappy with the factory fitted tyres, and I was ready to change them at the first sign of letting me down. However I have to say the tyres as fitted have proved fine from a safety point of view, I have never for a split second felt them less than capable. Had I done so I would have changed them out at once. I am concerned about the wear im getting I really do not want to go much below 3mm before changing them. So I am likely going to change to My preferred tyre on all 4 corners sometime in the next 3/4 months.

As tyres change all the time new ones come out etc, Any suggestions??, quiet, economic good grip in dry and wet, then long wearing??
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

mike sel wrote:I was unhappy with the factory fitted tyres, and I was ready to change them at the first sign of letting me down. However I have to say the tyres as fitted have proved fine from a safety point of view, I have never for a split second felt them less than capable. Had I done so I would have changed them out at once. I am concerned about the wear im getting I really do not want to go much below 3mm before changing them. So I am likely going to change to My preferred tyre on all 4 corners sometime in the next 3/4 months.

As tyres change all the time new ones come out etc, Any suggestions??, quiet, economic good grip in dry and wet, then long wearing??
I was looking at all seasons.. seems continental got the best overall, closely followed by Michelin cross climate. If you google all season tyres you'll see a comparison of 5-10 and the pros and cons of both. May be helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

mike sel wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 pm I was unhappy with the factory fitted tyres, and I was ready to change them at the first sign of letting me down. However I have to say the tyres as fitted have proved fine from a safety point of view, I have never for a split second felt them less than capable. Had I done so I would have changed them out at once. I am concerned about the wear im getting I really do not want to go much below 3mm before changing them. So I am likely going to change to My preferred tyre on all 4 corners sometime in the next 3/4 months.

Michelin CrossClimate, hands down.
Don’t mix all weather or winter tyres with summer tyres across axles, not a good idea.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Whats the thoughts on tyre availability after we leave the EU ? do we change now and keep the part used set at home for future use or do we simply rely on normal tyre availability?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

mike sel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:40 am Whats the thoughts on tyre availability after we leave the EU ? do we change now and keep the part used set at home for future use or do we simply rely on normal tyre availability?
Are you thinking tyre supply is going to be a problem?
The great tyre shortage of 2019? :)
if you're that worried, buy Avon tyres.
They're as good as anything out there and although the company is now American owned (Cooper tyres), they are still made in Britain.
Of course, some other brands are made in the UK.
Michelin's plant in Dundee, for example.
Shame it's about to close, but that's because they lumbered it with making small tyres that simply aren't selling (the biggest they made is 16")
17"-19" are now the market norm.
Personally speaking, I'd love it if there was a tyre shortage and Brexiteers were crashing. :twisted:
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Get independence, and Scotland can stay in the EU 8)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am Get independence, and Scotland can stay in the EU 8)
I would rather stay part of the union and part of the EU.
But if independence is what it takes, so be it.
Vessels full of tyres coming into Grangemouth with no customs issues....luxury....
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Trouble is, the tyre carrying vessels will have a job getting into port trying to weave through all the European fishing boats, as they will only able to fish in Scottish waters :lol:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:07 pm Trouble is, the tyre carrying vessels will have a job getting into port trying to weave through all the European fishing boats, as they will only able to fish in Scottish waters :lol:
Of course Brexiteers should really only consider British made tyres.
it's what it's all about, being British and not wanting anything to do with 'Johnny Foreigner'.
Shouldn't even entertain a VW, should be Minis and Sunderland built Nissans only.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm
silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:07 pm Trouble is, the tyre carrying vessels will have a job getting into port trying to weave through all the European fishing boats, as they will only able to fish in Scottish waters :lol:
it's what it's all about, being British and not wanting anything to do with 'Johnny Foreigner'.
Shouldn't even entertain a VW, should be Minis and Sunderland built Nissans only.
Most every one I know, a lot of whom voted out, are happy to have people form all over the world join us here in the UK. Most feel that we would rather control the numbers and skills of the people that come, just like most other Nations in the word do. So that we can plan housing, and services for them, Its logical and practical. At the moment we have our dear friends from all over Europe just arrive in an unplanned way putting a strain on services and jobs, that is not logical or practical, especially in a country made up of a collection of islands with limited space.

I am sure quality tyres are made all over the world and I for one will be happy to purchase a quality proven tyre where ever it is made. Same with cars, we have many good cars manufactured from other areas of the world other than Europe that will more than replace German, French & Italian cars. I for instance purchased a car made all over Europe and assembled in South Africa.. where did your Polo come form?

As for Independence of the UK from the EU or Scotland from the UK , whatever the majority want is OK by me. I am a democrat before I am anything.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm
What a pile of bigoted nonsense. :cry:

I’m sure you lock your front door when you go out for the day. Does that mean you hate your neighbours? Of course not. You just don’t want all and sundry wandering around your home. Silly crass views as expressed above make me angry. People should respect both sides of the argument, even if they disagree.

Anyway, I wouldn’t buy Mini (impractical) or Nissan (mediocre French reliability). I’ll stick with me Polo thank you very much me ol’ mucker.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:58 pm
What a pile of bigoted nonsense. :cry:

Bigotted against Brexiteers?
There's irony for you. :lol:
Last edited by Andy Beats on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

mike sel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 pm
Most every one I know, a lot of whom voted out, are happy to have people form all over the world join us here in the UK. Most feel that we would rather control the numbers and skills of the people that come, just like most other Nations in the word do. So that we can plan housing, and services for them, Its logical and practical. At the moment we have our dear friends from all over Europe just arrive in an unplanned way putting a strain on services and jobs, that is not logical or practical, especially in a country made up of a collection of islands with limited space.

Limited space....do you know less than 10% of the UK is developed?
As for putting a strain on services, it's been proven time and time again that immigrants contribute far more to the British system than they take.
Dear oh dear, I can almost see the face you pulled when you typed 'dear friends...' :(