Coolant and oil levels

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Re: Coolant and oil levels

Post by TElwoody »

nope, don't think it'll come with one as VW is now all about cost savings in the name of profit. Stupid Capatalism
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

Over the last few years I’ve owned an Audi A1 1.4 COD, Polo 6C GTI and now a Polo GTI+. First two cars I had for 3 years each and didn’t need any fluid tops up of any kind between services. The Audi was supplied with an oil top up bottle but I never had to use it. Neither GTI were supplied with oil top up. I’ve only had the GTI+ for two months and done 1490 miles, but so far no top ups required.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Trantor wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:21 pm Over the last few years I’ve owned an Audi A1 1.4 COD, Polo 6C GTI and now a Polo GTI+. First two cars I had for 3 years each and didn’t need any fluid tops up of any kind between services. The Audi was supplied with an oil top up bottle but I never had to use it. Neither GTI were supplied with oil top up. I’ve only had the GTI+ for two months and done 1490 miles, but so far no top ups required.
Both our GTI+ (2018 no PPF, 2019 with PPF) came with a litre of Mobil One, both from Listers of Nuneaton. Previous Golf GTD, Golf R and Scirocco 170TDI GT from Pulmans did not. 5 VWs before that, supplied by Benfield (now Lookers) got top up oil. Seems to be dealership dependent. My oil from Listers was itemised on both invoices.

My 2018 GTI+ was serviced on Aug 1st and hadn't used a drop of oil in 1 year/8500 miles.
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Post by Rocky5 »

Greetings Monkeyhanger ,
I have read all your posts in the last twelve months and found to be very very helpful. My deep respect for you, Sir.
Do you know what oil grade the garage use at your recent service?
Once again thank you for your wisdom.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rocky5 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:54 pm Greetings Monkeyhanger ,
I have read all your posts in the last twelve months and found to be very very helpful. My deep respect for you, Sir.
Hi Rocky,

I didn't have any oil grade stipulated on my invoice for the servicing, and my boot is full of Christmas presents that i'm going to have to sneak out of the car and into the loft after the kids have gone to bed, so can't get into the area under the boot floor to check my top up oil spec. I'm pretty sure that the Polo can use 0W30 and 5W30 fully synthetic, depending on climate/region, either to VW 504.00 or 507.00 grades. If in doubt and you don't have a top up oil, ask at your local dealership parts dept. I'll check my fuel filler flap sticker later to see if it states oil spec as well as fuel spec.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Loll I just posted this in another chat and wasnt sure how to move it across to here. Sorry guys.

I went and bought a 1L top up at VW on Friday and was given 5w-40 for my GTI.
Capture.JPG
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Simmo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:55 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 pm Any air in the system will finally make its way to the highest point in the system and so it will get carried onwards into the reservoir by that small hose - by design.
So, does that mean that when the factory filled up the car with coolant, there might have been air in the system, which over the last 6 weeks (since owning the car) has resulted in the small drop in coolant level?
The factory would never plan for any air being left in the cooling system -but as it has self purging built in, if any air got left in, it would end up in the reservoir and coolant would replace the air and so the level would drop slightly, I'd guess for efficiency the cooling system would get evacuated prior to being back filled with coolant - ie all in one process/operation.
Rocky5
New

Post by Rocky5 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:10 pm
Rocky5 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:54 pm Greetings Monkeyhanger ,
Hi Rocky,

I didn't have any oil grade stipulated on my invoice for the servicing, and my boot is full of Christmas presents that i'm going to have to sneak out of the car and into the loft after the kids have gone to bed, so can't get into the area under the boot floor to check my top up oil spec. I'm pretty sure that the Polo can use 0W30 and 5W30 fully synthetic, depending on climate/region, either to VW 504.00 or 507.00 grades. If in doubt and you don't have a top up oil, ask at your local dealership parts dept. I'll check my fuel filler flap sticker later to see if it states oil spec as well as fuel spec.

Hi Mankyhanger,

Please see my post:" Re: CORRECT OIL GRADE FOR POLO GTI"
Rocky5
New

Post by Rocky5 »

Hi Monkeyhanger,
Apologies, I misspelled your name in my earlier post.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:55 pm
Trantor wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:21 pm Over the last few years I’ve owned an Audi A1 1.4 COD, Polo 6C GTI and now a Polo GTI+. First two cars I had for 3 years each and didn’t need any fluid tops up of any kind between services. The Audi was supplied with an oil top up bottle but I never had to use it. Neither GTI were supplied with oil top up. I’ve only had the GTI+ for two months and done 1490 miles, but so far no top ups required.
Both our GTI+ (2018 no PPF, 2019 with PPF) came with a litre of Mobil One, both from Listers of Nuneaton. Previous Golf GTD, Golf R and Scirocco 170TDI GT from Pulmans did not. 5 VWs before that, supplied by Benfield (now Lookers) got top up oil. Seems to be dealership dependent. My oil from Listers was itemised on both invoices.

My 2018 GTI+ was serviced on Aug 1st and hadn't used a drop of oil in 1 year/8500 miles.
Lookers nuneaton has a 4.6 rating and 450 reviews. I was working up that way before i got my Polo and popped in to have a look at on and was thoroughly impressed with their professionalism and manner. was made to feel special and well looked after. I will be very tempted to head up that way if i get another VW in the future. They are about 130 miles away for me but worth it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TElwoody wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Lookers nuneaton has a 4.6 rating and 450 reviews. I was working up that way before i got my Polo and popped in to have a look at on and was thoroughly impressed with their professionalism and manner. was made to feel special and well looked after. I will be very tempted to head up that way if i get another VW in the future. They are about 130 miles away for me but worth it.
They're about 200 miles from me, but when the new car is 12% discount without haggling, and they trailer it up to a place of your choosing, it was well worth it.