Dashcams

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Dashcams

Post by S_94 »

Hey guys,

Does anyone have some good dashcam recommendations in the £100-150 bracket?

Cheers :)
roakley
New
Drives: GTI Plus

Re: Dashcams

Post by roakley »

Nextbase every time! - must have GPS!
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

I have these Viofo in both my cars, great camera and functions plus the benefit of front and rear

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

MilgeS wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 pm I have these Viofo in both my cars, great camera and functions plus the benefit of front and rear

The measure of a decent dashcam is whether it'll take decent footage in low light, rain or night time situations, good enough to read a number plate. Many can't. Most of these sub £200 dashcams have ok basic electronics but crap lenses and image processing. If it doesn't have tech like Sony Exmor processing and lenses from a manufacturer you've heard of, like Sony, Olympus or Leica, I'd be looking to spend a bit more.

I'd also be looking for parking monitoring function.

If you're only spending £120 on a dashcam and at least £20 of that is wasted on a superfluous LCD screen, it won't be that good in all but the best lighting situations.

Overheating protection is something I'd also be looking out for - had a supposedly decent Backvue 650 fry itself because it's susceptible to overheating in use.

Have Thinkware F770 dual cam in both of our cars, still going strong at 4 years old. Worth paying the extra for a decent one that will last and be capable in all driving conditions.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Have a look at this site for more information

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams

He gives a good biased opinion.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:41 am
MilgeS wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 pm I have these Viofo in both my cars, great camera and functions plus the benefit of front and rear

The measure of a decent dashcam is whether it'll take decent footage in low light, rain or night time situations, good enough to read a number plate. Many can't. Most of these sub £200 dashcams have ok basic electronics but crap lenses and image processing. If it doesn't have tech like Sony Exmor processing and lenses from a manufacturer you've heard of, like Sony, Olympus or Leica, I'd be looking to spend a bit more.

I'd also be looking for parking monitoring function.

If you're only spending £120 on a dashcam and at least £20 of that is wasted on a superfluous LCD screen, it won't be that good in all but the best lighting situations.

Overheating protection is something I'd also be looking out for - had a supposedly decent Backvue 650 fry itself because it's susceptible to overheating in use.

Have Thinkware F770 dual cam in both of our cars, still going strong at 4 years old. Worth paying the extra for a decent one that will last and be capable in all driving conditions.
I find the video quality of these very good, day and night, I also believe you can have parking monitoring if it's hard-wired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwyveEDoWw
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I've seen some which look a lot more 'factory', which integrate in around the sensor cluster on the windscreen looking a bit like the auto high beam setup that some cars have. Anyone got a good recommendation on those?
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Thanks guys.

Will stick with Nextbase as the reviews are good and the pricing isn't bad either.
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

I opted for a Kenwood DRV410. Dealer fitted it before I collected the car. Seems OK.
https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/c ... w/DRV-410/
T8PDN
New

Post by T8PDN »

I've installed the Blackvue DR750S 2ch with the blackvue b-124 battery pack, its awesome I can view my camera live while it's being driven also I can track the vehicle, I've also installed a EE wifi hot spot. I have 18hours of recording during parking mode with every charge.
GTI Polo Fin
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019

Post by GTI Polo Fin »

T8PDN wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 pm I've installed the Blackvue DR750S 2ch with the blackvue b-124 battery pack, its awesome I can view my camera live while it's being driven also I can track the vehicle, I've also installed a EE wifi hot spot. I have 18hours of recording during parking mode with every charge.
I just bought a Blackvue camera set. Already installed the front camera, but I don’t know what would be the best way to install rear camera.
How did you install the rear camera? Pictures?
T8PDN
New

Post by T8PDN »

I'll post pictures in the morning buddy
GTI Polo Fin
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019

Post by GTI Polo Fin »

T8PDN wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:34 am I'll post pictures in the morning buddy
Still waiting 😃
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Just bought Garmin 66W. So small compared to my old nextbase and images very good.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Just be aware some record your speed, may be something you wouldnt want the Bill to see.