Quick poll on alloys- Parkers or Brescias

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: Quick poll on alloys- Parkers or Brescias

Post by Trantor »

When I placed my order I was torn between either wheel. In the end practicality won out and chose Parker’s as they’re easier to clean. A secondary consideration was the Michelin tyre that came with them in preference to the Bridgestone’s. Another consideration was the tyre aspect ratio as being slightly deeper would, in theory, likely give a slightly more compliant ride.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

ShortyONL wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:14 pm
stuartrendall wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:49 am I've specc'd mine with the Parkers. I agree the Brescia's look better however from what I have seen tyres are cheaper for the smaller alloy and being young I dont want to be forking out too much for tyres, also I plan on changing the alloys after a while as I dont like the look of diamond cut alloys.
Similar to yourself, ordered the Parkers and then spent 2-3 days regretting that choice but then hoping ride quality, tyre price etc will win overall.
I plan on changing them not long after my car arrives to 17's also with the same size tyre probably. Plus in the midlands larger alloys are a terrible idea with all these potholes. I heard VW alloys are prone to cracking too but I am not sure how true this is. I've only had one experience of a broken VW alloy and that's when it met a roundabout kerb at 40mph.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stuartrendall wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:00 am I heard VW alloys are prone to cracking too but I am not sure how true this is. I've only had one experience of a broken VW alloy and that's when it met a roundabout kerb at 40mph.
The only VW alloys where there seems to be an issue are the 19” Pretoria’s that were an option on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf R and GTI Clubsport models.

A few forum members on VWROC.com and golfgtiforum.co.uk have had issues with buckled and / or cracked Pretoria alloys - they’re lightweight, but do seem to be quite prone to damage from potholes and other impact damage. They’re expensive to replace too; from memory, they cost around £800 each from the VW dealer if you need to buy a replacement 😯.

I’ve not heard of any other VW alloys where buckling or cracking is an issue.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Brescia Wheels makes the car dimensions look bigger different and 17 Parker’s tend to look like a R Line Polo Sometimes.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Never had a bother with Pretorias buckling or cracking, although when my wife scraped one 3 years into my R's ownership, when I took it for refurbishment, I found out that it had been previously refurbished, despite my R being a factory order for me as a "brand new" car.

Someone must've scraped the wheel in transit and had it repaired before delivery to me!
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Well I drove the model with Brescias and found the car really smooth and comfortable for me to seal the deal. Car way better than my old 6c GTI! Luck me there is a car at stage 10 that they added my options to so only about 3.5 months to wait 😆
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

I've got the Parkers on mine. Didn't have much choice as my car was from dealer stock and they didn't have any with Brescias that had the other options I wanted in the group at the time (I was impatient and had an aging car that had to go :lol: )!

I'm pleased with them though, ride quality is smooth and I like that they're a bit more understated. Just down to personal taste I guess!
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Yep the car is great whatever the wheels chosen. I drove a 69 plate car that was the exact car I wanted at the same price I paid for a brand new one. It was daft though that the cost of the nearly new one was far more expensive to buy on finance than a brand new one due to the lack of competitive pcp finance on used cars!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

tom.wright wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:48 am I've got the Parkers on mine.

I like that they're a bit more understated.
Seconded.
They're less fussy looking and I prefer that.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

I reckoned the 18s would be pointless on today's roads. Just more expensive rubber on a harder ride.

The 17s have been fine and we're actually running 16" winters right now.

All is good.
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

Parker's imo, Road noise is a big thing for me , and they are very easy to keep clean ... look fine ...

Plus all the local Painters , Builders etc here who drive Vw Vans seem to have Brescias fitted....
Last edited by brynteg73 on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Boxerboy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 pm I reckoned the 18s would be pointless on today's roads. Just more expensive rubber on a harder ride.

The 17s have been fine and we're actually running 16" winters right now.

All is good.
Some might consider the Winters expensive rubber, depending upon where you live. Up Newcastle way, we've only had 3 sub zero days this winter, and the roads are well gritted. I couldn't justify Winter wheels on the basis of how bad the last 3 winters have been. If I lived up the sticks where roads don't get gritted or way up in central/northern Scotland, I might think differently. The Michelins are still well behaved around freezing.

With suspension select on "normal", 18" wheels give a fine ride but it does depend on what you're used to - I found my Golf R on 19" Pretorias with stock (non-adjustable) suspension to be fine.

Regardless of the design, the Parkers look tiny on the Polo IMO.
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

I’d agree with that. The Parkers looked too small in my view in the wheel arches and the Brescia to me were a fine ride even in sport suspension with less noise than I was expecting. I found the ride far smoother and controlled both in primary and secondary ride than my 6C GTi. Also far far better than my Octavia VRS with 19” low profile wheels with no DCC. That was hard, bouncy and noisy. All about what you are used to and feel comfortable with and the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on the same :D
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Post by raysablade »

My wifes factory order came with Brecias and I asked her this morning if she regretted asking the dealer change them for the smaller Parkers. At the time she liked the idea of improved ride comfort and if she could:
  • have something she didn't hate,
    get that for less money, especially considering the cost of repacement tyres on the Brescia, and
    make somebody else happy with the swap
it was nothing but good.

She hasnt changed her mind, has noticed how well the Primacy tyres work in wet weather and interstersingly suspects that most women who care about their car's asthetics would want you to focus on what the colour of their car said about them. They wouldn't want you to notice the wheels.

On reflection that surprised me :wink:
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

That red gti with the parkers just looks fantastic. The Brescia are a bargain for the upgrade cost but I personally prefer the look of the parkers and I’d make the same decision on a golf gti.

My only issue is I want a red gti, my darling daughter wants me to get the blue and my inner detailer wants the white to hide swirl marks!