Executive barge to Polo GTi - daft idea?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MintyGTi
New
Drives: None

Executive barge to Polo GTi - daft idea?

Post by MintyGTi »

Is this a crazy idea?

At the end of the year, I'll be at the end of my contract for my 535D M Sport Touring, with an option to hang on to it if I want. Although I love the car (it's my third one), but my needs have really changed, so I have been looking around for something different. You can't beat the BM for performance and space, but it's not the best handling car (but good for a 2 tonne barge :D), is expensive to run and actually the ride isn't as super-smooth as you might expect on UK roads (even though it has adjustable dampers and I ditched the runflats after a week).

So if I change it, this is what I am thinking about:
  • Don't need such a big car any more
  • Would like something with better handling
  • Must be reasonably quick
  • Must have decent quality interior
  • Must be auto
  • Would like something with more character/fun
  • Must be capable of being comfortable/quiet/smooth on long journey
  • Would like to reduce costs
I've not driven the Polo GTi, but have had Golfs and other VW group cars in the past. Seems to me the Polo is good value given the engine and the kit on offer (GTi+) and seems to tick all the right boxes. Plus it is as big now as the Golfs I have had before...

So, I am thinking that a white GTi+, on 17", with climate, nav and rear view camera - you can tell I haven't thought about this much :wink: - might fit the bill but I am interested to hear from Polo GTi owners who have made similar changes, or drive the Polo alongside something akin to the BM?
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Re: Executive barge to Polo GTi - daft idea?

Post by Mike222 »

I have never owned a BM , but I have driven all sorts of cars including BM over the years (in a job connected to the motor trade )
Purchased a gti + , limestone grey , 17” , nav, climate, rear view camera !!! Back in October.
Previous car was a mk7 golf gt manual (the second one ). Like you I fancied a change.
I love the polo now , I did have reservations at first . The golf is a little more refined, and a bit bigger ( only a bit ) but the polo is much more fun , I am very old so don’t drive like a looney, but the car as the ability to make me smile , it’s quite high geared so is pretty relaxed on the motorway and the fuel economy is now worse than the golf .
It would be quite a radical change for you I feel, so make sure you test drive one , although , living with the car is different to a 20 minute blast .
MintyGTi
New

Post by MintyGTi »

Thanks - yeah I know this is a big change but TBH what I need a car for has changed dramatically as well.

Limestone grey was my first choice, except it is more-or-less the colour of my BM :roll:
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

The Polo GTI is so much fun, it is a car you will miss when you not driving it!

This car is practical for a small family and sporty when want to have fun.Light and Nimble for the quick round trips.
Drives very mature for a Hot Hatch.Feels like a bigger car.

Nice Sporty Exhaust which is quiet on long trips.I don't feel like the car needs more power, it is quick! Spins the wheels ...
Awesome technology for a small hot hatch. Active Info Display and Apple CarPlay my favourite features! Panoramic Sun Roof too.

Stay with 17inch Wheels and sport select.
18 inch Brescia Wheels can feel quite firm on bumpy roads and users have swopped the poorly grip Turanza Tyres for Michelins which improves the ride & grip.

Smaller Fuel Tank compared to BMW 535D, so i get 260 miles ( 420km) City Driving.
Long Motorways fuel consumption is better.

It is cheaper to fill up compared to my other SUV car, i am happy .GTI is the Best Car I have ever owned!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I'm in the same boat. I've had my Troc two years and it's a very capable car - loads of room for my golf stuff, very comfy, but after a golf GTD it just doesn't excite me. It's a 1.0tsi and although 45mpg isn't bad it's not quick enough and it's the little things it's missing that my wifes SE polo has or my last few cars had - all the hard plastics (even the top of the dash is soft in a polo), no engine cover as standard (polo has one), no LED/Xenon headlights, no lumbar support (ridiculous).

The golf is out the question for me now as a 1.5 R-line is the same price as a 118i Msport and I'd much rather have the BMW. The GTI plus ticks all the boxes - LEDs, Car Play, Active Info Display, Automatic, etc. I guess all you (and I) can do is test drive it and be brutally honest with ourselves. Yes, 30 minutes isn't reflective of years of driving the car, but my wife loves her polo far more than I love my t-roc!

Out of curiosity, has anyone driven the A1 S-line competition and compared it to the polo? I've read it's the more comfortable of the two for driving but the steering is more numb, plus £3k difference for the same car seems a lot.
MintyGTi
New

Post by MintyGTi »

I got some quotes for a few cars, including the A1 S-Line Comp, but even with the 'cooking' 150PS engine it was a good £3K more than the Polo (after discounts). Plus every review I've read/watched called out the firm ride in this trim. I personally don't like the looks as much as the Polo either - it's too aggressive IMHO (says the big BM M-Sport driver :oops:).

