Polo passenger A pillar creaking/rattling

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Smokey1
New
Drives: Polo Rline 95

Polo passenger A pillar creaking/rattling

Post by Smokey1 »

Had my 2019 polo Rline for 2 months now but within the past 2 weeks the front passenger A pillar has started clicking/creaking. Has anyone else got this problem? Should I phone up the dealer it is driving me nuts, I am also getting a sound from the phone charger compartment or LCD screen it sounds like a rattling but I removed everything from the compartment and it's still there.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Re: Polo passenger A pillar creaking/rattling

Post by phillos »

I had a similar issue on my 6C BlueGT, it was a very faint rattly sound. If I tapped it, it would stop for a while.

One day I tapped it... lets say rather enthusiastically, which made it stop forever.

I call it "Technical Violence".
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

phillos wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 pm
I call it "Technical Violence".

Nice "call"...😁
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Smokey1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:55 pm Had my 2019 polo Rline for 2 months now but within the past 2 weeks the front passenger A pillar has started clicking/creaking. Has anyone else got this problem? Should I phone up the dealer it is driving me nuts, I am also getting a sound from the phone charger compartment or LCD screen it sounds like a rattling but I removed everything from the compartment and it's still there.
My Polo has a "creak/rattle" when it's cold/damp weather, damn annoying, been ok all summer but returned now so I'll have to find time to take it in, sounds like outside the car, like a dry joint?
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

The creaks, and rattles usually return in the cold weather, mainly due to the different plastics in the car reacting differently when close or touching one another. I’ve found using 303 Aerospace Protectant works wonders. Not only is it perfect for keeping the plastics looking good, I’ve found it reduces the creaks and rattles between different plastics.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

I have my AW Polo (1.6 Conceptline) for about 2 months now, the car is assembled in South Africa in August 2019.

Whenever I drive into a corner I will hear a marble rolling noise from the tailgate section, I don't brother to waste my time taking it back to the VW dealers.

I strip the interior trim of the tailgate and I found this clip running free in the tailgate:
20191030_200027.jpg
I guess the guy who assemble my Polo dropped this clip in the tailgate and just leave it there.

You could have a similar problem.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I had a sound which I thought was coming from the dash, when I turned either left or right, you could hear a sliding sound, the dealers had just replaced new dash pads as I ordered, orange, the same as the car, but when it was delivered it had black pads, so they changed them for free. So I assumed it was coming from the dash, as it was late and dark I thought "I'll give it a looking at in the morning. when I was looking around, I found a dumpy screwdriver in one of the centre cup holders. Being a "Snap-on" I took it back and asked who's screwdriver it belonged to? No mechanic said it didn't belong to them, so I took it home, it wasn't mine, but it is know :D
That's the time my Polo was damaged at the garage and nobody owned up to it.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

ho8882000 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:07 pm I have my AW Polo (1.6 Conceptline) for about 2 months now, the car is assembled in South Africa in August 2019.

Whenever I drive into a corner I will hear a marble rolling noise from the tailgate section, I don't brother to waste my time taking it back to the VW dealers.

I strip the interior trim of the tailgate and I found this clip running free in the tailgate:

20191030_200027.jpg

I guess the guy who assemble my Polo dropped this clip in the tailgate and just leave it there.

I can imagine a worker at assembly line droping this clip while putting them on a was like "meh, warranty will solve that" :lol:
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Dark_cze wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:21 am
ho8882000 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:07 pm I have my AW Polo (1.6 Conceptline) for about 2 months now, the car is assembled in South Africa in August 2019.

20191030_200027.jpg

I can imagine a worker at assembly line droping this clip while putting them on a was like "meh, warranty will solve that" :lol:

This is why the assemble quality of the Polo from South Africa is not great, it is this kind of bad working attitude of another man's problem. :x
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

