GTI gearbox jerkiness from auto gear change 3>2

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

GTI gearbox jerkiness from auto gear change 3>2

Post by l3rady »

Hi, I believe this has been reported a couple of times in the GTI owners experience thread but wanted to get a dedicated thread going for people to share their gearbox issues.

My GTI has now got 1K miles on the clock and been loving the transition from a manual to this DSG gearbox. The gear changes in normal mode are buttery smooth and in sports mode quick and sharp. In most situations, the gearbox is like it is not there in a good way. You don't have to think about it as it works away in the background. There is one particular scenario where it isn't in the background and it makes itself know with an unpleasant jerk.

When in normal mode doing city driving the gearbox will be in third and I will be approaching lights or traffic and need to slow down. Rather than be hard on the breaks at the last minute I start applying a small amount of break to slowly bring the car to a stop. As the gearbox changes down to second gear it doesn't seem to transition the gear very smoothly. It doesn't appear to feather the engine revs down so well when it goes into second gear which causes the car to lurch a bit forward making me have to apply heavier braking. It has caught me off guard a few times where I thought the car had a mind of its own.

Now, by no means is this jerkiness a deal-breaker for me. I still love the thing but it is a shame the gearbox does this as it is a flaw in otherwise a perfect product IMO.

I think why the gearbox does it is because it thinks I want to de-accelerate quicker than I want to so it does a quick downshift but I'm not applying enough brake to warrant the quicker downshift. I think the thresholds of the gear changes while braking in normal mode need tweaking a bit but I suspect what is right for my driving style won't be right for someone else.

Anyone else experienced this downshift 3->2 jerkiness I have?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: GTI gearbox jerkiness from auto gear change 3>2

Post by monkeyhanger »

Doesn't happen with me unless I manual mode and knocking down the gears in an effort to engine brake (which DSG doesn't like to do).
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Yes, I know what you mean.
I find it can jump a little when going into second too.
If in eco mode, it's even more odd. Clutch seems to almost 'chatter' when going down to second, which can feel like a small bunny hop.
In either case, applying more brakes hides these oddities
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Thankfully someone else has the EXACT same experience as me! I was super worried my gearbox had been damaged from my day1 launches :oops: :mrgreen:
Im in the "thrash it from day one" camp when it comes to breaking in cars. So I didn't baby it the first few hundred km. Always let it heat up properly though.
I've been contemplating taking it to the dealer with this issue, as it does bother me quite a bit! Especially since I had a DSG7 (the notorious DQ200) before which was BUTTER smooth and had ZERO issues. I was promised flying pigs and gravy with this 'wet clutch' DSG6 (DQ250) and honestly.. its WAY more jerky than my DSG7.... GO FIGURE!.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

only jerkiness in sport mode with manual changes.

In auto mode no issues.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

green justin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 pm only jerkiness in sport mode with manual changes.

In auto mode no issues.
Me too, when you try to replicate engine braking with manual downshifts. Smooth as silk in auto mode.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:58 pm
green justin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 pm only jerkiness in sport mode with manual changes.

In auto mode no issues.
Me too, when you try to replicate engine braking with manual downshifts. Smooth as silk in auto mode.
That settles it then, time to bring it in.. for the 2nd time now.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

phillos wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:58 pm

In auto mode no issues.
That settles it then, time to bring it in.. for the 2nd time now.
Could be tied to what mode you're in (driver select and gearbox mode)? If you're always in Sport and S , maybe the gearbox is a bit harsher?

I drive individual mode with everything set to Sport except engine noise (Eco) and suspension (normal), generally with gearbox in D mode. See if the gearbox is still jerky on the auto downshifts.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

It’s happening to me in Normal and anytime the gearbox is in drive
Dag
New

Post by Dag »

I reported a similar issue here viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73521&p=559273&hil ... ms#p559273 but didn't get much response.

The car's been in again, VW has said that the gearbox needs resetting, it's waiting to go in to have it done.

In an early Autocar review I found. "I share James’s view that the Polo GTI would be more enthusing with a manual ’box. The auto is unpredictable in town and removes a layer of interaction so crucial in a small hot hatch."

In an AutoExpress review. "The DSG works seamlessly when punching up through the gears but is less happy when changing down, with pauses between the ratios that hamper your progress when trying to make full use of the car’s performance. And given this is meant to be a drivers’ car it’s likely that many buyers would be keen to have the additional interaction and control associated with a manual gearbox."

I think the basis of the problem is that the gearbox integration is crap so it is not suited to the engine / car, though this may be software related rather than hardware.

In the post today I received a survey from VW via Ipsos MORI asking for my opinion of "your new Polo", they'll be getting both barrels.

I'm sorry I chose this thing over the manual Golf I tried.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

This definitely doesn't seem a characteristic of the gearbox that must be tolerated - neither of our 2 GTI+ do this (one pre-ppf, one with ppf).

That being said, I would much prefer a manual box - no feathering the clutch on gear changes, instant drop from 6th to 3rd for overtaking. You can drive the DSG manually, but can only change sequentially, and it feels like hard work vs a proper manual box (probably just because you have the option of being in auto).

VW seem to be trying to eradicate manual boxes from its performance line up.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Umm you aren't the only one that has experienced this, my car has been in twice with this issue and VW refuse to fault it and claim there is nothing wrong with the gear change.

I've got the Polo GTi +, and for the amount I paying I expected it to be super smooth, that currently is debatable.

On my second visit the master technician said that the jerkiness is subject to throttle control and also a characteristic of DSGs (I personally think this is a cop out)

They said I should use ECO mode which will change the gear quicker this avoiding the jerkiness.
I have noticed that seating position makes a big difference too, Ive found that to get the best control you need to sit quite close and higher than normal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Dag wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 pm I reported a similar issue here viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73521&p=559273&hil ... ms#p559273 but didn't get much response.

The car's been in again, VW has said that the gearbox needs resetting, it's waiting to go in to have it done.

In an early Autocar review I found. "I share James’s view that the Polo GTI would be more enthusing with a manual ’box. The auto is unpredictable in town and removes a layer of interaction so crucial in a small hot hatch."

In an AutoExpress review. "The DSG works seamlessly when punching up through the gears but is less happy when changing down, with pauses between the ratios that hamper your progress when trying to make full use of the car’s performance. And given this is meant to be a drivers’ car it’s likely that many buyers would be keen to have the additional interaction and control associated with a manual gearbox."

I think the basis of the problem is that the gearbox integration is crap so it is not suited to the engine / car, though this may be software related rather than hardware.

In the post today I received a survey from VW via Ipsos MORI asking for my opinion of "your new Polo", they'll be getting both barrels.

I'm sorry I chose this thing over the manual Golf I tried.
Is auto stop/start on when you drive?
Dag
New

Post by Dag »

Just a quick update.

Car's been in today. At the request of VW, the dealer checked the gearbox oil level (was OK) carried out a basic setting of the mechatronics unit and an adaptation test drive. The car now drives OK, fingers crossed.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

Dag wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:52 pm Just a quick update.

Car's been in today. At the request of VW, the dealer checked the gearbox oil level (was OK) carried out a basic setting of the mechatronics unit and an adaptation test drive. The car now drives OK, fingers crossed.
Still smooth after the mechatronic reset? Mines booked in tomorrow for this issue and the rattle buzz from the soundaktor.