Alloy wheel scuff repair.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member
Drives: R Line Polo

Alloy wheel scuff repair.

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Hey all.
Really disheartening news for me today.. I clipped the kerb today and scuffed my Brecsias. [emoji17][emoji17]

Anyone know if this can be repaired or am I going to need to get it repaired professionally and if so what costs would I be looking at .

Thanks all.Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Alloy wheel scuff repair.

Post by monkeyhanger »

You're talking £80 minimum to refurb that. With a diamond cut alloy, you're basically paying for someone to shave a layer of metal on a lathe, down to the point that the scuff is removed. You can only do this twice per wheel - there's only so much metal you can remove without compromising wheel integrity. Then it gets re-lacquered.

Shouldn't happen to mine or my wife's car as the Michelin PS4 tyre has such a big lip, but if it does, the offending set will be powder coated rather than lathed.
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

monkeyhanger wrote:You're talking £80 minimum to refurb that. With a diamond cut alloy, you're basically paying for someone to shave a layer of metal on a lathe, down to the point that the scuff is removed. You can only do this twice per wheel - there's only so much metal you can remove without compromising wheel integrity. Then it gets re-lacquered.

Shouldn't happen to mine or my wife's car as the Michelin PS4 tyre has such a big lip, but if it does, the offending set will be powder coated rather than lathed.
Thanks.
It's just so annoying!!

What would you say is the maximum I should pay for a repair like that.. I only ask as I've never had to refurb alloys before.

I have been looking into the PS4s on the advice of the forum, just waiting for the tyre change. [emoji3]

When you mention about the PS4s is that an increased lip on the tyre edge, as I think I had that bigger lip on our Scirocco but those ones didn't seem very hardy concerning potholes, they weren't PS4 on the Scirocco.

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

It can definitely be repaired.

You should be expecting to pay somewhere in the region of £80 - £90 plus VAT for a good quality refurbishment.

For a top quality refurb on an 18” diamond cut alloy, you’re probably looking at £90 plus VAT. Some refurb companies will also charge extra to remove and refit the tyre. If it was me, I’d want a top quality job done, rather than thinking in terms of the maximum price I should be paying - a cheap repair could mean a poor quality job, which could lead to premature onset of white worm corrosion, which would then require a second refurb to remove it.

Lepsons are reputed to be one of the best refurb companies and get good reviews by members on other VW forums who’ve had the misfortune to scuff their wheels. Link to the prices section of their website below;

https://www.lepsons.com/prices/
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

And just to give you an idea of what's involved in the repair > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6kWa3UWrEQ
Vonbek2004
Bronze Member

Post by Vonbek2004 »

Thanks all.. it's good to know there is light [emoji16][emoji3]

Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the damage to the wheel.

I used the company below who refurbished my diamond cut alloy for £110 including vat. There are a number of companies who do similar work in your area, but as ever it’s always worth checking them out first.

https://www.premierwheelrepairs.com/

Good luck
Chungster
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI SEL DSG

Post by Chungster »

As you’re in MK, try Little Knox maybe

https://www.littleknox.co.uk/#/alloy-wheels/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

I've repaired wheels worst than that. Take the wheel off. Tape up the rim and tyre leaving the scuff and a bit more visible so that you dont mark any more of the rim, then with varying grades of wet and dry carefully sand away until the marks have gone, remove the tape and polish the rim with very fine w & d, but in the direction of the diamond cutting. Mask up the wheel and spray several light coats of clear lacquer. Remove tape leave to dry for at least 24 hours and polish the edges the area you just painted to blend in.