How hard do you drive your GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ChrisEdw
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

How hard do you drive your GTI?

Post by ChrisEdw »

How do people typically drive their GTI's? How often do you get involved in the traffic light grand prix's? Or do you save your power for the B roads!? :P
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: How hard do you drive your GTI?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

It all depends for me really but if I had to put it in percentage, 90% daily 10% robot race car.
My vehicle is set to "Individual" mode with everthing in comfort except Engine / Steering in Sport.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

90% gentle and 10% sporty.
I commute to work 5 days a week in traffic. Sometimes I get the opportunity to open it up to 50mph, but that lasts a few seconds at most.
The rest of the commute is slow and gentle.

At the weekend I might head out for a more fun drive. Though, it's probably quite good to push the engine every now and again, for both me and the car !

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Same as Matt.

If the roads were in a better condition over here I'd probably put my foot down more.
ChrisEdw
New
Drives: 2018 GTI

Post by ChrisEdw »

S_94 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:52 pm Same as Matt.

If the roads were in a better condition over here I'd probably put my foot down more.
I take it your from the UK? Im in the midlands and the roads are full of potholes etc!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

ChrisEdw wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:11 pm
S_94 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:52 pm Same as Matt.

I take it your from the UK? Im in the midlands and the roads are full of potholes etc!
Yep! Exactly the same here. And speed bumps everywhere. :evil:
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

like I stole it ... :D one pair of front tyres is KO already ...
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Car is set in Individual with everything in Sport except sound, suspension and DSG. Remapped (270 HP/440 Nm). I drive it gently most of the time. I press the pedal on acceleration lanes, sometimes when overtaking and when the highway gets clear after some hold up. A few times a year I have some fun when visiting our eastbound neighbours (I am Dutch)
Last edited by Rosinfield on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:38 pm It all depends for me really but if I had to put it in percentage, 90% daily 10% robot race car.
My vehicle is set to "Individual" mode with everthing in comfort except Engine / Steering in Sport.
I have the exact opposite than you :D
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

I don't drive it hard, but sometimes I like to remind myself that I bought a GTI and put my foot down a little bit!

That said, I feel you really don't need to drive it hard to make it go. It's got such a big lazy engine in it for a relatively light car, and so much low down torque that you can easily break the speed limit without even realizing it! :lol:
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I like to get up to my desired speed quickly, then drive intelligently to maintain my momentum and avoid excessive braking.

I come off the gas early to decelerate towards a junction/roundabout or if a few cars ahead of the one directly in front of me has a reason to slow.

So although I put my foot down, overall I have quite an economical driving style.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I am still 'breaking in' my car so most of the time its a split between eco and normal just wafting but when it comes to b roads to get to family members homes I knock it into sport and take it to 3500 maybe 4000rpm through the gears bit I am sure once I hit the 1000miles I will be much more of an adolescent idiot :D
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

Similar to others I suppose. Normal most of the time and Sport the rest. I've given all the modes a try. Eco is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned; I did buy a GTI after all! When I've set up Individual I've ended up setting it the same as Sport. I've come from a 6C GTI and Sport mode in the AW is about the same as Normal in the 6C. Every now and then I go for a 40-50 mile drive just for the fun of it, set to Sport all the way. For those that know it, going up Zig Zag and Spread Eagle hills in Dorset is a fun drive :)
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I don't feel the need to flirt between modes, there are no real fuel gains to be had driving in normal mode (engine) with the gearbox in D mode vs Sport mode (engine) and gearbox in D mode - all normal does is blunt the throttle response. Gearbox in in S mode is another matter - holding onto the lower gears a lot longer in low to mid throttle is wasteful and unnecessary. Unless you're really putting your foot down, you don't need to hold on to that lower gear.

My car stays in individual mode with everything set to Sport except engine noise (Soundaktor) set to eco and suspension set to normal. Gearbox is in D mode.
YehaviBourvine
New

Post by YehaviBourvine »

Most of the time I place the gearbox in S mode. I have a "light foot", so when driving in D mode it upshifts too early, the engine does not run smoothly. In S mode it sometimes unpshifts quite late, so I use the flippers to "help it" upshift.
When the engine is cold I usually set to manual mode to keep the engine in 1500-2500 RPM range.

__Yehavi: