Polo AW Photo Gallery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Re: Polo AW Photo Gallery

Post by peeceeuk »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:03 pm Silver Jogons ordered for $53 after first order Aliexpress voucher - about £41 + forex transaction my Amex will charge.
Think I might have been looking at the same ones.
Let me know how you get on with them.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

The VW red is more of an orangey red, not a rich red. Is it one of the basic colours you don't have to pay extra for?
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

peter007 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:38 pm Hi guys! Flash red GTI picked up today :D already got GTI key cover as first accessory :)

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
Nice one Peter :) Congrats :)
When did you order yours?
I ordered mine on 28th of January 2018.... still waiting...
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 am The VW red is more of an orangey red, not a rich red. Is it one of the basic colours you don't have to pay extra for?
Depends on which model in the Polo range you go for. Flash Red is the free colour on Beats, GTI and GTI+ models. You pay an extra £345 to have Flash Red on S, SE, SEL and R-Line models (Urano Grey is the free colour on these models).
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:05 pm
silverhairs wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 am The VW red is more of an orangey red, not a rich red. Is it one of the basic colours you don't have to pay extra for?
Depends on which model in the Polo range you go for. Flash Red is the free colour on Beats, GTI and GTI+ models. You pay an extra £345 to have Flash Red on S, SE, SEL and R-Line models (Urano Grey is the free colour on these models).
Which just goes to show that paint is a rip-off with no justified basis for orice when a colour costs or doesn't cost depending what trim on the same model and body style you go for.

On the Golf performance models, pure white is free and Tornado Red (both solid colours) costs.

They have to offer one free colour, but they usually make sure it's not a popular one.

Now that solid colours get a clear coat, there's nothing but a pinch of powdered aluminium or mica in the paint on metallics or pearlescents to justify charging nearly £600 more than the one free solid colour they provide.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:40 pm
SRGTD wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:05 pm
Which just goes to show that paint is a rip-off with no justified basis for orice when a colour costs or doesn't cost depending what trim on the same model and body style you go for.

On the Golf performance models, pure white is free and Tornado Red (both solid colours) costs.

They have to offer one free colour, but they usually make sure it's not a popular one.

Now that solid colours get a clear coat, there's nothing but a pinch of powdered aluminium or mica in the paint on metallics or pearlescents to justify charging nearly £600 more than the one free solid colour they provide.
Totally agree it’s a rip off. I can remember when most manufacturers offered all the solid (non-metallic / non pearlescent) colours as no cost options.

My colour of Polo GTI+ next year is likely to be either be the free Flash Red or I may pay be prepared to pay £345 extra for Pure White. Highly unlikely I’ll be paying £570 for a few grams of powdered aluminium or mica to get a metallic or pearlescent paint colour this time round though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ the colour palette is crap for the GTI:-

Really like Red, goes well with the exterior GTI specific embellishments.

I really like black cars, but I didn't feel the Polo shape suited black (we have a black SE a few streets away - it's the side profile that doesn't look good in black to me.

I'm not keen on white cars but the exterior GTI bits suit it, it's the contrast, it was my second favourite GTI colour for the Polo, hence my wife is getting a white one.

I like the reef blue, a bit dark as blues go (love my Lapis golf R and a while back my old Rising Blue Scirocco. The local dealership had a blue GTI+, but it just didn't gel with me as a GTI colour.

Limestone Grey - not a fan. 90% of the time it is that "greige" shade of old style hearing aids. In overcast conditions it takes on a proper moody grey, which I like, it doesn't look like that often enough for me.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Originally chose Pure White for my GTI but was then offered a Pure White/Black GTI+. Looking at the pictures on the Configurator and I think it looks great. Sure it's going to be stinking within a couple of weeks though!

Red would have been my second choice.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:56 pm ^ the colour palette is crap for the GTI:-

As the GTI decals are red, I think the red paint completely hides them.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

fletch555 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:11 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:56 pm ^ the colour palette is crap for the GTI:-

As the GTI decals are red, I think the red paint completely hides them.
It's the red (or pure white) contrast with the black grilles/mouldings that I like. The Red filled GTI badge does almost look invisible on the car though.
PoloAU
New
Drives: GTI 2019

Post by PoloAU »

Hi All,

Excited to join you all in the Polo forums.

I just snagged a MY2019 Polo GTI AW over the weekend, and been loving it.
Polo GTI.png
As this is my first Volkswagen car, I was wondering if the undercarriage of my Polo looked normal to you all? I just had a look under the car, as I was removing rocks from the tyres and noticed the undercarriage is made of this soft egg carton like material.
Under Polo.jpg
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

PoloAU wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:46 am Hi All,

Excited to join you all in the Polo forums.

I just snagged a MY2019 Polo GTI AW over the weekend, and been loving it.

Polo GTI.png

As this is my first Volkswagen car, I was wondering if the undercarriage of my Polo looked normal to you all? I just had a look under the car, as I was removing rocks from the tyres and noticed the undercarriage is made of this soft egg carton like material.
Under Polo.jpg
Congratulations on your new car. The metallic honeycomb patterned material is there to act as a heat shield against the heat given off by the exhaust system; it may extend along the centre of the floor pan above the exhaust system too. You’ll probably find other areas of similar material in the engine compartment around the bulkhead area.
PoloAU
New
Drives: GTI 2019

Post by PoloAU »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 am Congratulations on your new car. The metallic honeycomb patterned material is there to act as a heat shield against the heat given off by the exhaust system; it may extend along the centre of the floor pan above the exhaust system too. You’ll probably find other areas of similar material in the engine compartment around the bulkhead area.
Hey mate,
Thanks for the response!

I'm not too worried about the metallic honeycomb material, but rather the beige/white soft material above it. Does everyone's else Polo look like this, or is there normally a black cover over it?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

If the beige/white material is the same as I’ve got on the underside of my previous generation Polo GTI, then it’s a material that’s applied to protect against stone chips in areas that might be susceptible to flying stones and road debris. The same or similar stone chip protection material is also applied to the lower sills before the car body shell goes through the painting process in the factory. You can easily see / feel this protective coating on the sills - below the black plastic sill extension strip on the GTI.

Here’s the protective layer on my car that I think you’re referring to. My car is blue, and you can see the unpainted stone chip protection clearly in the picture;
Attachments
F038C13C-0A94-487F-9312-611695664414.jpeg
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I can make photo of mine on white gti but it should bd same. As siad above it is almosr like fome to protect against rocks etc