Should not drive and can't' get service. Advice please!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Should not drive and can't' get service. Advice please!

Post by JohnF »

Can't get my service and not supposed to drive my Polo (over 70). What should I do?

My plan is to drive the car out of the garage regularly so as not to keep the weight on the same place on the tyres all the time. Then I'll run the engine for a few minutes to keep the oil moving in all the right places.

Is there anything else I should do to avoid future issues?

What about the annoying service reminder on the dashboard? Implications?

Has anyone been contacted by their VW service garage to offer advice as to what to in these strange times?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Should not drive and can't' get service. Advice please!

Post by monkeyhanger »

JohnF wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 pm Can't get my service and not supposed to drive my Polo (over 70). What should I do?

My plan is to drive the car out of the garage regularly so as not to keep the weight on the same place on the tyres all the time. Then I'll run the engine for a few minutes to keep the oil moving in all the right places.

Is there anything else I should do to avoid future issues?

What about the annoying service reminder on the dashboard? Implications?

Has anyone been contacted by their VW service garage to offer advice as to what to in these strange times?
If you go out for a drive without coming into contact with anyone, while you do so, can't see any harm in your over 70s strategy of keeping Corona safe.

How regularly do you plan on turning the car over? If you're worrying about tyres and keeping everywhere oiled in the engine, every fortnight should be enough for the tyres and ensuring the brake calipers don't seize and pads don't seize onto the discs/drums. Don't worry about the oil, it'll be sat in the sump after a day or after a month, until you start the car. If you go on holiday, do you have someone turning your car over every few days while you're away?

If the VW garage isn't open to service your car, they can't hold it against you that it hasn't been done to time schedule. You'll have to put up with the warnings until you do.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

Please have a look at the information from the VW web site.

If your vehicle is due any service, maintenance or repair work please contact your local retailer to discuss their availability and whether work can be delayed. They may be able to help with collection and delivery so that you do not have to visit the site, and will of course be following Government's guidelines on social-distancing and self-isolation. If your local retailer is closed, please contact our Customer Services Centre - details are available on our Contact Us webpages.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If this is your first service then your engine oil will be fully synthetic long life stuff they fill at the factory, good for up to around 18k miles if you'd chosen the flexible servicing regime for high milers.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Reading a few dealer web sites about the best action when the car needs servicing or repairs, they say call them. This way they have a record that you called should there be any pushback when things get back to normal.
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

Some good tips thanks. It is booked in for the 14th April. I did this about 10 days, so who knows what the situation is now. It's the 2nd service.

I got a call from VW HQ (i think) who where next to useless at advising me of my situation and how they could address it.
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

From JCT600 York

"Routine Servicing & Repair Appointments

All routine servicing and repair appointments are postponed and will be re-appointed in due course. You do not need to contact us, we will contact you at an appropriate point to re-schedule your booking"

Looks pretty clear now
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

As above, plus I drive to the shops and back at least every couple of days so the battery doesn't lose too much charge. I phoned the cops on 101 Non-Emergency number as I need to visit elderly relatives and it was confirmed we are 'permitted' to visit shops for food, chemist, bank and vulnerable folk, but trips to shops 'near the seaside & beauty spots' and the like are heavily frowned upon. Decide what is best for yourself, but it's probably best to stay in most of the time though I'd get food and / or that 'purchase of the moment' toilet roll every time on shopping trips in case of being stopped by the cops. I strongly reccomend wearing protective gloves (surgical gloves or those plastic gloves from petrol stations) and some face covering (facemask, scarf, etc). Stay clean, keep your distance, keep safe....
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

VW have put a 180 day grace period in place so you won’t invalidate the warranty by exceeding the service schedule.
JCT have given me a date of W/c 25/5/20 (the 25th is B/hol Monday) when normal service appointments are being scheduled
JohnF
Getting There!

Post by JohnF »

I've been given 5th May at JCT600 York for a pick up and deliver service. Not holding my breath though!