Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: Help! Rear wheel humming noise. Polo GTi

Post by johnpolo2 »

My dealership phoned me on Friday to say they've been chasing VW for a fix for this problem. They've been told that at the moment VW do not know how to remedy the problem. So good luck with the complaint.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

Noticed on my gti today while washing the wheels, the rear drivers side arch, the interior of the arch, not sure what its called but the stuff that catches all the dirt, on my drivers side its a weird shape and is only about 1/2" off touching my tyre...
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

brynteg73 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 pm Noticed on my gti today while washing the wheels, the rear drivers side arch, the interior of the arch, not sure what its called but the stuff that catches all the dirt, on my drivers side its a weird shape and is only about 1/2" off touching my tyre...
The wheel arch lining. If it's not touching the wheel, it's not the cause of the noise. Some are flares out if they haven't been fitted properly. Mine was very close to the wheel (5mm) on the rear drivers side, so I loosened off the securing screws and adjusted it in anticipation of swapping out my 215/40 R18 tyres to 225/40 R18s.
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

Ok mate thanks, mine is about 15-20mm away, just looked a bit weird when i noticed it compared to the passenger side, im not getting any noise , just wondered if this was the cause for some owners
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

Nodster wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:24 pm
Nodster wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm
johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:24 pm A few of us had a fix. Pads and software update. All fine for awhile then it returns.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Darn. :( Pads I suppose is a good shout, as if they are perhaps not releasing fully and the material is causing it but it sounds more like a resonance issue for the sound being made (i.e not a squeak or a squeal usually associated with a pad material). I wonder if something isn't lubricated correctly and therefore there is vibration causing the noise. I have some Brembo B-Quiet lube (btw amazing stuff) but I just don't see why I should bother taking it all apart to re-grease when the garage should. I might ask them.

Thanks.
Finally booked in, Monday 27th. Let's see how this goes. I'm not holding out much hope. If it comes back the same I'll strip it down myself. Interestingly I've noticed that when softly braking in reverse, if I fully release the brake, the noise continues for a few seconds later. As if, something is still making contact or slow to fully release. But why only in reverse? :|
Got the car back tonight, unfortunately no it is not fixed. The dealership confirmed though that VW are aware (apparently) but as of yet have no fix. They said they could try replacing pads and disc but it would cost me. I said I'd rather do it myself in that case. But they said it could be if there is slight rust on the edge / lip of the disc - but I've certainly never seen that cause this noise before (grinding - yes, but a fog horn moo, definitely not).

But they gave the car a health check and a wash.

Sorry all - no further insights from me at least.
Dannn_14
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Dannn_14 »

Sad to say that just 2 months after replacing the pads and disks, the mooing noise has started to come back on my car...

My car was due for a service today, so I mentioned it to a technician at the dealership whilst I was there, and they're aware of the issue and said that she'd dealt with 2 cars in the past month with the same issue. Like us, they're waiting for Volkswagen to come up with a fix, but I can't imagine that'll be any time soon...

She mentioned it was an issue with the callipers.
JacobNorton
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ ordered

Post by JacobNorton »

I pick up my new Polo GTI+ in 3 weeks, is this noise really bad or just an inconvenience?
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

A minor inconvenience tbh...mine does it too but I will just be mentioning it when I'm dropping it in for it's 1st service. I certainly wouldn't be back and forth to the garage over it.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

fletch555 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:45 pm A minor inconvenience tbh...mine does it too but I will just be mentioning it when I'm dropping it in for it's 1st service. I certainly wouldn't be back and forth to the garage over it.
I don’t own a current model GTI/GTI+ (yet!), so cant relate to how loud this humming / mooing noise is or how it might affect the ownership experience, but I’d probably also just treat it as a minor inconvenience too, until I had another reason to visit the dealer.

I wonder how many owners would ‘just live with it’ and also treat it as a minor inconvenience if it started doing it for the first time outside the warranty period - assuming it doesn’t affect the car’s braking performance.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

I own the GTI+ and reported the mooing noise within a month of owning the car last year. I've found that over the year the noise has got progressively worse so much so that it turns people's heads when I'm reversing.

Quite frankly if you are paying over 25k for this car why should you have to put up with that kinda noise.. (just my opinion)

Each person has their own opinion of what is acceptable but for me it's a no no..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Mine makes often makes a noise when reversing but it doesn't really bother me.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm
fletch555 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:45 pm A minor inconvenience tbh...mine does it too but I will just be mentioning it when I'm dropping it in for it's 1st service. I certainly wouldn't be back and forth to the garage over it.
I don’t own a current model GTI/GTI+ (yet!), so cant relate to how loud this humming / mooing noise is or how it might affect the ownership experience, but I’d probably also just treat it as a minor inconvenience too, until I had another reason to visit the dealer.

I wonder how many owners would ‘just live with it’ and also treat it as a minor inconvenience if it started doing it for the first time outside the warranty period - assuming it doesn’t affect the car’s braking performance.
For me it is a minor inconvenience. It's sort of fixed on mine (reduced incidence by about 90%). My wife's GTI+ does it, but its had no other reason to go to the dealership yet, so until the 1st service is due in May, it'll not get sorted. Too much hassle booking into the dealership and leaving the car with them a day for such a minor thing on its own.

I would definitely live with it out of warranty and facing a £200 bill if the brakes were otherwise fine.

It happens on other marques and models - it's not just a Polo thing or a VW thing.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should sort it, but right now, with no effective fix, you'll have a wasted day at the garage if you bring the car in just for that.

Would be hard to justify a rejection on the strength of this temporary noise while in reverse.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Vonbek2004 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:02 pm I own the GTI+ and reported the mooing noise within a month of owning the car last year. I've found that over the year the noise has got progressively worse so much so that it turns people's heads when I'm reversing.

Quite frankly if you are paying over 25k for this car why should you have to put up with that kinda noise.. (just my opinion)

Each person has their own opinion of what is acceptable but for me it's a no no..

Agreed.

Yes it's a mild inconvenience but when people are staring at your car when reversing out of a spot because the noise is so loud it's a little embarrassing. Especially when the car is only 9 months old.

Also when you have people in the car saying 'what's that noise' or, 'that doesn't normal' it's not great.
rm55mcc
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4

Post by rm55mcc »

So i have just discovered i have the wonderful sound as well , after washing car put into reverse and there it was and its extremely loud [emoji2359]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Post by Vonbek2004 »

rm55mcc wrote:So i have just discovered i have the wonderful sound as well , after washing car put into reverse and there it was and its extremely loud [emoji2359]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.. sometimes it can also be after a long journey too..

As someone said to me.
"Welcome to VW" [emoji1751][emoji1751][emoji17]