fuel economy

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
markd
New

fuel economy

Post by markd »

hi, i own a mk4 1.6 cl polo. the fuel economy is 27 mpg, is this high or low for this model? just wondered if it was running ok, as i've heard that polos are good on fuel, but mines not even doing 30 to the gallon.
mbenz1
Bronze Member

Post by mbenz1 »

thats dead on what i get doing mostly town driving anda little weekend motorway driving. ive got a 1.6 gl auto (yeayea no jokes).
bstardchild

Re: fuel economy

Post by bstardchild »

markd wrote:hi, i own a mk4 1.6 cl polo. the fuel economy is 27 mpg, is this high or low for this model? just wondered if it was running ok, as i've heard that polos are good on fuel, but mines not even doing 30 to the gallon.
Got at MK4 1.4 CL and that returns 44 (ish) on a run and 38 round town/mixed - This isn't any better than my MKII 1.3 coupe S so not that happy with it....... Had expected closer to 50mpg on a run
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

it actually depends on ur driving style (when u change gear at redline, you can practically see the needle going down :lol: )
david burton

Post by david burton »

just to add to this thread: I've been doing about 250 miles of motorway at 70 - 75mph, and 20 miles town driving very carefully.

and returned 38.5mpg. in a 1.4 16v

hardly worth the effort!
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

put it into neutral every chance u get! :lol: :lol:
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

carmadaaron wrote:put it into neutral every chance u get! :lol: :lol:
I'm hoping you weren't serious - but just in case you are......

If you take your foot off the throttle but leave it in gear as you decelerate the fuel used will be less than if you slip it into neutral and coast as when it is in neutral it's using fuel to keep the engine running - in gear the engine is being kept running by the wheels turning and the ecu will turn the fuel off........
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

david burton wrote:just to add to this thread: I've been doing about 250 miles of motorway at 70 - 75mph, and 20 miles town driving very carefully.

and returned 38.5mpg. in a 1.4 16v

hardly worth the effort!
1.4 CL 8V

Currently just hit 200 miles and the tank has only just gone below the 3/4 mark so I reckon this will be one of the better tanks/mpg - mixed driving 25% town work, 65% A&B roads, rest comuting to work - less than a mile.

I'm sure the fuel consumption is improving since I got the car - I was dissappointed when I got it because it wasn't any better than my MKII 1.3 Coupe S - and I think the major reason is because it requires a different approach. The 1.3 was a revy little engine which definately pulled better after 3500 - this 1.4 is much torquier and seems to perform better when not reved past 3500 - in fact it's actually quite good when you set a shift point of 2000 rpm.

Is it worth it after all the saving on a tank of fuel between 38 and 48 mpg is only £5 over a tank so all I can say is

The LC uses £50 worth of Optimax everytime I take it out and is on a restricted mileage policy so I want to enjoy the driving I do in it - that means I don't give a flying **** about the fuel consumption

The Polo using £20 of 95 ron every two weeks and just used as a get to work and trips at the weekend where I wouldn't fancy taking the LC means what I save in the polo I can use to feed the LC's thirst!!!

So I think I'll keep trying to drive it with an eye on the fuel consumption - sad I know!!!!
david burton

Post by david burton »

200 miles with 3/4 of a tank

don't you just love the way a fuel tank is never calibrated right

800 miles per tank?! :P

anyhow, my 16v says 100 on an 8th, but then shoots down to about 200 for half a tank, then stays relatively constant. 400 out of a tank might _just_ be possible.

how big is the tank anyway?

just found oput - 45 litres

and even if you do 45mpg, 1/4 tank should be 112 miles

:?:
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

david burton wrote:200 miles with 3/4 of a tank

don't you just love the way a fuel tank is never calibrated right

800 miles per tank?! :P
Yeah hopelessly optimistic in terms of content for the first two 1/4's then falls like a stone for the remaining two!!!!
david burton wrote:anyhow, my 16v says 100 on an 8th, but then shoots down to about 200 for half a tank, then stays relatively constant. 400 out of a tank might _just_ be possible.

how big is the tank anyway?

just found oput - 45 litres

and even if you do 45mpg, 1/4 tank should be 112 miles

:?:
Thought blow this it's the best I've seen to date (and the needle was dropping faster than the miles were being added so went and filled it up 218 miles - 20L of jungle juice was all I could squeeze in - thats 49.54 mpg

Lets just say I'm chuffed with that
david burton

Post by david burton »

sweet! i wish i had the long ratio gearbox :(
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

bstardchild wrote:Thought blow this it's the best I've seen to date (and the needle was dropping faster than the miles were being added so went and filled it up 218 miles - 20L of jungle juice was all I could squeeze in - thats 49.54 mpg
Now beaten with latest tanks results - 49.77 mpg - now is that consistancy or what......
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

I be needing me one them thar long ratio boxes for my 1.3, I'm disappointed to find the gearing on a par with my mk3 GT :(
chubbster
Silver Member

Post by chubbster »

ive had just over 400 with a full tank of optimax, but thats when i limited myself to driving under 4000 rpm even on the motorway. boring but frugal!
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Bit of an update :lol:

I can pretty conclusively say that going up from 175 to 195 tyres has dropped the mpg by about 3-4mpg

last two tanks - mixed running (50/50 short trips/town v long runs)

46mpg and 45 mpg -driving style unchanged - and would have seen 49 before :cry: