Thinking of remapping my Polo.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Re: Thinking of remapping my Polo.

Post by fazzy »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am
Why would you think I think chipping it would cure the gearing?
How on earth would anyone with even an inkling of mechanical knowledge think that?
However, it would make the stupid gearing easier to live with.
Think of it as climbing stairs, the stronger your legs the easier it is.
I've no idea what the relevance of your cash comment (who cares... :?: ) or the eye roll are.
If you don't like the thought of people chipping their Polo, stay out of the thread.....?
It's like you take offence to people not being happy with the performance of their car. :?
Andy, yesterday I got a 1.0 TSi 95 KM DSG Polo for the weekend before mine arrives within about a week.
Obviously, I took it into my garage, and plugged in the tuning box.
5 minute job, one plug in the case of the tuning boxes that I have and the effect is pretty good, although wheel spin in S mode on the DSG in first gear is uncontrollable. Maybe with more practice, one could get a hang of it.
I didn't have the opportunity to take the car on the dyno on a Sunday, but I'm giving the car back tomorrow and we'll see if they detect the power box that was installed :)
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

fazzy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am
Why would you think I think chipping it would cure the gearing?
How on earth would anyone with even an inkling of mechanical knowledge think that?
However, it would make the stupid gearing easier to live with.
Think of it as climbing stairs, the stronger your legs the easier it is.
I've no idea what the relevance of your cash comment (who cares... :?: ) or the eye roll are.
If you don't like the thought of people chipping their Polo, stay out of the thread.....?
It's like you take offence to people not being happy with the performance of their car. :?
Andy, yesterday I got a 1.0 TSi 95 KM DSG Polo for the weekend before mine arrives within about a week.
Obviously, I took it into my garage, and plugged in the tuning box.
5 minute job, one plug in the case of the tuning boxes that I have and the effect is pretty good, although wheel spin in S mode on the DSG in first gear is uncontrollable. Maybe with more practice, one could get a hang of it.
I didn't have the opportunity to take the car on the dyno on a Sunday, but I'm giving the car back tomorrow and we'll see if they detect the power box that was installed :)
One plug on the boxes you have? Sounds like the enhancement will be pretty crude with only one channel input unless the one input is the OBD port.

I've had a very crude box on my Golf GTD (TDI Tuning) which massively overfuelled on every level of throttle input. The DTUK box was much more refined. Maybe therein lies the 1st gear S mode wheel spin problem? Too much fuel too early? Or the tyres aren't up to the job of providing enough grip to rein in tramping?

If not through the OBD port, what is your one lead altering? Fuel rail or boost sensor?

If the box hasn't caused any fault codes to have lit anything up in the dash, it's unlikely you'll get busted for having used the box. They will only investigate a fault and look deeper (they won't scan every courtesy car on return if there's no reason to scan - too much time and expense).

If it does throw up a fault code related to engine management or gearbox then they will discover that you've used a box. That'll cost you your drive train warranty on your own car if it happens on that.

While using their car with your box on, you are invalidating any insurance policy covering you to drive the car.
fazzy
Bronze Member

Post by fazzy »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:46 pm
One plug on the boxes you have? Sounds like the enhancement will be pretty crude with only one channel input unless the one input is the OBD port.

I've had a very crude box on my Golf GTD (TDI Tuning) which massively overfuelled on every level of throttle input. The DTUK box was much more refined. Maybe therein lies the 1st gear S mode wheel spin problem? Too much fuel too early? Or the tyres aren't up to the job of providing enough grip to rein in tramping?

If not through the OBD port, what is your one lead altering? Fuel rail or boost sensor?

If the box hasn't caused any fault codes to have lit anything up in the dash, it's unlikely you'll get busted for having used the box. They will only investigate a fault and look deeper (they won't scan every courtesy car on return if there's no reason to scan - too much time and expense).

If it does throw up a fault code related to engine management or gearbox then they will discover that you've used a box. That'll cost you your drive train warranty on your own car if it happens on that.

While using their car with your box on, you are invalidating any insurance policy covering you to drive the car.
For different engines, there is different types of harness. For the Gti, it's a two plug harness. For example a Volvo D5 has a six plug harness.
The one plug is the boost sensor on the pipe just after the turbo.
Like I said, this one in particular, I haven't run on the dyno being a Sunday. But I have been using these boxes for the past 5 years and so far no problems starting with a 0.9 litre Renault engine, going all the way up to the current M5 boosting it from 625 HP up to 677 HP on the dyno, all within the current Euro 6 Spec and with a TUV certificate. So I don't think the overfuelling is a problem... Too much fuel too early, would flood the engine and best case scenario, it would be jerking like a toddler's rattle. The boost increase is adjustable on the digital boxes and I ran the entire range of settings from 0,05 up to 0,2 bar increase without throwing an error code. That simply means, that all was done within VW safety margin and personally I don't see a problem with that.

