Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by S_94 »

Took the car into VW yesterday. Went for a drive with the technician and of course it didn't make the mooing noise (maybe because I had been driving for an hour).

I showed him the video posted on here of the noise. Straight away he said they'll order new pads/discs. No mention of a software update. Have to go back in two weeks to get the parts fitted.

No idea if this will solve this issue...
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Post by Rocky5 »

Hi Guys,
I had my GTI replaced with new pads and software update to resolve the noise issue few weeks ago. I am afraid the problem still persists!!!
Guess I will have to book the car with different dealer to see if they can solve the problem.
jfdouce
New
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI

Post by jfdouce »

@Rocky5,

So you got the discs and pads changed and a software update? And that still did not solve it?

I got the same done to my car back in August I think but I thought by reading this thread lately that maybe the software update at the time was not the latest.

Reading your post now makes me think that maybe VW does not have a fix yet after all?

Anyone else has had the noise return?

Mine went away after the fix but came back after a few days. And it got louder by the day.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Listers Stratford upon Avon sorted mine. Curious as to why my car remains fixed and some of you are experiencing problems again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

I had new pads a little while back which sorted the problem but they said they couldn't find any update. I have noticed this week that the sound is returning sometimes, weather plays it's part, but it has also made the noise going forward and backwards with no foot on the brake, so they are definitely dragging which I reckon is "polishing/glazing" the pads and causing this, I might be massively wrong though.......
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

MilgeS wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 pm I had new pads a little while back which sorted the problem but they said they couldn't find any update. I have noticed this week that the sound is returning sometimes, weather plays it's part, but it has also made the noise going forward and backwards with no foot on the brake, so they are definitely dragging which I reckon is "polishing/glazing" the pads and causing this, I might be massively wrong though.......
The abs software update was applied to my vehicle so it is out there but probably hasnt reached your dealer yet.
Rocky5
New
Drives: POLO GTI Plus (2019)

Post by Rocky5 »

Hi,
It just make me wonder whether VW is using inferior quality pads and disks to save costs! It's no secret that VW is pursuing deep cut to it's cost base
due to all the fines they paid for the diesal gate fiasco.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Rocky5 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm Hi,
It just make me wonder whether VW is using inferior quality pads and disks to save costs! It's no secret that VW is pursuing deep cut to it's cost base
due to all the fines they paid for the diesal gate fiasco.
its a six letter swear word called PROFIT :P
Dannn_14
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Dannn_14 »

Hi guys,

I’ve got the same problem with my GTI+ that I picked up brand new earlier this year: https://youtu.be/w4Az_gVdnnU

I’ve been to the garage, they’ve applied the software update, but still no fix. They’re refusing to replace the brake pads/discs because they’ve been told by VW UK ‘it won’t fix the issue’.

Wondering if anyone else had this same response and what they did???

I’m ringing VW UK in the next couple of days so I’ll keep you posted on how I get on. The car is less than 6 months old, but don’t know where I’d stand with regards to rejecting the car.

But as others have said, the noise is horrific. Apparently it happens on t-rocs and golfs too... not great from VW.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Dannn_14 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 pm Hi guys,

I’ve got the same problem with my GTI+ that I picked up brand new earlier this year: https://youtu.be/w4Az_gVdnnU

I’ve been to the garage, they’ve applied the software update, but still no fix. They’re refusing to replace the brake pads/discs because they’ve been told by VW UK ‘it won’t fix the issue’.

I’m ringing VW UK in the next couple of days so I’ll keep you posted on how I get on. The car is less than 6 months old, but don’t know where I’d stand with regards to rejecting the car.

But as others have said, the noise is horrific. Apparently it happens on t-rocs and golfs too... not great from VW.
Would be great if you keep us updated.

Mine is going in next Friday for new pads/discs but I'm not hopeful it'll solve the issue. Noise is getting worse in this weather as well.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dannn_14 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 pm Hi guys,

I had the software fix but no new pads or discs. It hasn't 100% cured the mooing, but I'd say it only happens 20% of the time now.

Didn't happen on my 2 MK7 Golfs but the rear ventilated discs on my Golf R were awful for cosmetic corrosion on the disc hubs from day 1of ownership.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

So I'm guessing the majority of the dealerships in the UK have no idea what the issue is and are guessing when recommending changed the pads/discs + software update?

The noise is really irritating me now and shouldn't be happening on a brand new car. What are the options if they can't sort it?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm So I'm guessing the majority of the dealerships in the UK have no idea what the issue is and are guessing when recommending changed the pads/discs + software update?

The noise is really irritating me now and shouldn't be happening on a brand new car. What are the options if they can't sort it?
As a number of owners have experienced this issue and have had disc / pads changed, plus a software update, I dare say it’s VW that have instructed dealers to take these actions, rather than dealers guessing this is what needs to be done. VW may be guessing though 🤔.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

My dealership hadn't known of the issue until I presented with mine. They contacted VW UK who were in touch with Germany. Pads and software update.
Is it just some sort of fluke that mine remains fixed?! Passage of time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

I used to work in the motor trade over a decade ago (motor vehicle tech) and I experienced many different faults on cars (a French brand in this instance). We had hundreds of “product enhancements” that we could apply to fix all sorts of issues.
I think if enough polo owners are having issues that a fix will be found in a reasonable time.
We did have a similar problem on one French vehicle, this was rectified by a shim kit on the pads to stop the resonance of the pad against the caliper carrier. Also another where the pad material was changed to stop unwanted noises.
Unfortunately there were times when the manufacturers didn’t have a clue and we were left in limbo! Thankfully this was very rare though, Usually just one off spurious problems.
It’s really annoying, but hang in there and I’m confident that a fix will be found!