If the price creeps up then it makes sense to look at BMs and Golfs etc. The Polo GTi+ seems to be in a bit of a sweet spot right now, where you could go cheaper (Ibiza, but don't think the interior or looks are as nice), but going up you probably are looking at at least another £3-5K to get a similar all-round blend of qualities and spec.

The interesting one for me might be the i30 Fastback N when it gets auto later this year, but again you're back into a different price bracket and I start to question whether the switch is worth the money I potentially would save.

Right now, all roads seem to lead back to the Polo.
green justin
Bronze Member

Post by green justin »

Wow , I cannot believe a BMW 118i M Sport is similar pricing to the Golf 8 R Line.

In South Africa the BMW 118i M Sport basic spec is sold as premium hatch back and is quite expensive when compared to a fully upgraded R-Line Golf.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

A "40" Audi A1 was in contention before we hot our second GTI+, but apart from the marginally nicer front seats and the much better looking rear clusters, there was nothing else to justify the £4k price difference between the GTI+ and the A1 equivalent.

The Polo GTI+ is so good we got 2! We used to have a Golf R and A1 1.6TDI 116ps. The A1 went first because having a 3 door car was a PITA with 2 kids in the back.

So the wife's A1 went and the GTI+ was so much fun to drive, I let her drive the R and I kept the Polo. I decided later to get rid of the R, it was thirsty on the motorway due to low gearing but reasonable around town, and although blisteringly quick off the line, it was ultimately a bit boring to drive - the price you pay for high refinement and unflappable driving dynamics. It was approaching 4 years old and held its value well. I lost £10500 over 46 months in depreciation - astoundingly good value, but Golf prices over the last 2 years have got silly, a new R is £34k in basic spec discounted, mine cost £28k in 2015 with the £1000.Pretoria wheels, metallic paint and a 5 year factory warranty. I'd say that I'd lose £16k in 46 months if I bought a new one now.

So we looked around for something a little different, but ultimately cane back to the GTI+ and bought a second one. It's quick, exciting to drive, well equipped with bang up to date tech and us refined on the motorway - both quiet and comfortable.

I would advocate the 18" wheels though. Such a cheap upgrade and they complete the car. Not a fan of the Parkers design and they look tiny on the car. Ride isn't compromised if you get rid of the Flintstone tyres which are truly awful.

I've had 3 previous Golfs come on Bridgestones when new and it's just crazy to put up with crap tyres that totally compromise the car's abilities for 2 years (when you might only be keeping it 3 years if PCPing), for the sake of saving £300 when you've spent so much on the car and can't get the best out of it. It needn't be much of a cost to change if you do it quick enough. I got the Bridgestones off the 2nd GTI+ on the day it arrived. Sold them for £210 so the £320 set of PS4s was well subsidised and they make such a difference to the car.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Cheers for the feedback monkeyhanger. Green Justin you’re right, it’s insane, but on carwow both the r-line golf 8 and bmw 118i m sport are just over £24k with about £200 between them. VW are starting to get greedy now. They can’t sell many arteons as they are prices like an Audi, which is the same problem the cc had. I’m no badge snob, but if I can get an Audi or bmw for the same price I’m going to - they hold their value better in the uk and as a pcp buyer that changes every 2-3 years I have to consider that.

Once this Covid situation is resolved I’ll go test the gti+ vs the 118i. I appreciate they’re different cars but they’re my two choices and ultimately I have to compromise - either in boot space or on engine speed.
green justin
Bronze Member

Post by green justin »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:03 am Cheers for the feedback monkeyhanger. Green Justin you’re right, it’s insane, but on carwow both the r-line golf 8 and bmw 118i m sport are just over £24k with about £200 between them. VW are starting to get greedy now. They can’t sell many arteons as they are prices like an Audi, which is the same problem the cc had. I’m no badge snob, but if I can get an Audi or bmw for the same price I’m going to - they hold their value better in the uk and as a pcp buyer that changes every 2-3 years I have to consider that.

