Retrofit Reversing Camera

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
chris.tayler
New

Retrofit Reversing Camera

Post by chris.tayler »

Just got a used GTI+ (loving it so far!).

This is the first car I've owned in 10 years that hasn't got a reversing camera, and i'm struggling to trust myself a little bit. Is it possible to retrofit through dealer? It's going in to get some dash creaks looked at next week and will be asking them, but just wanted to know in advanced if anyone had done it.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Re: Retrofit Reversing Camera

Post by l3rady »

I'm pretty sure a dealer can do it but it won't be a cheap retrofit compared to adding it as an extra at build.

For a cost idea here is a company that offers the kit: https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/vol ... guidelines

They charge £200 for the installation and coding to enable it on the system.

When I looked into why it cost so much when I wanted to add it to my 6C polo it turns out that unless you get it factory fitted, the wiring for the camera doesn't exist so it involves adding the cable to the loom and pulling out loads of trim and carpet to run the cable along the car. Don't know if this is still the case for the AW Polo.

Since I saw the cost being so much I decided not to go ahead and lived without a camera for over three 3 years with no bumps. I have found the parking sensors have been enough to park in tight spots. Saying that though, I have specced a reversing camera at build for my AW Polo.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

l3rady wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 pm When I looked into why it cost so much when I wanted to add it to my 6C polo it turns out that unless you get it factory fitted, the wiring for the camera doesn't exist so it involves adding the cable to the loom and pulling out loads of trim and carpet to run the cable along the car. Don't know if this is still the case for the AW Polo.
Looking at the Kufatec Kit, the cable is required for the AW Polo. https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-products ... -aw1-42080
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

Great thanks guys.

Will report back next week on actual estimated costs from dealers.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

l3rady wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 pm I'm pretty sure a dealer can do it but it won't be a cheap retrofit compared to adding it as an extra at build.

For a cost idea here is a company that offers the kit: https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/vol ... guidelines

They charge £200 for the installation and coding to enable it on the system.

When I looked into why it cost so much when I wanted to add it to my 6C polo it turns out that unless you get it factory fitted, the wiring for the camera doesn't exist so it involves adding the cable to the loom and pulling out loads of trim and carpet to run the cable along the car. Don't know if this is still the case for the AW Polo.

Since I saw the cost being so much I decided not to go ahead and lived without a camera for over three 3 years with no bumps. I have found the parking sensors have been enough to park in tight spots. Saying that though, I have specced a reversing camera at build for my AW Polo.
So i spoke with VW Liverpool whilst the Polo was in for some rattle diagnostics today. They DO NOT offer retrofit of the camera (apparently only available on Golf).
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

chris.tayler wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:35 pm So i spoke with VW Liverpool whilst the Polo was in for some rattle diagnostics today. They DO NOT offer retrofit of the camera (apparently only available on Golf).
Well, that's a bummer, but plenty of companies in the UK that will do the retrofit and a VW garage have just lost a chance to make some money from you.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

l3rady wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 pm
chris.tayler wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:35 pm So i spoke with VW Liverpool whilst the Polo was in for some rattle diagnostics today. They DO NOT offer retrofit of the camera (apparently only available on Golf).
Well, that's a bummer, but plenty of companies in the UK that will do the retrofit and a VW garage have just lost a chance to make some money from you.
They have...but they also put the fear in me to get it done with the dreaded "it will invalidate the warranty". I did ask how (like the entire car or just the infotainment) and they said it would be tailgate (i.e. if it started to rattle or rust) and infotainment.

I think i'll just re-learn how to park without a camera...first world problems right?