GTI DSG creep

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

GTI DSG creep

Post by MattHGR »

So I've nearly got 100 miles on the clock now and I've noticed something when creeping forwards that seems a little off.

When I come off the brake, the car moves off in gear 1 and rises to around 4 or 5mph. It then jumps to gear 2 but stays at around the same speed.
Surely this means my car is now rubbing the clutch in second gear, as it should be nearer 8 or 9 mph if this was fully engaged.

Any ideas why the car does this ? Tried this on my flat street and it didn't try to fully engage second gear at all.

Is this normal, and could excessive creeping actually do harm to the lifespan of this clutch?
I must note, I am fully off the brake when creeping. I don't ride the brake and creep at the same time.

Thanks,
Matt
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: GTI DSG creep

Post by Andy Beats »

It does it to keep things smooth as first is very low and it could become jerky.
Many people prefer to 'lock' the car in first gear using the manual mode though.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

I think it's fine, I have known cars with 150k on them with the wet clutch DSG and not had any issues. My current car with the dry clutch DSG does it and it doesn't sound like the clutch is being slipped and I drive in traffic a lot with it (one of the main reasons I went for DSG).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Not sure which version of DSG my brother-in-law had in his Audi A6, but it was still fine after 184000 miles of taxi work.
As much as I hate DSG and won't ever have a car with it again, I can't knock is durability.
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

Thanks both for your replies.
Good to know it should be fine with this.
I may lock it into gear if I'm in a long line of rolling traffic, but good to know no harm should be done to it.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

It's because the first gear is practically non existent with standard software. I had my DSG in my previous three Skoda's adjusted so that the shifting moments in D are just a little later (goes far too quick in a DSG7); resulting also in a "real" first gear. I like the DSG6 in my GTI a lot better, but I might do the same when remapping of the ECU becomes possible and I would decide for a remap. Then I would get the DSG adjusted at the same time. It suits me fine as it is, but shifting in D could be somewhat later and in S it might be substantial sooner for my part.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

This mention of first being non-existent just reinforces my belief that these multi-speed gearboxes are just marketing bullcrap.
Like razor blade companies constantly coming out with 'one more blade'.
There's a multi-speed auto of some sort down our street, it's either a Merc or a BMW - I can't remember.
We're the end house and when you hear him pull into the main street, it's laughable how many gearchanges it goes through in just a short distance. :shock:
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Of course it is a stupid system in that regard. On the other hand it makes you unbeatable fast compared to hand gear when you're driving in the mountains on a road with hairpins at short intervals
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

Reviving this thread as I experienced something else with the DSG creep today.
Doubt it's an issue but would love to hear your thoughts.

Up until today, when I release the brake, the revs rise from 800rpm to 1000rpm and the car creeps forwards.

This evening on my way home from work, I noticed the car wasn't lifting it's revs anymore. So when I came off the brake, the car would creep but very slowly and the revs would sit at around 800.

It drove fine and sounded fine. Just the creep rpms seemed to be different.

After driving home like this, I cycled the ignition and the issue was gone...

Anyone else had this?
Don't think it was an issue of sorts, but would love to know if there was a reason for it.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Do you experience any kind of jerkiness in your DSG? Mine is acting up.
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

phillos wrote:Do you experience any kind of jerkiness in your DSG? Mine is acting up.
No jerkiness as such. Nothing different to normal anyway.

3rd to 2nd is a little odd, but I've got used to it.
Car prefers to feather second gear a lot when decelerating instead of fully engaging the gear.
I've tried locking it into second gear on deceleration, but the engine braking is very strong in this gear !
I believe it feathers second gear to stop the deceleration from engine braking from being so aggressive.
Had it from day one, and from what I can remember off the forum, it was fairly normal.

phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

MattHGR wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 pm
phillos wrote:Do you experience any kind of jerkiness in your DSG? Mine is acting up.

Car prefers to feather second gear a lot when decelerating instead of fully engaging the gear.
I've tried locking it into second gear on deceleration, but the engine braking is very strong in this gear !
I believe it feathers second gear to stop the deceleration from engine braking from being so aggressive.
Had it from day one, and from what I can remember off the forum, it was fairly normal.

My 1>2 is noticably harsher than all other gear changes. And it seems hesitant during braking (shifting down through the gears) all in D.
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

phillos wrote:
MattHGR wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 pm

My 1>2 is noticably harsher than all other gear changes. And it seems hesitant during braking (shifting down through the gears) all in D.
Find a private road and record the dashboard so we can see your speed, gear and revs. I imagine some of us here can tell you if it looks like the car is shifting odd.

Accelerate as you would, then come to a stop as you would, making sure the issues you are talking about actually happen for the video.

Cheers,
Matt