ho8882000 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:08 pm This is why the assemble quality of the Polo from South Africa is not great, it is this kind of bad working attitude of another man's problem. :x
my polo build in spain is not really that better either ... I was in skoda plant in mlada boleslav CZ few years ago. Whole final assembly line is mooving with car and since polo is not really premium model they will try to make them as fast as possible. My guess would be they tried but was not able to get it in any reasonable time so worker moved to next car. To be honest they could find it while testing car after final assembly or dealer could find it while making inspection and preparing car for you ...
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I don't think your dealer doing a PDI would drive the car around the roads, it's an in garage inspection, so a loose clip wouldn't show up on the PDI.
While on the production line, it's the actual line that moves not the technicians, and the time is specified how long they have on their part of the build. So if they did drop a clip but could not find it, they cannot waste time looking for it, by the time they did find it, they could be two stations down, and would be in the way of the workers on the following stations.
I have worked in quite a few car plants putting robotic automation between machine tools, and the production lines do not stop for one person to find clips that have been dropped, if he or she finds the dropped clip so much the better.
I realise it's an inconvenience for an owner of a new car to have rattles, but they can be sorted and rectified.
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Dark_cze wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:23 am
ho8882000 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:08 pm This is why the assemble quality of the Polo from South Africa is not great, it is this kind of bad working attitude of another man's problem. :x
my polo build in spain is not really that better either ... I was in skoda plant in mlada boleslav CZ few years ago. Whole final assembly line is mooving with car and since polo is not really premium model they will try to make them as fast as possible. My guess would be they tried but was not able to get it in any reasonable time so worker moved to next car. To be honest they could find it while testing car after final assembly or dealer could find it while making inspection and preparing car for you ...
I know VW and VW Commercial are two companies, but I also have a VW Caddy build by VW Commercial in Poland and it doesn't have any issue.

And I also know a lot of business owner that have VW Caddy with no issues since new.

If VW Commercial can do it, I am not sure why VW can't do it. :?
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 pm I don't think your dealer doing a PDI would drive the car around the roads, it's an in garage inspection, so a loose clip wouldn't show up on the PDI.
While on the production line, it's the actual line that moves not the technicians, and the time is specified how long they have on their part of the build. So if they did drop a clip but could not find it, they cannot waste time looking for it, by the time they did find it, they could be two stations down, and would be in the way of the workers on the following stations.
I have worked in quite a few car plants putting robotic automation between machine tools, and the production lines do not stop for one person to find clips that have been dropped, if he or she finds the dropped clip so much the better.
I realise it's an inconvenience for an owner of a new car to have rattles, but they can be sorted and rectified.
I agree with you 100% that PDI will not pick up there is a clip in the tail gate. But my Polo also have multiple other issues since new, and those other issues shows a high possibilities the QC at the factory and the PDI at the dealer are both not doing their job properly, for more detail of the issues visit the link below:

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73721

I also used to work as an Electrical Engineer (I am also specialize in Control & Automation) in production line that run 24/7. From time to time I need to be the acting production manager as well. So, I fully understand the workers need to make production in a timely manner.

BUT when you have issues (E.G. Clips dropped inside the tailgate) that happen repeatedly. It is wise to solve the problem, but not thinking that this is another guy's problem.

The first thing that should be done is try to solve the problem on the "Human Level", such as the worker shouldn't drop the clips inside the tailgate the first place.
If solving the issue on the "Human Level" is not possible, then we move on and try to solve the problem on the "Machine / Design Level", such as asking the question why do we have to use a clip to fit an interior trim on the tail gate?... Why can't we change the design in such a way that there is no clips to be drop?... With the technologies nowadays, there are also many other ways to fit an interior trim that can make the production process "Idiot Prove" to avoid the issues to happen in the first place.

Any production line in the world that employ Engineers & Production Managers is for the purpose to solve problem, but not to accept a problem as a norm and expect another man to fix the problem that they created. This is the work ethics that I believe.

"Instead of always asking who will solve the problem, I will solve the problem."
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Toyota has that idea, that they Toyota employees whether it be production or management, must think of something that can improve the high standard of their machines, that's why Japanese car manufacturers are always improving the high standard and reliability of their cars.
Where as German cars are loosing their old status of being one of the best built and reliable cars, whether it be VW or Mercedes , both have lost their reputation for good reliability and workmanship. Audi and BMW, not heard the fall in standards with them two so much?
Smokey1
New
Drives: Polo Rline 95

Post by Smokey1 »

So I took the car for a long drive to see if it was the cold and the sound is still there. Its is a constant clicking from the glovebox/ passenger A pillar. Would a dealer fix the problem. I wouldn't mind if it was only on rough roads but it's literally any little change in the road and it clicks even on the smoothest roads in my area. The A pillar seems to have a scuff on it on the plastic on the inside near the window. No idea where from looks like mark from where the machine has installed it?. And the glass sealant looks shoddy in that area too protruding much more than the rest.