Once this Covid situation is resolved I’ll go test the gti+ vs the 118i. I appreciate they’re different cars but they’re my two choices and ultimately I have to compromise - either in boot space or on engine speed.
On the Polo GTI, try and spec a roof box if you need the extra luggage space.
BMW M118i Boot of 380 litres is not much vs Polo GTI of 305 litres.
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

To be fair I would look into the BMW way again if i were you.
A few things has disapointed me with the Polo GTI such as soud and MPG.
If you are looking for something fast, nimble and fun I would rather look for used 235is or 135is to be honest.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:40 am To be fair I would look into the BMW way again if i were you.
A few things has disapointed me with the Polo GTI such as soud and MPG.
If you are looking for something fast, nimble and fun I would rather look for used 235is or 135is to be honest.
The older RWD BMW135/235 is not a practical car, very small in the back and certainly noticeably thirstier than the Polo GTI and needs RON98 fuel. The older 1 series is hideous too.

The newly released FWD 4pot M135 is much more practical - rivalling the Golf for rear space, but still thirstier than the Polo GTI+, and that great engine mote of the old one has been lost with the.newer 4pot engine replacing the old 6 pot. You won't find one in the Polo price range until it's been out 2 years. The new M135 is much better looking than the old one.

Polo.GTI fuel economy is a little disappointing on shorter journeys, but I am comparing previous manual box VWs I have owned with this DSG Polo, and I know from past comparisons that a DSG 6 speed is around 10% thirstier than a 6 speed manual with the same engine. If I could've got a manual variant, I'm sure I'd be beating 40mpg on a 10 mile journey every day.

If you're used to 6 speed DSG VWs and the fuel economy penalty that comes with choosing, I'm sure the mpg won't be a disappointment.

On a 10 mile journey I'm getting 30mpg in heavy traffic and 37mpg in very light traffic. On my 32 mile each way commute, I'm averaging 42mpg maintaining 75mph on dual carriageway, and on a 90 mile journey from Newcastle to York maintaining, maintaining 75mph I'll get about 47mpg. That won't be beaten by the BMW, nowhere near.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@MintyGTI; if the new BMW 1 series becomes a consideration, once current lockdown restrictions are eased, I’d say take a look at each in the metal and try and get an extended test drive of both so you can evaluate which would be best for you.

Different people have different priorities when considering a car, and by comparing one against the other in terms of list price / available discounts, build quality, performance/economy/ride/handling, cabin space, boot space, tech, standard spec, options (and cost of options) etc, etc. you’ll be able to make an informed choice. The Polo is one of the largest cars in the B segment, so will probably won’t lose out too much in terms of cabin space when compared to the C segment BMW 1 series.

Other considerations;
  • Manufacturer / dealer incentives available at the time of ordering.
  • Delivery / lead times; historically, BMW have been able to turn a factory order around far quicker than VW. However, due to Covid-19, BMW factories building the 1 series (Leipzig and Regensburg, Germany) are both currently closed, so there may be a backlog of orders to clear when they re-open (scheduled for next week). As far as I’m aware, VW’s Uitenhage factory in South Africa where UK Polos are built has remained open, so assuming no issues with either the supply chain or availability of production workers, they’ll have still been building cars - so no backlog of orders to clear. Prior to lockdown in the UK, lead times on a factory order GTI / GTI+ was around 4.5 - 5 months, although this may now be longer if any stages of delivery of cars from the factory to the dealer are affected by Covid-19.
Manny550
New
Drives: POLO GTI+, GOLF R MK7, POLO GTI+ OPF.

Post by Manny550 »

If anyone ever mentions a 18+ plate polo gti id always tell them I think its the best value for money car you can buy. Id agree with @monkeyhanger, I liked mine so much after a few weeks we bought another one! The polo GTI+ was bought as a second car for myself as I've got a mk7 dsg R but I find myself only ever driving the GTI (going to sell the R now as no need!). Its very fun and its quite cheap to fill even pre lockdown fuel prices! for the price you cannot go wrong, its got all the kit you need is very fast and is quite good on mpg. Of course short journeys you'll only return 20/30 mpg. But on the motorway the revs are very low at 70mph.

I also own a 18 plate 335d x drive m sport and have had other bmw including 1 series. Personally I do find performance vw holding value much better even when it comes to pcp, though I do buy my cars and don't finance them really. For the money a polo gti cannot be beaten its just so fun to drive. Not really a fan of the new 1 series but I have to say the previous m140i engine is something, I'm going to buy one in a few months as its the last rear wheel drive 1 series with a 6 cylinder!

All I can say is drive a gti you'll be surprised how refined it is, I've even had the previous shape polos normally the 1.2 tsi but this chassis feels much better probably due to being the same as the golf platform.

Have you considered a seat Leon cupra 290 lux? they are a bargain for the amount of kit and performance offered, I ordered one after testing last year but I left it. Again one of the best handing cars I've driven alongside the gti.