Ordered the new GTI+ what to expect

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
rjnicko93
New
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTI+

Ordered the new GTI+ what to expect

Post by rjnicko93 »

I finally committed and ordered the GTI+ earlier today. I'm so excited.

This will be my first real hot hatch unless you count my first car which I had very briefly (less than 48 hours) at 17 years old which was my dads old Peugeot 307 XSI sport with a 2.0 Litre petrol engine. However, we soon discovered the insurance back in 2010 was going to cost £11,500 for a 17 year old so obviously this wasn't suitable at all for a new driver and got rid and I bought a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto instead.

Since Passing my test almost ten years back I've owned several different cars the favourite being the MK7 Golf Match TDI I had between 2014 and 2016. I've ordered my GTI+ in red as well, seemed a nice colour and also ended up being cheaper as its the standard colour it comes in.

I just wondered if anyone knew what expectations were like? I haven't actually driven a Polo GTI yet. Only driven a bog standard 3 cylinder Polo a Golf R and a Golf GTI. I know I'll like it though as I tend to like most stuff VW make. It's also going to be the first automatic I've ever owned so that'll be all new to me as well lol.

Main things I'm looking forward to is the Adaptive cruise control, LED lights, DSG gearbox, the engine sound, the Virtual cockpit and yes even Apple Car play. My dads new Tiguan has CarPlay and when I drive that I wouldn't be without it now lol.

My current car is a 2017 Honda Civic Sport 1.6 TDI and its showing its age these days. Lacking stuff like Apple Car Play and adaptive cruise control. It also is quite flimsy interior wise and the headlights are some of the worst I've ever experienced on a car. The Honda's head lights act more like candles in Jam Jars just very poor spread and also very dim.
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Re: Ordered the new GTI+ what to expect

Post by Slider09 »

Strange not to actually test drive one before buying, although I suppose it’s very similar to the Golf GTI (just slightly slower).

Exciting times, trouble is it will seem like an eternity now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rjnicko93 wrote:I finally committed and ordered the GTI+ earlier today. I'm so excited.

This will be my first real hot hatch unless you count my first car which I had very briefly (less than 48 hours) at 17 years old which was my dads old Peugeot 307 XSI sport with a 2.0 Litre petrol engine. However, we soon discovered the insurance back in 2010 was going to cost £11,500 for a 17 year old so obviously this wasn't suitable at all for a new driver and got rid and I bought a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto instead.

Since Passing my test almost ten years back I've owned several different cars the favourite being the MK7 Golf Match TDI I had between 2014 and 2016. I've ordered my GTI+ in red as well, seemed a nice colour and also ended up being cheaper as its the standard colour it comes in.

I just wondered if anyone knew what expectations were like? I haven't actually driven a Polo GTI yet. Only driven a bog standard 3 cylinder Polo a Golf R and a Golf GTI. I know I'll like it though as I tend to like most stuff VW make. It's also going to be the first automatic I've ever owned so that'll be all new to me as well lol.

Main things I'm looking forward to is the Adaptive cruise control, LED lights, DSG gearbox, the engine sound, the Virtual cockpit and yes even Apple Car play. My dads new Tiguan has CarPlay and when I drive that I wouldn't be without it now lol.

My current car is a 2017 Honda Civic Sport 1.6 TDI and its showing its age these days. Lacking stuff like Apple Car Play and adaptive cruise control. It also is quite flimsy interior wise and the headlights are some of the worst I've ever experienced on a car. The Honda's head lights act more like candles in Jam Jars just very poor spread and also very dim.
I have had my GTI+ for just over 6 months now and love it..

There have been a few niggly bits that VW looked at and sorted out for me but those niggles did change the car in anyway.

You commented on your existing headlights, trust me, when you get your Polo, the LED headlights are great that it will feel like you'll be driving with flood lights, they are so bright and give a good spread on the road at night.

Adaptive cruise is a nice feature, takes a while to adjust to but once you are used to it, makes motorway driving and dual carriageways alot easier.

DSG: This took me ages to get used to as it's a different driving style, seating position is everything otherwise it's up and down gears like a yo-yo. (Pedal is super sensitive)

Other than those points, you shouldn't be too disappointed. It's a great all rounder.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vonbek2004 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
cardiak
New
Drives: --

Post by cardiak »

rjnicko93 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:44 pm I just wondered if anyone knew what expectations were like?
You'll become the master of patience and maritime ship tracking :wink:
aron.phelan
New

Post by aron.phelan »

cardiak wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:19 am
rjnicko93 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:44 pm I just wondered if anyone knew what expectations were like?
You'll become the master of patience and maritime ship tracking :wink:
Haha this so true. To be fair I’m loving the Ship tracking app it’s like playing top trumps and as I live by the sea I can track ships near me
Dag
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dag »

Here's a few things you can expect :cry:

Crap downshifting, especially 3 to 2.
Rattle from the handbrake.
Squealling brakes when reversing.
When the engine's cold, crap drivability for the first half a mile or so.
Not being able to tell whether the auto headlights are on or off.
Windscreen wiper blade judder.
Squeaking from the trim around the door handles.
A season ticket for the dealer's courtesy car.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

Just want to comment on this.

Here's a few things you can expect :cry:

Crap downshifting, especially 3 to 2. - I really don't feel that :)
Rattle from the handbrake. - None in my car
Squealling brakes when reversing. - Only when you're reversing right after engine start
When the engine's cold, crap drivability for the first half a mile or so. - Don't really feel that.
Not being able to tell whether the auto headlights are on or off. - Mine is working great when it is dark
Windscreen wiper blade judder. Somewhat true
Squeaking from the trim around the door handles. I've got none of that
A season ticket for the dealer's courtesy car. - Been driving for about a year now and no reason to see a mechanic.

On the other hand the most disapointing thing for me has been the exhaust. It is just not roaring enough..

I do love how it drives and after 2000 kms it feels like a completely new car.
cardiak
New
Drives: --

Post by cardiak »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 am the most disapointing thing for me has been the exhaust. It is just not roaring enough..
This was the only slight concern I had with the 2019. Have you considered getting the resonator deleted?
rjnicko93
New

Post by rjnicko93 »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 am
On the other hand the most disapointing thing for me has been the exhaust. It is just not roaring enough..
Lol I’m sure the exhaust will be an improvement for me. My diesel civic sounds like a tractor lol
rjnicko93
New

Post by rjnicko93 »

Dag wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 pm Here's a few things you can expect :cry:

Crap downshifting, especially 3 to 2.
Rattle from the handbrake.
Squealling brakes when reversing.
When the engine's cold, crap drivability for the first half a mile or so.
Not being able to tell whether the auto headlights are on or off.
Windscreen wiper blade judder.
Squeaking from the trim around the door handles.
A season ticket for the dealer's courtesy car.
Sad to hear of your issues. I had a 2014 Golf Match a few years back and my dad has a 2019 VW Tiguan. Build quality seemed excellent in both. Solid and no rattles. My honda on the other hand. Terrible. Glove box, something inside the dash itself and the Seat belts all rattle like crazy.