As far as the dealer is concerned, since the owner is a friend of mine, I will specifically ask him to scan the car... so we'll see :)
BMW dealer, with which I cooperate, told me straight: if they suspect that the car had a box, they will tell the customer in their own convincing way, that the car had a box, but if he customer does not give in and admit to it, then there is no legal way of proving it in court.
As far as insurance is concerned, maybe that is the case where you live, but there is still a lot of places around the globe, where that makes absolutely no difference :)
If the car throws a code, that is no proof that a box has been used. Nobody will tell me that if you don't use a box, you will not have a code thrown at you for other reasons. Let's see what VW says :)
JarrydDempsey
New

Post by JarrydDempsey »

I've have done a full ECU remap on my trendline (70kw) and after the Dyno it is making 100kw on the wheels. I do however also have a full exhaust. The remap was done by Celtic Tuning which is a UK based company, this was done by a vendor as I am in South Africa. Car is running well, noticeable power difference, although I am driving a manual as I do not like the DSGs. Dyno graph below

Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

250NM is a useful jump in torque, more so than the BHP.
JarrydDempsey
New

Post by JarrydDempsey »

Bear in mind the difference on the graph was between the first run and second run after the tune. The stock car is 70kw and 190nm after tune and exhaust its 100kw and 250nm so the increase was 30kw(40bhp) and 60nm both of which are substantially noticeable.
fazzy
Bronze Member

Post by fazzy »

JarrydDempsey wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 am Bear in mind the difference on the graph was between the first run and second run after the tune. The stock car is 70kw and 190nm after tune and exhaust its 100kw and 250nm so the increase was 30kw(40bhp) and 60nm both of which are substantially noticeable.
Hang on... please clarify something:
You wrote that the result is 100 kW at the wheels, but the 70 kW manufacturer’s claim is at the fly. 100 kW at the wheels that is some serious power from a 1.0.
Where in SA are you? Coast or Reef?
Did you make a run before the tune? Any idea what the output at the wheels was before the tune?
JarrydDempsey
New

Post by JarrydDempsey »

Yea its alot for a 1l, I was very impressed with the outcome. I am in JHB which is about 2000M above sea level inland so coast would prob make slightly more power. The car was dyno'd before the map but I had already done the exhaust. So first dyno after exhaust and downpipe was 85kw then after software was the 99.5kw. This is on a trendline which is quoted as 70kw by the factory.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

fazzy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:43 pm 100 kW at the wheels that is some serious power from a 1.0.
Ford's Ecoboost 1.0 litre is putting out 140PS, which is 105KW.
They reckon they can get it to 200PS no problem.
JarrydDempsey
New

Post by JarrydDempsey »

So the car said it was 70kw stock, I did a dyno before the Tune but the car did have a freeflow and downpipe, this dyno'd at 85kw on the wheels, then after the map 99.5kw on the wheels.
JarrydDempsey
New

Post by JarrydDempsey »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:28 am
fazzy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:43 pm 100 kW at the wheels that is some serious power from a 1.0.
Ford's Ecoboost 1.0 litre is putting out 140PS, which is 105KW.
They reckon they can get it to 200PS no problem.
That will be my project later this year, replacing the turbo and the intercooler to try get it to 140kw.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

JarrydDempsey wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 pm That will be my project later this year, replacing the turbo and the intercooler to try get it to 140kw.
Presumably injectors too?
Can't see the stock injectors being able to supply enough fuel.
My Alpina D3, which is a tuned 320D, had the turbo/intercooler/injectors from the 325D.
JarrydDempsey
New

Post by JarrydDempsey »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm
JarrydDempsey wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 pm That will be my project later this year, replacing the turbo and the intercooler to try get it to 140kw.
Presumably injectors too?
Can't see the stock injectors being able to supply enough fuel.
My Alpina D3, which is a tuned 320D, had the turbo/intercooler/injectors from the 325D.
yea will prob look at the injectors from the UP GTI as that uses a high pressure turbo.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

By the time you replace the intercooler, turbo and injectors (don't forget the clutch if you're manual), it would've been far more cost effective to buy a GTI, and you wouldn't have an engine straining at the seams.

Those 140ps EcoBoost engines are dropping like flies at 2 years old.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:39 pm By the time you replace the intercooler, turbo and injectors (don't forget the clutch if you're manual), it would've been far more cost effective to buy a GTI, and you wouldn't have an engine straining at the seams.

Those 140ps EcoBoost engines are dropping like flies at 2 years old.
There's maybe perfectly valid reasons why tuning his 95bhp is a better option for him than buying a Gti.
Insurance is maybe miles cheaper, with the tuning only adding a percentage that still makes it cheaper than the Gti.
For example, tuning a motorbike only often adds 10% to the premium - cheaper than insuring the next bike up the line.
The mods themselves needn't be expensive if he sources the parts right and fits them himself.
Sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so I'd venture he's going DIY.