VW Polo Headlights

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
R15KXK
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Beats 1.0 tsi 95

VW Polo Headlights

Post by R15KXK »

Hello all,

I currently have the VW Polo Beats 1.0, really not a fan of the warm headlight at the moment want to change to a bright white as soon as I can, anyone got any recommendations for bulbs to get would be grateful.

Cheers
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: VW Polo Headlights

Post by Andy Beats »

All the info you need is here

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72567

But, to cut to the chase, the whitest bulbs you can get while keeping 55W is Philips Diamond Vision H7
If you look at the photos on the last page of the above thread, you'll see they match the LED DRL very well.
You can get even whiter if you want, but they are 80W and could possibly overload the wiring.
R15KXK
Getting There!

Post by R15KXK »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am All the info you need is here

But, to cut to the chase, the whitest bulbs you can get while keeping 55W is Philips Diamond Vision H7
If you look at the photos on the last page of the above thread, you'll see they match the LED DRL very well.
You can get even whiter if you want, but they are 80W and could possibly overload the wiring.
Brilliant thanks a lot mate, will more than likely be getting the Phillips Diamond Vision H7
R15KXK
Getting There!

Post by R15KXK »

Cheers mate, they're pretty much all I wanted!

Quick question thought if you can answer, I contacted a local garage and they said they can supply and install a xenon conversion kit for £130, compare to the bulb which is about £20.
What are the benefits or differences between the two?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

R15KXK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 am Quick question thought if you can answer, I contacted a local garage and they said they can supply and install a xenon conversion kit for £130, compare to the bulb which is about £20.
Don't know, sorry.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

R15KXK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 am

Quick question thought if you can answer, I contacted a local garage and they said they can supply and install a xenon conversion kit for £130, compare to the bulb which is about £20.
Well a Xenon conversion IS illegal as due to the output of them Xenon headlights must have self leveling and a headlight cleaning system installed, plus the cutting up of your cars wiring etc to fit them, it will cause warranty issues as well, won't pass an MOT when it's time for that, if the car is on finance you get charged to put it back to standard when the car is returned etc etc, not worth it IMO.
R15KXK
Getting There!

Post by R15KXK »

Griff74 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:34 am
R15KXK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 am

Well a Xenon conversion IS illegal as due to the output of them Xenon headlights must have self leveling and a headlight cleaning system installed, plus the cutting up of your cars wiring etc to fit them, it will cause warranty issues as well, won't pass an MOT when it's time for that, if the car is on finance you get charged to put it back to standard when the car is returned etc etc, not worth it IMO.
Aah alright, thank you for that mate. Will definitely stick to the bulbs. Is the installation easy? I've watched a few videos and read up doesn't seem hard going to give it a shot anyways, Thanks again/
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Be aware the 55W Philips bulbs are also illegal (marked 'not for road use' on the packaging)
But the chances of that ever being an issue with anyone are so small as to be ignored.
I can't actually remember if the bulbs themselves are marked 'not for road use' anywhere.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

R15KXK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 am Aah alright, thank you for that mate. Will definitely stick to the bulbs. Is the installation easy? I've watched a few videos and read up doesn't seem hard going to give it a shot anyways, Thanks again/
Very easy.
You need a torx head screwdriver, then it's two bolts per headlight.
The bolts are very easily accessed, right in front of you under the bonnet above the headlight - there's three or four of the same bolts in a row, but it's easy to tell which two you need with trial and error.
Give the lights a thump from the back and the whole unit comes out.
You can then change the bulbs by having the headlights dangle from the wiring loom, or just unclip the wiring loom (one clip) and take the headlight inside.
When refitting them, make sure the plastic clips at the bottom of the headlight are correctly clipped back in before bolting, or the headlight will wobble.
R15KXK
Getting There!

Post by R15KXK »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 am Be aware the 55W Philips bulbs are also illegal (marked 'not for road use' on the packaging)
But the chances of that ever being an issue with anyone are so small as to be ignored.
I can't actually remember if the bulbs themselves are marked 'not for road use' anywhere.
Yeah I noticed you mentioned that, thanks for the warning though.
Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:42 am
R15KXK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 am Aah alright, thank you for that mate. Will definitely stick to the bulbs. Is the installation easy? I've watched a few videos and read up doesn't seem hard going to give it a shot anyways, Thanks again/
Very easy.
You need a torx head screwdriver, then it's two bolts per headlight.
The bolts are very easily accessed, right in front of you under the bonnet above the headlight - there's three or four of the same bolts in a row, but it's easy to tell which two you need with trial and error.
Give the lights a thump from the back and the whole unit comes out.
You can then change the bulbs by having the headlights dangle from the wiring loom, or just unclip the wiring loom (one clip) and take the headlight inside.
When refitting them, make sure the plastic clips at the bottom of the headlight are correctly clipped back in before bolting, or the headlight will wobble.
Thank you mate I will order them now and sort them out when they arrive, appreciate all the help guys. Glad I found and joined this forum haha
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

You might as well change the main beam as well, also H7.
I didn't bother with the white philips bulbs for main, I just went for Osram nightbreakers.
Better than standard, but not as white as the Philips.
I only wanted the white look on dip, to match the LED DRL.
R15KXK
Getting There!

Post by R15KXK »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:49 am You might as well change the main beam as well, also H7.
I didn't bother with the white philips bulbs for main, I just went for Osram nightbreakers.
Better than standard, but not as white as the Philips.
I only wanted the white look on dip, to match the LED DRL.
Hey I have still been looking about for lights, I came across these would these fit and be good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7-100W-COB- ... 2288224582
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

No idea, mate, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

A - don't know the implications of changing from halogen to LED in the same headlight (reflector issues?)
B - even if swapping to an LED bulbs is fine, wouldn't touch no-name ebay bulbs.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18 am
No idea, mate, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

A - don't know the implications of changing from halogen to LED in the same headlight (reflector issues?)
B - even if swapping to an LED bulbs is fine, wouldn't touch no-name ebay bulbs.
@R15KXK; It’s not a good idea to fit LED bulbs in reflector headlamp units that weren’t designed to take LED bulbs. The result would be a very poor beam pattern that probably won’t improve the view of road ahead, plus lots of uncontrolled light scatter that would dazzle drivers of oncoming vehicles. Those eBay bulbs are rated at 8000 lumens and in the UK, anything above 2000 lumens requires the car to have headlamp washers. I think the headlamps also need to be self levelling if bulbs are rated above 2000 lumens too.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

LED and still 100W each? That's like a 900W halogen bulb!!!

Avoid like the plague. Apart from the whiter light, the main advantage of LED is low power usage and these use almost twice as much as a standard halogen bulb.