MOT prep

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

MOT prep

Post by Bepis »

Getting my MOT done at the end of the month and everything is fine with the car other than the check engine light coming on at least once a week for the B1S1 o2 sensor.

Codes I get are:
P0130 lambda B1 S1 malfunction in circuit
P0130 lambda B1 S1 malfunction in circuit intermittent
P1103 lambda sensor heating B1 S1 performance too low intermittent
P0133 lambda sensor B1 S1 response too slow.

After reading this thread I have already replaced most of the items mentioned.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73570&hilit=catalytic+converter

Only items that I haven't replaced or cleaned/checked related to emissions control are the MAP sensor, B1S2 o2 sensor, EGR system, fuel injectors, and PCV system.

I do seem to have a fair amount of oil dilution (got around 3,000 miles out of Castrol edge 5W-30 before I started to get tappet noise, once drained and refilled with the same, the noise went) accompanied by an oil level that gradually decreases, however, there is no smoke or leaks.

I think something is wrong with the B1S1 loom as it has done this with a new Bosch sensor and the new NTK sensor that is fitted, but it seems to like the NTK one more as it's now once a week rather than every 3-4 days the light comes on. I also think the catalytic converter that was fitted when I had it replaced just isn't all that good and I can't seem to find any used, genuine ones anywhere.

My questions are:
How would I test the B1S1 loom? Where could I source a used genuine cat(I was thinking potentially a wreckers)? Is my oil dilution simply down to an old engine with worn rings or could there be something else at play? What brand of MAP sensor should I go for if I were to replace it as I can't find any Magneti Marelli ones (new or used)? Could I potentially have a dodgy B1S2 o2 sensor as I can't find any records of it being replaced?

This will also be my first MOT so any tips or what I should expect?

Any help is much appreciated :)