Do I have Sport Select Suspension?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Do I have Sport Select Suspension?

Post by Nodster »

Hey all

Just picked up my Polo GTI before Christmas and slowly been having a look over the last few days at all the settings, etc. I've been reading this forum about Sport Select Suspension and I was a bit confused. Some people say, you can't get it in the UK (I certainly can't see it listed as an option by VW) and others saying all GTI's have this as standard? I've attached a picture of the settings screen which I have. Do I have Sport Select Suspension? Or is this option the same on everyone elses GTI lol? :oops:

I know it seems daft not knowing what my car has, but it was an ex-demo from the garage and my only two main requirements were for it to have the digital dash and the upgraged alloy wheels (which it does). Not bothered about heated seats, or climate control, etc. :) I thought it might show any options potentially on the order invoice; but it doesn't. So I'm just finding out as I go.

Thanks all.
James
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Do I have Sport Select Suspension?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

If there is a button near the gear lever then yes... its the second one from the top of the row that turns esc off.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Hi James,

Looking at your photo there is a line just above reset saying “sport select” suspen and it’s set to sport. Is this not it?
Nodster
Getting There!

Post by Nodster »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:44 pm Hi James,

Looking at your photo there is a line just above reset saying “sport select” suspen and it’s set to sport. Is this not it?
Hi, yeah that's what I was thinking. I was just wanting to check that this isn't an entry available on all GTI's and I'm not getting ahead of myself. So do we think my car has this then? I was worried that the option was there on the screen but it doesn't do anything unless you have the correct dampers fitted.

Thanks.
Nodster
Getting There!

Post by Nodster »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:44 pm If there is a button near the gear lever then yes... its the second one from the top of the row that turns esc off.
I have a button to turn of ESC, turn off Stop / Start and to select Drive Modes. I don't think any of these are for Sport Select Suspension though. I was just wanting to see if the picture I provided proved I had it installed or not.

Thanks
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

It’s standard on UK spec GTI and GTI+ models. From the price list brochure (page 12 - items of standard equipment);

‘Sports suspension, lowered by approx. 15mm, including Sports select adaptive shock absorption – allows choice of two preset modes: Normal and Sport’

@Nodster; it’s selectable from the menu you have displayed on your infotainment screen in the picture you posted above - under ‘Sport Select’ suspen., you’ll have a choice of ‘Sport’ or ‘Normal’. If your car didn’t have Sport Select suspension, then I’d expect the ‘Sport Select’ suspen. item in the menu to either be greyed out and not accessible, or not there at all. I’d say you should definitely notice a difference between the two settings - the difference in ride firmness between Sport and Normal has been commented on by other owners in various discussion threads.
Nodster
Getting There!

Post by Nodster »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:05 pm It’s standard on UK spec GTI and GTI+ models. From the price list brochure (page 12 - items of standard equipment);

‘Sports suspension, lowered by approx. 15mm, including Sports select adaptive shock absorption – allows choice of two preset modes: Normal and Sport’

@Nodster; it’s selectable from the menu you have displayed on your infotainment screen in the picture you posted above - under ‘Sport Select’ suspen., you’ll have a choice of ‘Sport’ or ‘Normal’. If your car didn’t have Sport Select suspension, then I’d expect the ‘Sport Select’ suspen. item in the menu to either be greyed out and not accessible, or not there at all. I’d say you should definitely notice a difference between the two settings - the difference in ride firmness between Sport and Normal has been commented on by other owners in various discussion threads.
Thanks. That's great, just what I wanted to know. :D
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Have a look at this YouTube video. Joe Knight is a forum member and works for a VW dealership. Sport Select suspension is covered from 9min 6sec to 9min 50sec in the video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmvaDvd0PA
Nodster
Getting There!

Post by Nodster »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm Have a look at this YouTube video. Joe Knight is a forum member and works for a VW dealership. Sport Select suspension is covered from 9min 6sec to 9min 50sec in the video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmvaDvd0PA
Fantastic, that's really helpful.
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

As has already been said you definitely have it. You have the ability to switch between the two suspension settings in "Individual" mode a per your photo. Just click on the down arrow on the right side and a drop down shows you the two options.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I use individual mode with everything set to Sport except engine noise (Eco) to mute the Soundaktor and Suspension set to Normal.
Nodster
Getting There!

Post by Nodster »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:28 pm I use individual mode with everything set to Sport except engine noise (Eco) to mute the Soundaktor and Suspension set to Normal.
Thanks - That's what I think I'll try also. 8)
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

Not sure if you know but you can cycle through the options by keep pressing the Mode button (on central console). This is my preferred way of changing as it avoids navigating the touch screen while driving.

Also, if my car is anything to go by, GTI+ with Parker's, there is not a significant difference when moving from Normal to Sport. I came from the previous 6C GTI with the optional sport select dampers (Sport button on the dash). Switching to sport made a big difference in firming up the ride; so much so I rarely used it as the roads around here aren't that good. I put the current car in Sport more often than I did on the 6C.